Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 07:03 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Throw a bunch of ignorant kids with prejudiced parents and bad preachers in a classroom and that's really what you got with me. Plus, you know, the KKK burning a cross on my lawn.

It's better now.. but in any very conservative, religious community, you find lots of people who take it upon themselves to "show you the light" so to speak which for me happened to involve being bullied, told I was going to hell in great detail, and not having many friends who weren't "minorities" in any way. It might be different in the elementary schools now- I don't know. Most adults and even teenagers are better equipped at dealing with stupid people like that anyway. But as a kid being bullied about your religion and being the ONLY person with that religion, it's not something that is easily understood.
Stop the Lies. You never had a cross burned on your front lawn. You're full of it, and I'm calling you out on it.

This is your way at villifying white people, and since political correctness is anti-white rhetoric, I'm not going to not say anything and let you get away with it. It's tiresome rhetoric, and it needs to end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 07:05 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaAshley View Post
I lived in Marietta for 9 months, right off the square and there were not any Jewish people... Maybe it has changed - I don't know, but everyone I met in the area I was in was a bit overly religious, Christian-wise.

Maybe the Marietta area over by Sandy Springs/Dunwoody is better?

The Sandy Springs/Dunwoody area is best - that is where I am originally from. There seems to be more Orthodox than Conservative there, though.

I live in Alpharetta, near South Forsyth now. There's a Conservative synagogue on Kimball Bridge Road - it's pretty new. There's also two Reform synagogues in Roswell, which is very close by. There are A LOT of Northerners in Alpharetta!
Could it possibly be that it is because Jews are only 2% of the U.S. population, and that a significant portion of that two percent is located within the northeast and South Florida?

Nah, couldn't be.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:41 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Why are Jews so paranoid about "Anti-Semitism". Sheesh!
I don't think it's paranoid to want to raise your children in an area where they'll be accepted. Of course you can't put them in a bubble and, even in a city with a very large Jewish population, I heard ethnic slurs. But there's certainly nothing wrong with avoiding places where you won't be warmly welcomed.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:35 AM

593 posts, read 2,894,107 times
It's not about being warmly welcomed but just feeling like there's nobody else around like you. Having no place to worship or send your kids for sunday school, hebrew school or any other jewish traditions like bar/bat mitzvahs. I can't imagine anyone having a bar mitzvah in north georgia. Here in gwinnett, the one religious school holds sunday school in an office warehouse busines park LOL! Ah the things we do for 1 acre lots.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,898 times
i am in cumming with two small children, if you moved to cumming i would love to connect, as i do feel rather alone in my jewishness. we, too, are looking for a shul, or any outlet for my children that will connect them to their community.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,799 times
My husband and I are Jewish and we live in Cumming. We don't have kids so I can't comment on the schools.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:18 PM

21 posts, read 134,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flava View Post
i am in cumming with two small children, if you moved to cumming i would love to connect, as i do feel rather alone in my jewishness. we, too, are looking for a shul, or any outlet for my children that will connect them to their community.
You must call Chabad of North Fulton! They are so welcoming and have a preschool. You will meet other Jewish families that live in Cumming and N.Fulton there. The Rabbi's and the staff there are fantastic! Good luck and welcome!

Old 10-09-2009, 09:14 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Why are Jews so paranoid about "Anti-Semitism". Sheesh!
Maybe because 6 million of them were gassed, shot, hung, or otherwise murdered just 65 years ago, and now you have the Iranians, Syrians, Saudis, Palestinians, and a variety of Islamic terror groups, neo-nazis, KKK, and other wackos trying to kill or otherwise wipe them out. That might make you a little paranoid, huh?

You know, I'm not trying to minimize the suffering of any group, or ignore the racism that has existed in the post-slavery south, but when you compare the suffering and number of killed, the jews have been persecuted and killed by the hundreds of thousands or millions for the last few thousand years, more than any other group. Maybe that's why they're "so paranoid about anti-semitism" .... ya think?

Old 05-31-2010, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,532 times
Red face Jews in Cumming

I live here and have never had a problem with anti semitism - my son also lives in Cumming and has three school age children. To date they've never had a problem.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:37 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Default Lots of Jewish People

Quote:
Originally Posted by LefflerT View Post
Welcome to Chabad of Alpharetta

I have been there many times, the Rabbi and his wife are extraordinary people, I would look in to it if I were you.
We live near this Chabad and see many people in our neighborhood and around the area walking to the services often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta