U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:18 AM

15,076 posts, read 9,818,281 times

Advertisements

Mayor Kasim Reed is really making his mark. He's been on many national news shows and is among some august company at Chicago Ideas Week. Other speakers include President Clinton, Mayors Michael Bloomberg and Rahm Emanuel, Michelle Rhee, Tom Friedman and lots of other big thinkers.

CIW 2011 Speakers - Chicago Ideas Week (http://www.chicagoideas.com/ciw-2011-speakers/ - broken link)

Way to represent, Mr. Mayor!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 11:33 AM

207 posts, read 219,272 times
I like it.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:54 AM

4,113 posts, read 1,775,539 times
Personally I see all that as cutting into his work for the city. But that is just me. I don't think he is all that good of a mayor.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:56 PM

246 posts, read 159,273 times
I think he is great, especially all of the work he is doing for atlanta and georgia along side our governor in d.c. The state of georgia and city of atlanta haven't always seen eye to eye which is bad for both the state and the city. He also has represented us well on "meet the press". Thats not mentioning his good work on the city budget, airport cargo business, beltline leadership, and police safety presence in atlanta, etc.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:47 PM

15,076 posts, read 9,818,281 times
He's made more of an effort to build a strong relationship with state government than any mayor we've had in decades. Atlanta absolutely must have that.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:20 PM

6,558 posts, read 6,883,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInATL2011 View Post
I think he is great, especially all of the work he is doing for atlanta and georgia along side our governor in d.c. The state of georgia and city of atlanta haven't always seen eye to eye which is bad for both the state and the city. He also has represented us well on "meet the press". Thats not mentioning his good work on the city budget, airport cargo business, beltline leadership, and police safety presence in atlanta, etc.
I too admire the mayor and I really do not understand those who are saying he is a "bad mayor". He has accomplished a hell of a lot since being sworn in and seems to be focused only on making this city better. Not to mention he has done all of this in the middle of a horrid recession for the city and he hasn't even been mayor two years yet.

My feeling is that is attributed to him being born and raised in the city of Atlanta and it has been a long time since we had a mayor that met that qualification.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:15 PM

He wasn't born in GA, NJ I heard, but he was raised in the cascade area of Atlanta and you can tell he really loves the City. I also really like how he concentrates on the after school recreation centers which is how Los Angeles and other big cities have helped to curb violence and crime in the cities youth. Very smart mayor that has shown time and time again that he is bipartisan.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:46 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,705,223 times
I'm not impressed with Reed. He is an improvement, but he still does just enough to get by. Compared to Daley, Menino, Guiliani, Coleman, and other all-time mayoral greats, he sucks. He lacks vision, and has done nothing to take the city to the next level. If Atlanta is to be seen as a world-class city, it's going to take more than the staid status quo that has been in power since the 1970s.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I'm not impressed with Reed. He is an improvement, but he still does just enough to get by. Compared to Daley, Menino, Guiliani, Coleman, and other all-time mayoral greats, he sucks. He lacks vision, and has done nothing to take the city to the next level. If Atlanta is to be seen as a world-class city, it's going to take more than the staid status quo that has been in power since the 1970s.
Would you elaborate your opinion? What has he done or hasn't done that is upsetting you?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:40 PM

483 posts, read 668,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
it's going to take more than the staid status quo that has been in power since the 1970s.
Please elaborate on this statement here. And just what type of vision are you expecting him to show.

Also, from what I read and heard, Mayor Reed is known for balancing the city's budget by limiting the pensions of city employees. This money was instead spent on the police force, as well as on community centers in poor neighborhoods (rather than on reversing the 42% increase in propery taxes passed in 2009).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta