U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 05:47 PM

873 posts, read 1,682,968 times

Advertisements

Creative Loafing Inc. on Monday announced the sale of its newspapers in Tampa and Charlotte, N.C., along with the resignation of its CEO, in a move company officials said would allow them to focus on bigger newspaper markets.

The company's corporate headquarters will shift from Tampa to Atlanta following the sale, which transfers ownership of the two newspapers to SouthComm Inc., a Nashville-based publisher that has bought three other alternative weekly newspapers since it was founded in 2007.

For rest of the story: Creative Loafing sells papers in Tampa, Charlotte - St. Petersburg Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 06:10 PM

876 posts, read 1,177,850 times
I didn't even know CL was in Tampa.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:03 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,179,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Creative Loafing Inc. on Monday announced the sale of its newspapers in Tampa and Charlotte, N.C., along with the resignation of its CEO, in a move company officials said would allow them to focus on bigger newspaper markets.

The company's corporate headquarters will shift from Tampa to Atlanta following the sale, which transfers ownership of the two newspapers to SouthComm Inc., a Nashville-based publisher that has bought three other alternative weekly newspapers since it was founded in 2007.

For rest of the story: Creative Loafing sells papers in Tampa, Charlotte - St. Petersburg Times
I hope we will receive some jobs from this move.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:06 PM

246 posts, read 159,591 times
This is a good win for Atlantic Station, they are still moving there right?

Old 10-12-2011, 01:27 PM

6,907 posts, read 4,390,945 times
Newspapers are a crumbling business as they are losing ad and classified ad revenue. CL used to be packed with ad space but it's getting thinner and thinner.

CL is downsizing and selling off. Not many jobs if any should be coming.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:24 PM

876 posts, read 1,177,850 times
Unfortunately, you are right Mathman, about the dying print media.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:07 PM

246 posts, read 159,591 times
Are websites not enough to bring success to news companies? Seems like if they would just handle their websites correctly, should continue to succeed for decades to come (just maybe not in print format).

Old 10-12-2011, 07:50 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,179,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInATL2011 View Post
Are websites not enough to bring success to news companies? Seems like if they would just handle their websites correctly, should continue to succeed for decades to come (just maybe not in print format).
+1 for this response.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:35 PM

3,773 posts, read 2,950,901 times
This is good to hear. Their headquarters will be a good addition to our community!

Quote:
I did some research in this area in graduate school.

The big complicating problem is ad sales online don't generate as much revenue (per person/subscriber). This makes it harder to use a web reader to pay for the generation of content (writers/editors/etc...).

If you look at the most successful websites at generating ad revenue, they have two things in common: 1) They collect personal information to micro target the ads (and get slightly more money for the ad) and 2) Most of their content isn't self generated (lower cost to them.

Two examples... Facebook and Google. Facebook pays for servers, design, and site maintenance, but they don't need a huge slew of writers. Users make and post their own content for free, which is interesting to other people for social reasons. Google's main business is indexing and linking to other sources of information. Again they design and maintain a site, but most of the content isn't written, its automatically indexed and created by other websites/web postings.

As time moves on I'm sure online news will become bigger and do better, but I'm afraid we will see it shift to a few national and regional news sites and smaller and medium sized cities won't be able to keep up w/o pay subscriptions of some type.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:59 PM

6,907 posts, read 4,390,945 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, sites like Craigslist kills their ability to generate revenue from classified ads.

I'm not sure how well Internet ads are doing. If it were me, I'd tryshowing short commercials before allowing a user to read any content. I already see this happening with video report clips. I see banner ads popup and shrink away but I personally ignore them.

I think the print media will have to eventually merge with one of the local television news staffs to provide both on-line and tv news. To their credit, the on-line newspapers are way better than the on-line local news sites. To me, all the local news stations are more akin to McNews.

Although, honestly, I'm watching less and less television. Maybe the television business model will have to go on-line as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta