Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:19 PM

595 posts, read 2,338,157 times

Advertisements

99% of all clubs in Atlanta are not in residential zoned areas. People that moved near retail and entertainment areas are the ones complaining.

Music Midtown and freaknik aren't even remotely related. Freaknik was vile, and had a mob mentality with it, where as Music Midtown just had big crowds, and loud music. Music Midtown was around long before Atlanta really started to develop the way it has now.

Shutting down bars most of which were not causing any trouble at all was stupid. A lot of people lost a good deal of money.

Of course I moved to New Orleans, where people in the French Quarter expect, yes it's going to be a bit loud but that's what you get when you live in the city. (Although I live Uptown NOLA)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 02:38 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,776,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
Of course I moved to New Orleans, where people in the French Quarter expect, yes it's going to be a bit loud but that's what you get when you live in the city. (Although I live Uptown NOLA)
There they can expect that, but there are very few cities in the world you could compare to the party-party atmosphere of New Orleans, too. Atlanta is a business city with some bars tossed in - New Orleans is a tourist party destination (similar to South Beach in the party sense, etc).

Old 08-23-2007, 03:35 PM

595 posts, read 2,338,157 times
That's odd (me looks out window) nope, executives walking all around to and from their corporate offices.
Party-party is primarily Bourbon St. but I wouldn't call the city party party, I certainly work harder here than I did in Atlanta.

But I still want to see Atlanta succeed at something besides urban sprawl and traffic, as it was where I was born.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
People LIVE around those places. When bars let out at 3-4am and the drunks pour onto the streets yelling, drag racing, playing loud Rap from the cars... this can all be heard by thousands of residents that live nearby..

I for one am shocked of the new developments, and thinks its a shame --- that area has been around for years, and has really grown to be apart of the city's atmosphere and appeal, many other things could have been done to affectively make it a safer area without closing down the strip -- i think that was a stupid, STUPID move for Atlanta. There are a certain type of people that hand out in buckhead -- a certain type, that frankly, i dont like, and I dont want to be around -- but now, the clubs and bars that are left are only around In my neighborhood or just outside my neighborhood In the lil 5, Highlands and midtown art district, which I think is absolutely disgusting, and absolutely destroy these neighborhoods to have the club goers from buckhead merging into our club districts, which i dont want to have around this area --- they did not solve anything, they are simply relocating the problem out of the ritzy snob loaded area that flash money to get heard and risen up to be important, and throwing it on the lower class areas where they dont really care if we have a complaint or not, because we dont have the money to make our problems matter.

And regarding your quote above --- I have lived in the midtown Art district my entire life, and I for one can vouche that yes, the Live music can he heard a few blocks away, but it by NO MEANS compares to ANYTHING that you are referring to --- And I have a friend that lives 2 blocks from the buckhead strip, about 5-10 min. walking distance depending on how fast you walk, and even from her apartment, you could **NOT** hear anything of the loud parties -- you heard regular traffic, and thats it. Her own apartment complex neighbors created more rucus then any of the Buckhead clubs -- yes, traffic was absolutely HORRID, and the crime was horrible, but the noise is just a complete cop-out excuse.

Like I said earlier, there were tons of things they could have done different to settle the issues regarding traffic and crime, and they simply failed to do so, so they just wrote off their problem because they didn't want to deal with it, not because they actually thought it was the proper solution -- just because they didnt want to take the time to go about it in the proper manner to perserve the location. Which I think is a sad shame.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
There they can expect that, but there are very few cities in the world you could compare to the party-party atmosphere of New Orleans, too. Atlanta is a business city with some bars tossed in - New Orleans is a tourist party destination (similar to South Beach in the party sense, etc).

Atlanta is NOT a business city. Atlanta has a ton of thriving businesses and corporations, but by all technicalities, Atlanta is listed as one of the CULTURAL ARTS city in the country right now -- and has been the number one up and coming entertainment cities for years now.

Last edited by jxu66; 09-20-2007 at 08:05 PM..

Old 09-20-2007, 08:17 PM

96 posts, read 404,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordigen View Post
Atlanta is NOT a business city.
Are you kidding me? Ummmm: Coca Cola, GP, HomeDepot...It is definitely a business city.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:58 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,229,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordigen View Post
Atlanta is NOT a business city. Atlanta has a ton of thriving businesses and corporations, but by all technicalities, Atlanta is listed as one of the CULTURAL ARTS city in the country right now -- and has been the number one up and coming entertainment cities for years now.
OK, I am not going to say there is no cultural arts withing the city, but just where in this ranking is Atlanta? I cannot imagine it is higher than New York, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, or other similar large cities. While the High is impressive, and the one real theater in town is decent, the lack of an "arts district" or "theater district" really makes it hard to compare to these other cities.

So anyways, I would like to see this list.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:14 PM

180 posts, read 265,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
OK, I am not going to say there is no cultural arts withing the city, but just where in this ranking is Atlanta? I cannot imagine it is higher than New York, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, or other similar large cities. While the High is impressive, and the one real theater in town is decent, the lack of an "arts district" or "theater district" really makes it hard to compare to these other cities.

So anyways, I would like to see this list.

One real theater? I assume you're speaking of live theater...and there are dozens:
Actor's Express at King Plow, Alliance Theater, 14th Street Playhouse, Peachtree Playhouse, 7 Stages, Variety Playhouse, Ansley Park Playhouse, Whole World Theater, Stage Door Players, Dad's Garage, Shakespeare Tavern, Kudzu Playhouse, Theater in the Square, Horizon Theater, The Sweet Auburn Theater Company, Atlanta Lyric Theater, Theater Decatur, The Center for Puppetry Arts, The Fox Theater, The Rialto Theater, The Ferst Center...it could go on and on, but that's all I can think of right now. I would say there is more than one legitimate theater in Atlanta.

There are also other museums of note:
The Michael C. Carlos Museum
The Atlanta History Center
MODA/Atlanta Museum of Art and Design
The Braves Museum and Hall of Fame
The World of Coke
The Cyclorama
Fernbank Museum of Natural History
MOCA/Museum of Contemporary Art of Georgia
The Booth Western Museum
APEX Museum
Imagine It! Children's Museum of Atlanta
The Jewish Heritage Museum
The Margaret Mitchell Museum
The Carter Center
and the living museums...The Georgia Aquarium, The Botanical Garden, and ZooAtlanta.

Additionally, Woodruff Arts Center is one of the largest in the U.S, combining visual and performing arts...Alliance Theater, Atlanta Symphony, Young Audiences/14th Street Playhouse, and The High Museum.

It's nice to live in Atlanta when you realize the entertainment options available, and sometimes you even have to look for them.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:13 PM

86 posts, read 414,609 times
Talking Nice

Hey, that's an impressive list.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:30 PM

180 posts, read 265,852 times
I think it's a nice list for a city the size of Atlanta...that's not counting other entertainment, like the 4 major professional sports teams...3 major universities and all that they have to offer, the Atlanta Ballet, the Atlanta Opera, some major historical sites and birthplaces of famous people, Six Flags and Whitewater, the Silver Comet Trail, infamous strip clubs, the festivals around the city, etc...etc...

There are a buttload of things to entertain people in almost any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta