U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 02:38 PM

25,241 posts, read 20,301,505 times
It is a fashion statement, one I made add that was started in the African-American community and everntually people of all colors and ethnicities came to adopt and wear. It happens. It doesn't look very educated. Then again, many persons who do wear the sagging pants don't do so to look educated. I think it came from when children in the ghettoes didn't have the money to buy nice clothes and they wore their older siblings pants, which were often too big for them. It became a fashion statement later on. Banning sagging pants won't stop all of the crime because people wearing anything can committ any crime. What many persons are afraid of are the "black crime". Banning sagging pants won't solve problems. One might FEEL safer because there aren't persons in saggy pants walking around, but it doesn't mean that people will actually BE safer. Sagging pants don't look very smart. I agree, but banning saggy pants is sort of ridiculous. My suggestion is if someone is wearing sagging pants, that person needs to wear larger shirts to cover it all up to prevent others from seeing their undergarments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 02:42 PM

401 posts, read 1,133,843 times
Nooooo! We need to keep baggy pants forever... the more the better! My brother-in-law was a cop for several years, and he says that he caught dozens of perps simply because they can't run with their pants hanging at their knees. It is the best thing that ever happened to law enforcement!

In fact, I'll go a step further. I think anyone with a criminal record should be required to wear them at all times so that they are easier to catch if they commit another crime.

Plus it helps kids at school figure out who has half a brain and who doesn't.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:44 PM

3,275 posts, read 3,722,635 times
This ordinance will be more symbolic than strongly enforced. I'll continue to wear my pants how I want (with a bit "low ride", but the ridiculous amount done by some folks), and I won't get a ticket for it. I am shocked actually that Atlanta is looking to do this with all of the other problems they are facing. How about working on something else more worthwhile rather than these petty things?

Old 08-23-2007, 02:49 PM

401 posts, read 1,133,843 times
Here is an interesting blog entry on saggin' written by an African American. I won't comment on it.. I'll just leave it for everyone to read and take from it what they will. The blog entry is the first one listed under "Top Posts" on the right side.

http://notthead.wordpress.com/2006/10/19/saggin-backward-*****s-pull-your-pants-up/ (broken link)

Last edited by cmtiger; 08-23-2007 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-23-2007, 02:55 PM

6,908 posts, read 15,425,406 times
cmtiger has it right. They can hold up a convenience store in baggy pants, but they can't run well with one hand holding up the pants and the other trying to hold on to the loot. In fact they can't carry nearly as much loot as they could if both hands were free.

And while we are on the subject, we went to a g'child basketball game and the woman in front of me had on a pair of those low-slung jeans. I had to keep my eyes on the game because if I looked down I could see just about her entire crack. The impulse to drop something crawly down there was almost irresistible.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:57 PM

2,127 posts, read 3,825,845 times
I wonder if plumbers would protest if this ordinance was passed??????

Old 08-23-2007, 04:47 PM

276 posts, read 766,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Personally I think it's not really needed to have a "law" that forbids them, but I do agree that it's an incredibly stupid trend. Of course, you have to wonder how much of it is just to be trendy, or, if those baggy pants can hold a lot of merchanside if you're in a store.

Funny too how a couple of activists have already said the law is racist and is "profiling" since this particular trend started with young black males... but the city councilman who brought it up is black. I could care less if someone is purple - I don't wanna see your ass or skidmarks when you're walking in front of me. ick.
Couldnt have said it better myself...Good post
Lisa

Old 08-23-2007, 04:48 PM

276 posts, read 766,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
cmtiger has it right. They can hold up a convenience store in baggy pants, but they can't run well with one hand holding up the pants and the other trying to hold on to the loot. In fact they can't carry nearly as much loot as they could if both hands were free.

And while we are on the subject, we went to a g'child basketball game and the woman in front of me had on a pair of those low-slung jeans. I had to keep my eyes on the game because if I looked down I could see just about her entire crack. The impulse to drop something crawly down there was almost irresistible.
lol..I wonder if she would have even noticed lol...Could have been an interesting site to say the least lol...
Lisa

Old 08-23-2007, 06:32 PM

9,125 posts, read 22,345,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtiger View Post
Here is an interesting blog entry on saggin' written by an African American. I won't comment on it.. I'll just leave it for everyone to read and take from it what they will. The blog entry is the first one listed under "Top Posts" on the right side.
I couldn't agree more with that blog entry- perception is reality, and the people who are using this "fashion statement" are being viewed by me and probably thousands of others as uneducated people who don't care enough to take care in how they look, and are losing opportunities as a result. Is it necessarily the "right" thing to do- discriminating against someone because of how they choose to dress? Probably not- but it happens often enough that people should start paying more attention to what their actions and choices are causing, rather than complaining that "the man is bringin' me down...."

Bob

Old 08-23-2007, 09:22 PM

9,112 posts, read 20,397,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Come on people, instead of hiding we need to come forward and point out how stupid kids look when they sag their jeans. Do a huge service for the community and point and laugh at the next kid you see sporting a sag!
Um, you've BEEN here, right? You've got about a 25% chance of getting a gun aimed at your own butt if you do that to a teen here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta