Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 09:33 AM

9 posts, read 28,427 times

Advertisements

My husband has recently been offered an employment opportunity in Smyrna, GA and we are trying to figure out if the area is a good fit for our family.

We prefer a mid-size town/city with a small-town vibe. We love neighborhoods with character and a real sense of community.

We are not into strip malls, cookie-cutter houses, and endless urban sprawl.

We would be willing to consider any towns around the Smyrna area, provided they are within a reasonable commute.

We have one small child, so schools are also important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 11:11 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,199 times
I live in Smyrna and love it. It is relatively close to all that Atlanta has to offer. It would definitely fit into your description of of a midsize city with a small town feel. As for cookie cutter homes and strip malls we have our share but not yet out of control. Most everyone that lives hear feels that way and we definitely let our Mayor and Council know that.

As for schools it is hit and miss. There are definitely good schools but you need identify them and target homes in those neighborhoods to avoid the weak links. The area is going through a redistricting right now. The proposed maps were just released this week. I will provide a link later if someone else does not.

Smyrna is a great place to live and would be an easy commute if you find that you like it.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:13 AM

9 posts, read 28,427 times
Thanks lorilove! I would appreciate the link and also some tips on which schools to avoid.

Are there any particular areas of town or neighborhoods that you would recommend?

Old 10-20-2011, 01:10 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezylane View Post
Thanks lorilove! I would appreciate the link and also some tips on which schools to avoid.

Are there any particular areas of town or neighborhoods that you would recommend?

I also love Smyrna and I live right outside city-limits. Wonderful neighborhood with no problems at all. There is an elementary school (Russell Elementary) and Covered Bridge Montessori School right over in this neighborhood, and I attached a link showing you the area I live in Foxfire Road, Smyrna, GA - Google Maps I'm not sure of the school ratings because I have no kids (lol) so usually education is something I am not looking at. Peace and quiet and away from the city of Atlanta. I always say to my friends my part of Smyrna still reminds me of country living. Come visit the city, I'm pretty sure you would love it. Wal-Mart, Restaurants, Shopping (Target, Kohls, Ross) are all within a 10 min range in Austell/Marietta/Smyrna/Mableton. You can also go to https://www.crimereports.com/ and view the latest stats for this area .... ZERO!!

Also, I am always driving to the city to go out and to hang with college friends and family. Another good thing is it only takes about 15 or 20 mins to get to Atlanta (minus mornings and 4 to 7 lol). On any given day you never know what traffic is going to look like on 285 (west), if I'm not in a rush to get to the city, or if there are traffic jams, I could easily take any (S. Cobb Dr, Mableton Parkway, Bankhead Hwy, East-West Connector, Atlanta Road) to get to the city. You can breath much better on this side (West Cobb) vs. the top Perimeter, East side, or out south (in my opinion) in terms of congestions.

Last edited by bornjacksonian; 10-20-2011 at 01:42 PM..

Old 10-20-2011, 05:24 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,199 times
Here is the link to the school redistricting with the two maps. I don't have school aged children some of the schools that I hear consistently good comments about included Teasley, Nickajack and King Springs

2011 CCSD Redistricting

Here is a great resource for keeping up with Smyrna:

Smyrna-Vinings, GA Patch - News, Sports, Events, Businesses & Deals

Old 10-21-2011, 06:37 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,248,528 times
Vinings is right next door.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:40 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
Vinings is right next door.
So is Mableton. Though that's probably better for the Mableton folks than the Smyrna folks.

I like Mableton in general, and the northern half of Mableton is very similar to Smyrna but with no city taxes. A few other differences, but nothing major.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:25 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,248,528 times
Vinings Jubilee | Atlanta : Shopping & Dining, heart of Vinings Village This place is neat. Noche is the bomb.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 PM

858 posts, read 1,384,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezylane View Post
We are not into strip malls, cookie-cutter houses, and endless urban sprawl.
I used to live in Smyrna and that's pretty much exactly how I'd describe it, except I'd add crime-ridden to the list if you're on the east side. Character? I'm not even sure where Smyrna's city center is. I suppose the Market Village is the closest thing it has to a downtown but that's just a mixed-use development that's half vacant now.

You really should consider Marietta, it's a lot closer to what you're wanting. It's a proper city with its own history and character. It has a nice downtown area with a lot of local businesses and activities. It's been a real city for as long as Atlanta has.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:46 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,402,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
I used to live in Smyrna and that's pretty much exactly how I'd describe it, except I'd add crime-ridden to the list if you're on the east side. Character? I'm not even sure where Smyrna's city center is. I suppose the Market Village is the closest thing it has to a downtown but that's just a mixed-use development that's half vacant now.

You really should consider Marietta, it's a lot closer to what you're wanting. It's a proper city with its own history and character. It has a nice downtown area with a lot of local businesses and activities. It's been a real city for as long as Atlanta has.
So wait....crime ridden? Smyrna? And in the same token you suggest Marietta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta