Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 03:28 PM

245 posts, read 652,777 times

Advertisements

Boone, NC is an awesome place. Hopping little town, great hiking/camping, right off the BRP, gorgeous area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 03:40 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
We rented a cabin in Waleska this past weekend. Horseback riding, fishing, skeet shooting and lots of eating. Humber-guest ranch-Humberland-Humberland Guest Ranch-Horseback Riding-North Georgia Horseback Riding-Lodging-Guest Ranch-Events-Fishing-Weddings-Birthday Parties-Waleska,Ga 30183-riding lessons

Old 10-27-2011, 03:53 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Asheville is also fun (I'm forming an Occupy Biltmore for over the holidays), but it is more of a city than a mountain get-away. Lots of good restaurants and Grove Park Inn is supposed to be a great place to stay for those who won't be pitching tents on the estate.
We went on a brief Asheville getaway in the summer, stayed at the Haywood Park Hotel (an historic department store building, repurposed) which was great because you could just walk all round the downtown restaurants and shops.

Drove up Mt. Mitchell (highest point in the eastern USA) which was pretty neat. Lots of great scenery and outdoor opportunities.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:55 PM

58 posts, read 131,921 times
When i used to live in Atlanta I often thought of buying property in the Dawsonville area so I could commute to that area from Atlanta. That way I could spend A LOT of time up around Dahlonega. That is how beautiful the area is.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:12 AM

704 posts, read 936,406 times
I am from Marietta and have been in the Military for the past 20 years. Over time, I started returning home only once every 4 or 5 years. When I do visit, I always take in all the sights around Atlanta and make a trip down memory lane.

My pilgrimage consists of a stop in Helen, GA, then on to visit Greenville, SC. From there through the Blue Ridge Pkwy to Cherokee, NC for a stay on the Reservation. After that, it's over the Smokies to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, TN. The last stop on my loop is Huntsville, AL with a visit to the Space Center.

On a few visits, rafting down the Nantahala River in Western North Carolina was fun. I've also spent some time hiking Cloudland Canyon Park and DeSoto Falls/Little River Canyon Park.

After living all over the world, I can say with absolute certainty that the Southern States offer some of the most beautiful scenery in the world.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:02 AM

334 posts, read 528,636 times
A lot of people hate Helen? Seriously??? WHY?

Helen is my favorite place in the entire state of Georgia. I absolutely LOVE Helen. Just talked my sister out of spending her 40th bday weekend at some luxury hotel and directed her to a lovely B&B in Helen instead. I love it there. One of the most peaceful places around.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:36 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe404 View Post
Possibly because it's a tourist trap. You tend to get polarized responses to such places. My mom loves it! I think it's cool to see from the road, but not on Memorial Day weekend! Can you say parking lot?

I might add that the little gift shop by the river on the north end of town that has the helicopter rides makes really good mini apple pies, and also good apple butter!

Old 11-09-2011, 04:59 AM

704 posts, read 936,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe404 View Post
Because they are smokin' crack! These are the same people that visit Europe and complain the whole time they are there.

Both Helen, GA and Leavenworth, WA offer a nice Bavarian experience without having to leave the United States.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:39 PM

11 posts, read 23,271 times
I prefer Gatliburg myself. We book a cabin through Gatlinburg cabins Now and had a blast. Horseback riding, fishing, skeet shooting and lots of eating. do bring your appetite because you will need it.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:52 AM

403 posts, read 1,193,538 times
Great feedback. Keep it coming!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta