Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 12:05 PM

225 posts, read 369,039 times

Advertisements

I was wondering why Walmart is not that big in the Atlanta metro

People seem to chose targert or publix over wal mart in metro Atlanta. I was wondering why? Because all the place I have been too, Will chose wally world over anything.

Also its not that many
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 12:28 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
I don't think that's really the case. There are at least 4 Wal Mart Super Centers inside the perimeter and several within a few miles of the perimeter. And aren't they gonna build one in the West End in the next year or so? There may be a couple more Targets ITP but I don't think any are Super Targets.

I don't see Publix as a direct competitor with WM since it's a grocery store only.

I have seen the anti-Wal Mart attitude a lot of places. In some ways I agree with it but I never understood why people give Target a pass when they are guilty of a lot of the same practices. I think Target has nicer stores and on some areas the overall quality of the products they carry is higher but Wal Mart beats them hands down on sheer selection.

One thing I don't understand is why no Wal Marts ITP are open 24 hours while pretty much all Wal Marts in podunkville are. It's really not that there are more options late at night in the city because everything else beside Kroger is closed as well.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:29 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,020,143 times
Imo Walmart is bigger in other cities because those cities do not have 24 hour grocery stores. Here 24 hour grocery stores such as kroger is everywhere. Most people shop for food at 3am instead of shopping for clothes at Walmart at 3am

Old 10-25-2011, 01:00 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
I don't think so at all. I live not too far from Walmart on Howell Mill and we go there, Publix, and Kroger. They are all in the same general area. Target at Atlantic Station isn't too far either.

Most of the people I know shop at Walmart more than Target. I go to Target more mostly because they have quicker lines. Walmart lines take longer to get through than it takes me to shop.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:22 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,925 times
I go to Target mostly because my nearest Walmart--Ashford-Dunwoody, is without a doubt the worst Walmart in the history of the chain. Target's are generally better run, but Walmart (except the one already mentioned) usually has more home improvement type stuff. I'm not sure who the Walmart on AD caters to, at least the one on Peachtree Industrial has a tremendous produce department even while they suck on everything else.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:26 PM

454 posts, read 821,312 times
A lot of people will go anywhere rather than Walmart. Personally I will happily pay 10% more not to shop there and have anything to do with their slimey business practices.

Also they are not exactly known for selling quality foods compared to Publix etc.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:26 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Reasons I prefer Target over Walmart.

1. More than 1 checkout line open. Don't have to wait forever. (Walmart has more lines in the store, but they are only used on days like black friday, all other days ONLY 1 or 2 are open).

2. Less overloaded families with screaming kids running around (more pleasant shopping experience).

3. Their stuff is cheap because you get what you pay for.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:45 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I go to Target mostly because my nearest Walmart--Ashford-Dunwoody, is without a doubt the worst Walmart in the history of the chain.
And your nearest Target is one of THE nicest I've ever been in.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:08 PM

225 posts, read 369,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I go to Target mostly because my nearest Walmart--Ashford-Dunwoody, is without a doubt the worst Walmart in the history of the chain. Target's are generally better run, but Walmart (except the one already mentioned) usually has more home improvement type stuff. I'm not sure who the Walmart on AD caters to, at least the one on Peachtree Industrial has a tremendous produce department even while they suck on everything else.
I notice that many Walmarts here kind of sketchy down here as well. They aren't managae in a way that I am use too.

I am from Texas, and Walmart is very big down there. Once a new development goes up, Wal mart is building a facility right next door. However,The facilities are usually more clean and staff more friendly.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:13 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
Personally I don't get the attraction to either Walmart or Target. If I go to them then generally it is Target not Walmart because it is not as much sensory overload. Even then I go in with one or two things to get and never wander through those stores. I don't like one stop shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta