U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-30-2011, 01:01 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,991,150 times

Advertisements

Nightlife is ok here I guess but I wish there was still a large party district with a dozen or so bars and clubs that packed the people in. It's more about the energy surrounding those clubs and bars than the actual places themselves. Even our so-called entertainment districts are spread out and don't really draw a lot of people into a concentrated area. With the weather the way it is in Atlanta there should be a full-on street party somewhere every weekend from April to the end of October.

That being said, nightlife is a bit overrated to me nowadays. I don't dance and I don't like to pay a steep cover charge for the privilege of paying for overpriced drinks. I also don't like to introduce myself to women by screaming in their ear 5 times before they can actually figure out my name. Aside from seeing live music on occasion, I consider most of it a waste of time and money.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 02:57 AM

8,524 posts, read 8,317,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
I wonder what people are looking for in this city when they say night life sucks here. I can't find enough time and money to do all the nightlife events I want to do or get invited to on facebook.
I'll tell you: "I want it to fall in my lap"

That's what they are looking for. Most often the person that says ATL nightlife sucks is not creative(not that you have to be) and is a boring person and possibly have limited views.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:02 AM

864 posts, read 400,304 times
Yeah, I don't even go to clubs " just because" so having a club district doesn't really matter all that much as just having other stuff around like late night dinners or something.I go because of a specific genre or artist. There is enough here for me but I also use the internet to keep up. Maybe I of a demographic where having them all in one spot wouldn't matter anyway because I would only want to go to one for a specific reason.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:42 PM

2,683 posts, read 5,742,133 times
If anything I think Atlanta is UNDER-HYPED. There is absolutely no hype at all about Atlanta outside the American Black population. Especially since I've been living overseas (Japan and now Italy), Atlanta usually is not one of the first places on the list (actually not on the list at all) of places people want to visit. With Italians and other Europeans, the only time they'll ever set foot in Atlanta is to transfer flights at H-J. I think cities like NYC and LA are over-hyped. Other than being the two largest cities in the U.S., I really don't see what's so special about those cities, and what they have that Atlanta doesn't. Atlanta has a lot to offer for those that know the city, but since its attractions and amenities aren't world famous like they are in NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, Boston, Miami, Seattle, etc. most people have no interest in it. The other disadvantage of Atlanta is it lacks a natural setting, other than forests, a river, and a few lakes.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:21 PM

88 posts, read 75,477 times
It sounds like some of you are just burnt out.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:20 AM

11,119 posts, read 6,974,856 times
Quote:
Yeah, I don't even go to clubs " just because" so having a club district doesn't really matter all that much as just having other stuff around like late night dinners or something.I go because of a specific genre or artist. There is enough here for me but I also use the internet to keep up. Maybe I of a demographic where having them all in one spot wouldn't matter anyway because I would only want to go to one for a specific reason.
But I think that's the issue; sometimes you don't really have a specific destination in mind, but you just want to walk around and take in the vibe and energy of an urban nightlife scene and you just may stumble upon something that piques your interest. Sometimes those turn out to be the best experiences and that's really what an urban scene in general is all about.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:19 AM

8,135 posts, read 7,455,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
If anything I think Atlanta is UNDER-HYPED. There is absolutely no hype at all about Atlanta outside the American Black population. Especially since I've been living overseas (Japan and now Italy), Atlanta usually is not one of the first places on the list (actually not on the list at all) of places people want to visit. With Italians and other Europeans, the only time they'll ever set foot in Atlanta is to transfer flights at H-J. I think cities like NYC and LA are over-hyped. Other than being the two largest cities in the U.S., I really don't see what's so special about those cities, and what they have that Atlanta doesn't. Atlanta has a lot to offer for those that know the city, but since its attractions and amenities aren't world famous like they are in NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, Boston, Miami, Seattle, etc. most people have no interest in it. The other disadvantage of Atlanta is it lacks a natural setting, other than forests, a river, and a few lakes.
Right.Atlanta of course may not be well known as those other cities.Its because cities like Seattle,Boston,San Francisco,etc..have natuaral barriers or natural beauty.The only city where Night -Life gives it such a great reputation is Miami.And yes its WAY over-rated.

You sound like you could be in the military.I have met many people from overseas due to my business of providing houses to international students and interns.

This weekend I provided a party along with my tenants so they could invite their other mainly international friends from around the world to experience Halloween in America.

This is the honest truth.These mostly "white" European ,South AMerican and some Asians say to me over the last 7 years ive been doing this is that Atlanta is a wonderful city with the best clubs/bars they have been .

From Noni's in the Auburn/Edgwood Area,Opera,Sutra,etc in Midtown,Castleberryhill Downtown and for the record,Buckhead is STILL a entertainment district.There are many clubs/bars still around.Its not what it was but overalll its still there.
These areas are growing,NOT getting smaller

I hear more people mad because things have change.Change happens.People just should get used to that and they may find what they did not know they there are things and places that are better than first realized.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:53 AM

864 posts, read 400,304 times
Wouldn't those string of clubs in East Atlanta be considered a "club district"?

Old 10-31-2011, 12:55 PM

8,135 posts, read 7,455,377 times
Quote:
Wouldn't those string of clubs in East Atlanta be considered a "club district"?
I do.I did not feel like posting them all.I love hanging out there.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:46 AM

8,937 posts, read 5,911,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I think cities like NYC and LA are over-hyped. Other than being the two largest cities in the U.S., I really don't see what's so special about those cities, and what they have that Atlanta doesn't.
No one can seriously be that oblivious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta