U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:54 AM

7,112 posts, read 8,374,649 times

Advertisements

1. More house and land for the money
2. Better schools
3. Low crime
4. Low taxes
5. Can have a car and park it in a garage
6. More attractive green setting
7. Better environment to raise children and have pets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 09:11 AM

29,421 posts, read 26,378,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
1) Schools
2) Schools
3) Schools
Yep. Although you can get outstanding public elementary schools in the city, and of course there are tons of fantastic private schools.

In many parts of the city crime is a non-issue and is no different than in the suburbs.

And of course you can have cars and garages in the city. And big yards and plenty of space for your kids and pets to run around.

I think it mainly comes down to personal preference. Most people who live in the city work in the suburbs, so you can just as easily ask why do they pay $2 million for a house inside the city limits yet commute to a job every day in Alpharetta, Johns Creek or Duluth. They could just as easily afford a house in CCOS, Sugarloaf or River Club and be near where they work.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:16 PM

397 posts, read 721,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Why do people buy very expensive homes out in the suburbs and have long commutes into the city for work?

I just do not get why people buy 2 million dollar houses out in places like Sugarloaf, CCOS, River Club, etc., and yet they have to commute in the city every day! I know people who live out in those places and they commute every day to downtown, midtown, and Buckhead. These people could easily afford a nice home in Ansley Park, Buckhead, Druid Hills, etc. I get the whole public school thing but if you are spending that much money on a house you most likely can afford private school, and there are many people who live in these places that use private schools.
These people, that you know....what did they say when you asked them?

Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 PM

21,871 posts, read 13,124,161 times
To each their own - no judgment. I don't think you have a voice unless you are paying for someone's mortgage. That being said, a million dollars in the City versus a million dollars in the suburbs buys you very different sized/types of properties.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:34 PM

864 posts, read 890,272 times
Meh, I like the close in suburbs like Sandy Springs, Decature, Dunwoody and Chamblee over the sprawled out ones like Duluth and Conyers. Kids don't need a huge yard because by the time I got big enough to use it all I wanted to explore the neighborhood and parks. I'd only worry about schools/safety and closeness to work more the home size and how close Walmart is. I think kids who grow up in denser areas develop better social skills and more unique personalities abd independence in general. I'm saying this as someone who grew up in a burb. The kids who lived in town always seemed more interesting and creative.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
No offense, but I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say that I'm getting really sick of the urban elitism on this board. Many of the urban dwellers seem to display the exact type of myopic vision they claim only exists in the suburbs.
I completely agree. The growth of this region has been powered by its suburbs. They are beautiful and in many cases denser, more diverse and more sophisticated than areas inside the city limits. It's nonsense for someone inside the city proper to put on airs.

At the same time, it's amazing how many folks in the suburbs seem to think it's open season on us city dwellers. The fact is our neighborhoods are just as safe as yours. We have big green yards with dogs and kids running around and playing just like you do. We also have 3 car garages, Little League, golf courses, parks, and any other amenity the suburbs offer. We have some fantastic elementary schools that are on a par with any others, and we're working hard on our high schools as well. We've got terrific shopping, outstanding universities, and in many areas you can get around without even having a car.

Yeah, our taxes are too high but we're working on that. A big chunk of that is legacy costs left over from mismanagement in years past but we're getting it under control.

And don't underestimate how hard we've worked to improve our quality of life. We're adding greenspace. We've already got great transit and we're kicking it up to a new level with things like the Beltline and the Streetcar. We've been working on our museums, sports and convention facilities, streetscapes, airports, you name it.

I know that in the eyes of many we city dwellers have lost our minds but come on down and see us. Our little corner of metro Atlanta may not be the biggest, newest and shiniest but you might be surprised how well we're doing with quality of life.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:09 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,143,692 times
1. they dont want to live in the hood
2. they dont want their kids to go to crappy schools, with seedy kids
3. they dont want to get robbed

Old 10-27-2011, 08:37 PM

455 posts, read 1,007,264 times
Honestly, I think it is all just personal preference.

I loathe having to find a parking space on the street to dine at a restaurant or pay to park at a meter because I want to shop in a store. Others love the walkable neighborhoods and want to live right in it.

I like getting into my car and driving to a shopping center, parking in the big lot and walking directly into the store. I love living in subdivision with nice curb appeal with large lawns, sidewalks and a HOA to keep everyone's home looking nice and organizing some parties for the residents. Some people hate having a HOA in their business.

I have friends that loved living in the city of Buffalo and were a more artsy crew. I also had friends who loved living in the burbs. One is not better than the other. They are different. What's the big deal???

Old 10-27-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
Honestly, I think it is all just personal preference.

I loathe having to find a parking space on the street to dine at a restaurant or pay to park at a meter because I want to shop in a store. Others love the walkable neighborhoods and want to live right in it.

I like getting into my car and driving to a shopping center, parking in the big lot and walking directly into the store. I love living in subdivision with nice curb appeal with large lawns, sidewalks and a HOA to keep everyone's home looking nice and organizing some parties for the residents. Some people hate having a HOA in their business.

I have friends that loved living in the city of Buffalo and were a more artsy crew. I also had friends who loved living in the burbs. One is not better than the other. They are different. What's the big deal???
Great post, LIB.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:10 PM

743 posts, read 679,639 times
  • Some people enjoy fighting traffic and 1 hour+ commutes. Plenty of time to listen to your favorite radio station!
  • What could be a better night out on the town than sitting at your local Chilis? Better yet you get the chance to gather at "insert name here" 's new finished basement "bar". Now you don't even have to leave your cul de sac!
  • Subways and loud noises are scary.
  • Who needs to be able to walk to places?
To each their own, however, I for one could never move back to the burbs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or