Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,331 times

Advertisements

I used to live in DC, and while it was fun, I'm never going back. Here's why:
-Skyhigh home prices
-Cost of living
-Insane Traffic
-Weather
-Overly populated. Not quite Tokyo, but as bad in many ways.

So I got lucky and ended up in Omaha a few years ago. Having been raised in the Northeast, I used to think of this part of the midwest as fly-over country boondocks. But:
-No traffic jams - at least nothing like a major coastal city
-Very very friendly people
-Can still buy a great house in a great neighborhood with one of the best schools in the US for under $250K.
-Very low cost living and high standard of living. Getting ahead very fast here on standard corporate dole is within reach.

So with that background, opportunity knocks in Atlanta. I would like to live in a good suburban, quiet, peacefull area with the best schools (I'm thinking north metro?). Oh, and the job is in downtown Atlanta. I suspect that my current lifestyle is going to take a major hit.

And by no means do I have anything bad to say about Atlanta, as its gots stuff and oppty that Omaha never will. But I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that based on what I like about Omaha, and dislike about DC, odds are I will not enjoy living in Atlanta?

Best Regards
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 01:40 PM

65 posts, read 214,975 times
North Alanta is a great place to live. It is very competative here. When you get ready to move try to fiqure out basically you want to locate and I can help to choose an area that might be more suited for your needs. Atlanta is a very large area with the sprawl. each area is a little different. Each area has it's own traffic and problems and different school systems. Let me know wht you are looking at and I can answer any questions about any perticular area and maybe help you make an intellegent choice. I see a lot of people in this forum just move and realize they moved to an area they do not want or need to be living.

Last edited by jxu66; 08-29-2007 at 11:16 AM..

Old 08-28-2007, 09:26 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,765,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clwtramsfer View Post
So I got lucky and ended up in Omaha a few years ago. Having been raised in the Northeast, I used to think of this part of the midwest as fly-over country boondocks. But:
-No traffic jams - at least nothing like a major coastal city
-Very very friendly people
-Can still buy a great house in a great neighborhood with one of the best schools in the US for under $250K.
-Very low cost living and high standard of living. Getting ahead very fast here on standard corporate dole is within reach.
I'm one of those "reality slapping ya in the face" kind of people, so, I have to ask WHY you would leave the life you're describing in Omaha ... is it just for money/career?

Atlanta is far more like DC (only with grits and no large bodies of water) than it is Omaha. As a matter of fact, you'll find probably no comparisons here to where you currently live. I could be accused of bashing the city and I'm not, as Atlanta does have good points for SOME people, but COMPARED to where you are now and how you describe liking where you are now, no, I can't imagine that this is the place for you.

Atlanta has traffic that is similar to DC. Not quite as bad in some areas, and worse in a few others. Crime is similar to DC (high). Poverty is similar to DC. Public transit (MARTA) is not as extensive as DC's Metro Rail. Sprawl is probably closer to L.A. or Houston than any other city.

The only advantage here over Omaha, is that we do not get those mega F5 tornadoes and super storms they sometimes get in the midwest.

Now, Atlanta DOES have tons of job opportunities. Lots of jobs compared to many cities. Lower home prices compared to many cities. A relatively decent location, not too far from the ocean (4.5 hours) and the low mountains (1-1.5 hours). Some of the suburban "satellite cities" (Alpharetta, John's Creek, Peachtree City) have nice homey feels to them, and so long as you don't have to commute from them to the city everyday, you can avoid SOME of the issues.

Still - we're all different. For me, quality of life is more important than stepping up a corporate ladder or money. For others, it's not. Omaha sounds very nice the way you describe it. I'd make sure your priorities are where you want them before making a life changing decision like relocation. If this is what you want - go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta