Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 05:44 PM

4 posts, read 25,592 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving from Northern NJ to GA preferably Grayson or Woodstock.
I have visited both areas last November and fell in love with the type of residential architecture there as well as the climate. I will probably return in the summer of 07. I am a family man with 3 kids (12,8,3). I am a professional currently in the IT field and my wife is in Education. Can anyone tell me what areas are best known for IT jobs. I also would like some info. concerning the school district for my kids in both areas. I would really appreciate it.

friendzy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 06:16 PM

351 posts, read 881,578 times
Welcome to Georgia and yes the climate is nice.Georgia was the best kept secret but the secret is out.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:20 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,304,989 times
If you're considering Woodstock, you might consider heading a few miles further North to Canton/Holly Springs. We're heading down from NJ ourselves, and just bought a home at Harmony on the Lakes in Canton. The area is incredible, the schools are great, and compared to NJ, house prices are dirt cheap.

Bob

Old 04-08-2007, 05:53 AM

Thanks Bob,
I also remember I visited Holy Springs and it was nice as well. Off course not only the houses are much cheaper than NJ, but the property Tax is great too. Here in NJ our property tax is $7600.00 and I am tired of it.

friendzy

Old 04-08-2007, 05:55 AM

Thank you GeorgiaDog

Friendzy

Old 04-08-2007, 06:04 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,621,646 times
Hi-- I really recommend you get a job first -- because you don't want to end up with a 2 hour a way commute... I am not sure there is a real IT corridore but I do know that many of the large IT related companies are actually in Alpharetta, but they are really spread out all over.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:48 AM

985 posts, read 5,746,465 times
Personally, I won't live either location. Those locations are just too far away for commuting.

Atlanta IT is not very strong (unlike NJ or Dallas, for example)and it is very spreadout. You need to apply all jobs instead of picking one location (Marietta for example). Most IT jobs are banked and insurance related. Most IT jobs are located Marietta, Norcross, Dunwoody, Alpharatta, midtown/buckhead and downtown.

Like Lastminutemom said, try to locate a job first. If you do want to relocate without a job, pick Dunwoody. It is central point of all job centers. Rent in Dunwoody is reasonable but house price is not.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:12 PM

59 posts, read 347,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendzy39 View Post
I am a professional currently in the IT field and my wife is in Education. Can anyone tell me what areas are best known for IT jobs.
I'll echo what Lastminutemom said. YOU MUST FIND A JOB FIRST! Then decide where you want to relocate to. Traffic in the Atlanta is horrible - if you pick your location unwisely, you could be doomed to 2 hour commutes (each way!)

Alpharetta has a bunch of high-tech companies - You'll see signs for ADP, Verizon, MSN, IBM, Lucent, MSN if you take a quick drive up Windward and Northpoint parkways. I'm relocated to GA from NJ next month, and my company is on Windward parkway. Like you my family and I considered Woodstock and Holly Springs/Canton. However, during a training I was taking in the Alpharetta I drove to and from these areas during rush hour. From Woodstock you'll be on GA-92, and Holly Springs/Canton GA-140. Needless to say these drives really opened the eyes. Mapquest will tell you it's only 20 miles that'll take 30 minutes, but during rush it'll take you easily 2-3 times that. And there's not many alternative 'back roads' to take to get from these areas to Alpharetta. We finally decided on south Forsyth county, not too far from Alpharetta.

I'm giving you one example, but it's typical of the Atlanta area. Find a job, then find a home - you'll be much better off. And you'll find plenty of areas near your job location that will have reasonable house prices and property taxes 1/4-1/2 of what you'll pay in NJ. It's one of the reasons why my family and I are leaving - after the last 20% hike we said 'enough'.

PM if you want more info on the NJ to GA trek! I have three kids myself (8, 4, 1).

Old 04-09-2007, 04:53 PM

Kelley,JXU,and LastMinuteMOM.
Thank you soooooo much for the advice. I will definitely look for jobs first then will probably get an appartment before I buy a home. However, the only problem that I have is that, I am still in NJ and sending my resume to several companies, will they even consider looking at my resume with NJ address and phone number?

friendzy

Old 04-09-2007, 05:42 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,304,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendzy39 View Post
will they even consider looking at my resume with NJ address and phone number?
Typically not- unless either:

- You have some incredible trait/skill/talent/whatever that they can't find locally.
- You're only a week or two from moving, have a place lined up, and don't need to sell your house/divorce your wife/buy a car/get rid of the dog/whatever before moving.

There's plenty of jobs down there, but there's also plenty of people- especially in the IT field in both cases- so they aren't going to spend a lot of time waiting for you to arrange a flight down for an interview, wait for you to move, etc. In most cases, the position needs to be filled quickly, and that's tough to do when you're 900 miles away.

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta