U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 07:46 PM

19 posts, read 14,486 times
Question Lawerenceville vs Norcross??

opinions on both appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 08:38 PM

468 posts, read 729,505 times
Parts of both are very nice - other parts, not so much...

What would you like opinions on? Schools, home prices, commute times to somewhere?

Old 10-29-2011, 11:27 PM

4,217 posts, read 3,573,240 times
Ten years ago, I would have said the answer is quite clear: Lawrenceville.

That's because 10 years ago, Norcross was still mostly dingey and Lawrenceville was exploding with affordable McMansions and everything was new and pretty.

Now, I'm not so sure. Lawrenceville I'm sure still has some nice areas, but it seems to have not managed its growth very well and I understand a lot of it has gotten quite nasty.

Norcross, on the other hand, has started to turn itself around a bit. They fixed up the historic downtown area and it's a lot of fun down there now. Peachtree Corners wants to incorporate and that area is starting to get considerable buzz.

Norcross still has a lot of demons to slay, but those are most notably areas of unincorporated Gwinnett county that simply go under the Norcross moniker for mail delivery purposes. I would only feel comfortable in the areas within the actual city limits of Norcross, or the area that will become Peachtree Corners if the vote goes through, which right now all signs point to yes. The Forum shops in Norcross are also very cool.

I think Norcross has great proximity to places like Duluth, Johns Creek, and Dunwoody. Lawrenceville is closer to what? I'm not sure, I guess Snellville? I'm sure that may be a decent place to raise a family, I just never hear any buzz around it. I've never heard anybody say I'm going over to Snellville for this really great new store or restaurant. Same thing with Lawrenceville, I don't really hear too terribly much about it these days. Doesn't mean it doesn't have great areas, it just sort of fell off the radar. At least, for me it did. Maybe people who live there could explain the draw it has.

Most of the action that I see in Gwinnett has to do with improving the Gwinnett Place area and taking care of getting Buford Highway taken care of. In other words, the place to be seems to be west of I-85. Most people I know who purchased in Lawrenceville have either left or are looking to leave...but I tend to run with a younger crowd, so maybe the plop down and raise a family crowd are still just fine there.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:32 AM

876 posts, read 1,112,221 times
That is spot on ATLTJL. It really depends on what you are looking for and your lifestyle. There are pros and cons to both areas. I would live in either one if there was a reason for me to. They are both somewhat even right now, just there are other factors to consider.

If you are younger (no kids to raise) or even an older person, I would probably select some areas of Norcross area for being closer in town. For me, Peachtree Corners is the nicest of the areas in the Norcross area, but it largely depends on what you are seeking out in a place to live (condo, apartment, or house). There are plenty of decent areas to seek out. You should consider some areas surrounding Norcross if this fits your needs more.

For raising kids and convenient shopping, some areas of Lawrenceville are still desirable going towards the Mall of Georgia and Buford near I-985 at I-85 split. Even so with changes, Gwinnett overall is hit or miss, but yes, I would avoid areas there near Buford Highway and Jimmy Carter Blvd.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:39 AM

Thanks for comments. No kids, 40yrs old, married, commuting to Sandy Springs and Atlanta areas, looking for convenient shopping close to home such as Walmart, Sams Club, etc. I do not want to have Hoa's either..

Old 10-30-2011, 02:32 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,491,368 times
For commuting purposes, I would probably go with Norcross. The downtown has been completely renovated and is thriving with shops and restaurants. If you choose Norcross, just stay north of Buford Hwy.

Downtown Lawrenceville has been renovated as well and has quite a few options for dining and shopping. There are some great areas, and not so great areas. It really goes by school zoning.

Both have a similar vibe and are close to great amenities.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:33 PM

What zip code is North of Buford highway?

Old 10-30-2011, 10:26 PM

4,217 posts, read 3,573,240 times
There's no such thing as north of Buford Hwy, it runs North/South, you can only be East or West of it.

The trouble with Buford Highway is it is heavily commercial/industrial. It's pretty much that way all the way from Buford into Buckhead. The thing is, though, you can't take Buford Highway too seriously. Even though the road itself is kind of scuzzy, it's really not indicative of the areas near it. Some of the very best parts of Buckhead and Brookhaven can be found within a half mile of Buford Highway. Historic Norcross, Duluth, and Suwanee are located directly off Buford Highway. People see it and think they want to stay away from it, but it really kind of is a little self contained road of filth that cuts through some very prominent areas.

Think of it like Manhattan. You wouldn't say I don't want to live within a few miles of Harlem, because then you're cutting out the upper West and East sides. Think of Buford Highway the same way, as long as your address isn't Buford Highway, you're probably fine.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:47 PM

3,226 posts, read 3,377,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
There's no such thing as north of Buford Hwy, it runs North/South, you can only be East or West of it.

The trouble with Buford Highway is it is heavily commercial/industrial. It's pretty much that way all the way from Buford into Buckhead. The thing is, though, you can't take Buford Highway too seriously. Even though the road itself is kind of scuzzy, it's really not indicative of the areas near it. Some of the very best parts of Buckhead and Brookhaven can be found within a half mile of Buford Highway. Historic Norcross, Duluth, and Suwanee are located directly off Buford Highway. People see it and think they want to stay away from it, but it really kind of is a little self contained road of filth that cuts through some very prominent areas.

Think of it like Manhattan. You wouldn't say I don't want to live within a few miles of Harlem, because then you're cutting out the upper West and East sides. Think of Buford Highway the same way, as long as your address isn't Buford Highway, you're probably fine.
Finally, somebody gets it!

Old 10-31-2011, 06:38 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,491,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

Buford Highway runs in a NE direction. While it may be a north/south route, you can definitely live north of it. Also, in Norcross, there is a definite difference in the areas 'above' Buford Highway, and those 'below.' The 'above' area is definitely more desirable. Once Buford Highway crosses Pleasant Hill in Duluth, the distinction changes significantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta