U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2012, 05:28 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,846 posts, read 14,850,258 times
Reputation: 3502

Advertisements

Just thought I'd update this thread as i just read the news that Chevy has stopped production of the Volt and laid off employees on that line. Not surprising at all to me.

Bottom Line - Volt production halted; 1,300 workers out of work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2012, 06:59 AM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 15,022,713 times
Reputation: 7906
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Just thought I'd update this thread as i just read the news that Chevy has stopped production of the Volt and laid off employees on that line. Not surprising at all to me.

Bottom Line - Volt production halted; 1,300 workers out of work
Are you gloating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 AM
 
Location: 30080
2,194 posts, read 3,515,186 times
Reputation: 1625
Too small for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 22,432,532 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Just thought I'd update this thread as i just read the news that Chevy has stopped production of the Volt and laid off employees on that line. Not surprising at all to me.

Bottom Line - Volt production halted; 1,300 workers out of work
They are just shutting down for five weeks. Sounds like poor planning on their part, at least a little. Not good for the little guys, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,846 posts, read 14,850,258 times
Reputation: 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Are you gloating?
Just noting that in a growing auto market, the Volt has underperformed, and that a glut of inventory exists. I guess you could call it gloating that my opinion that this kind of vehicle, especially from GM, will not sell to the mainstream of auto consumer was correct. The Nissan Leaf is doing better, but it's numbers are still piddly in the overall auto market.

I also sense from your comment an undertone that you see me as driving some gas guzzling SUV or other wasteful vehicle. You might be surprised that my car gets more than 30 mph. I don't advocate gas guzzling for a couple of reasons....it's more expensive for no benefit, and I see the negative that high oil prices are for the macro economy. In fact, I laugh when I see these people on the news driving huge monster pickup trucks and complaining that gas is expensive. Unless you need a pickup truck to make a living, why on earth would anyone drive one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 12:09 PM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 15,022,713 times
Reputation: 7906
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Just noting that in a growing auto market, the Volt has underperformed, and that a glut of inventory exists. I guess you could call it gloating that my opinion that this kind of vehicle, especially from GM, will not sell to the mainstream of auto consumer was correct. The Nissan Leaf is doing better, but it's numbers are still piddly in the overall auto market.

I also sense from your comment an undertone that you see me as driving some gas guzzling SUV or other wasteful vehicle. You might be surprised that my car gets more than 30 mph. I don't advocate gas guzzling for a couple of reasons....it's more expensive for no benefit, and I see the negative that high oil prices are for the macro economy. In fact, I laugh when I see these people on the news driving huge monster pickup trucks and complaining that gas is expensive. Unless you need a pickup truck to make a living, why on earth would anyone drive one?
Actually, I commented because there's an obvious tone of "I told you so" in your post, which I find distasteful since people will be put out of work over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,846 posts, read 14,850,258 times
Reputation: 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Actually, I commented because there's an obvious tone of "I told you so" in your post, which I find distasteful since people will be put out of work over this.
Being correct is fun, so maybe. Perhaps your ire is also misdirected. Perhaps you should be blaming GM for assigning its workforce to manufacture products no one wants to buy and having to lay them off as a result.

Of course, given the typical UAW model, those workers are probably sitting around at a "jobs bank" collecting full pay for a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 06:17 PM
 
966 posts, read 1,229,756 times
Reputation: 194
You really think GM is the one "pushing" the Volt? It goes MUCH higher than that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2012, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,846 posts, read 14,850,258 times
Reputation: 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
You really think GM is the one "pushing" the Volt? It goes MUCH higher than that...
The board of GM, which is or was controlled by the US Gov't Executive Branch is responsible. I fully understand where the onus is coming from to push these kinds of projects.

My point was that blaming the messenger isn't productive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2012, 01:25 PM
 
5,102 posts, read 5,963,378 times
Reputation: 3116
Quote:
Of course, given the typical UAW model, those workers are probably sitting around at a "jobs bank" collecting full pay for a year.
...and there you have it.

Must be that typical UAW model that Bear Stearns, Enron, BofA, Wachovia, and so many others had, right? Oh wait...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:04 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top