Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2011, 11:37 AM

6 posts, read 8,807 times

Advertisements

I am 22, male college grad from the Philadelphia area who will be taking a job at a workplace about 10-15 miles north of downtown Atlanta, I know virtually nothing about the area, and am looking where the best places for a young guy to move to? I want to find more of an urban area where I can meet other people my age and that has a good nightlife. I have heard alot on here about midtown, but I don't know about anywhere else.

1. Budget - Salary will be between 55k and 65k
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - Some sort of apartment
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - Commute
4. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not necessary but would be nice, also should be a decent distance from the airport as I will be traveling alot.
5. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - Again, looking for a young 20's crowd.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 11:44 AM

969 posts, read 1,959,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk25 View Post
I am 22, male college grad from the Philadelphia area who will be taking a job at a workplace about 10-15 miles north of downtown Atlanta, I know virtually nothing about the area, and am looking where the best places for a young guy to move to? I want to find more of an urban area where I can meet other people my age and that has a good nightlife. I have heard alot on here about midtown, but I don't know about anywhere else.

1. Budget - Salary will be between 55k and 65k
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - Some sort of apartment
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - Commute
4. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not necessary but would be nice, also should be a decent distance from the airport as I will be traveling alot.
5. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - Again, looking for a young 20's crowd.

Thanks!
Midtown, Buckhead, Virginia-Highlands, Inman Park are popular neighborhoods in the city. Do you know where exactly you will be working?

Sandy Springs/Dunwoody has access to MARTA rail if that's where you will be working. If so, Midtown or Buckhead might be a good option... if you can't take the train to work at least you can take it to the airport.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:50 AM

6 posts, read 8,807 times
Yeah, its a bit south of sandy springs, right off of i75

Old 10-30-2011, 11:59 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,114 times
Quote:
I-75 is about 8 mile southwest of Sandy Springs so that does not make sense.

I-75 crosses I-285 on the Northwest corner - that is typically referred to as Cumberland (Smyrna/Vinings)

GA-400 crosses I-285 just North of the city - that is typically referred to as Perimeter (Sandy Springs/Dunwoody)

I-85 crosses I-285 on the Northeast corner - that is often referred to as Spaghetti Junction (Chamblee/Doraville)

You can live in any of the intown neighborhoods like Midtown and VaHi and easiy commute to these areas since you will be going against most traffic.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:15 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,032 times
Quote:
That's the Cumberland area... unfortunately it doesn't have rail access, but the good news is if you live in the city, you will be going against traffic for the most part. Midtown, Virginia-Highland, Buckhead and Inman Park would be good choices. Midtown, Buckhead and Inman Park have rail stations so you can take the train to the airport. Virginia-Highland doesn't have a station, but if you don't want to drive to the airport you can take a taxi or bus to the Midtown station. I'm 25 and live in Midtown (can walk to the station) and always take MARTA to the airport - it's pretty convenient and cheaper than parking at the airport. Piedmont Park is great - lots of leagues to join to meet people (kickball, bocce ball, baseball/softball, etc).

Apparently Vinings is a suburb right outside the city that is suppose to have a lot of young people and it's right next to the Cumberland area. You could look into Vinings but I'm not too familiar with the "scene" there for people in their 20's.

I would check out these areas and see which one might be the best fit for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta