Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,820 times

Advertisements

I looked through previous forums, and don't feel that I obtained enough info.

We are moving to Atlanta in June. My husband will be working at the airport, and we'd love nothing more than a 30-40 minute commute. We are looking to rent for probably the next 1-2 years before buying. We have two daughters aged 2 and 1.

From what I've gathered so far, it is best for us to plan on living in a southern suburb... but there are so many, and I am feeling totally overwhelmed with the prospect of moving to a new (huge) city that I've never been to, nor do I know anyone who is familiar with southern Atlanta (everyone I know who has lived there lived on the north side).

Low crime rates are super important to us, family friendly community and a decent commute. I've looked at Peachtree City, and it sounds lovely, but I wonder if the commute to the airport would be terrible?

What about Jonesboro? Riverdale? McDonough? Fayetteville? What kind of commutes could we expect? What areas are safest?

Any help would be appreciated! We are going on a house-hunt trip in 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 12:48 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,032 times
Traffic between the airport and Peachtree City is not that bad... 30-40 minutes is doable. Traffic is worse on I-75 in Henry County. Peachtree City is probably the nicest town on the southside.

If your husband is not opposed to mass transit, Sandy Springs and Dunwoody could be options depending on your budget... he can take MARTA to the airport. Both towns have a train station.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:09 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
What about Jonesboro? Terrible

Riverdale? Awful, maybe even worse

McDonough? Ok

Fayetteville? Fine

Old 02-13-2012, 03:19 PM

192 posts, read 385,294 times
Of all your choices, Peachtree City would probably fit your family the best.

But you might want to look at the Dunwoody option (that's north of Atlanta) that another poster suggested since Marta goes straight to the airport and then he doesn't have to worry about any traffic tie ups.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:45 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Peachtree City is where the majority of airline personnel live (or should I say the majority of Peachtree City residents are airline personnel?) All of Delta's top executives live there, and World Airlines is actually headquartered there. As much as your husband would be in his element in PTC however, from your post I get the odd feeling that PTC might be a bit up-market for you. It's not Southern at all -- lots of Yankees and tons of Californians and a growing international community. But the schools are incredible, shopping plentiful and recreation amenities over the top. If you're more inclined to a country / acreage lifestyle then Fayetteville or Tyrone might be more to your liking -- particularly the Southside -- and the commute is still no problem to the airport. Either way, set your sights on Fayette County and you can't go wrong. They have an EXCELLENT hospital and booming medical community there now as well.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:15 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
I'd go with Newnan, Peachtree City, or Sharpsburg.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:20 PM

441 posts, read 886,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Traffic between the airport and Peachtree City is not that bad... 30-40 minutes is doable. Traffic is worse on I-75 in Henry County. Peachtree City is probably the nicest town on the southside.

If your husband is not opposed to mass transit, Sandy Springs and Dunwoody could be options depending on your budget... he can take MARTA to the airport. Both towns have a train station.
I second the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody suggestions. Using MARTA could save on needing a second car (insurance, maintenance etc) and as others have mentioned it drops you off right at the airport...

Old 02-13-2012, 06:08 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
What about Jonesboro? Terrible

Riverdale? Awful, maybe even worse

McDonough? Ok

Fayetteville? Fine
What makes those places awful & terrible?

Old 02-13-2012, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,820 times
This is very helpful... as I was looking at a map of these locations, I noticed Palmetto has a few more rental options. Is Palmetto a decent area?

Old 02-13-2012, 06:44 PM

167 posts, read 477,062 times
Since you have little ones I'd go off of school reviews. Peachtree City has the best when it comes to southern suburbs. I'd highly recommend it, it's a beautiful city as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta