U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 01:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,849 times

Advertisements

My Husband and I have the opportunity to move to Atlanta from San Diego next year and are looking for advice on areas to move to. We are fed up with the cost of living here in So Cal where you pretty much have spend upwards of half a million to get something completely average.

Thing that are important to us...
-We both will work at the airport and are hoping to have a commute time of 30 min or less. We would work shifts like 5am-1pm or 1pm-9pm.
-Have two children, 2 and 4, so of course good schools are important.
-Looking for a newer or an older remodeled 3-4 bdr house with large yard, preferably with a pool or community pool, $250,000 max. Not really big on HOA's, out in here in San Diego the average is around $200 an month.
-We are both white, in our 30's and liberal. As much as we love living in our culturally diverse/artsy/gay friendly neighborhood, we are willing to sacrifice it to be in a more family oriented and safe community.

I would appreciate any suggestions on what areas that you think would be a good fit. We both love historic/craftsman type homes that are in the city but are also considering newer homes in the suburbs as well.

Thanks for any feedback, if you need any more info let me know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 05:57 AM

969 posts, read 1,661,531 times
If you are working at the airport, I would recommend the south side, except it tends to be more conservative. Peachtree City is nice (newer homes) with good schools, but it's not very "liberal", especially Fayette County. You could look into Virginia-Highland/Inman Park areas of Atlanta as well as parts of Decatur which have been popular with families and have the types of homes you are looking for (historic craftsman style, etc). These areas also have rail stations and our train goes straight to the airport if you don't want to drive to work. Traffic shouldn't be too much of a hassle from those areas, but at least you have the option of not having to drive if you don't want to.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:06 AM

461 posts, read 923,390 times
250k is not going to get you much in VAHI, Inman Park or Decatur proper. Possibly an outdated 3 br bungalow, not a 4 br craftsman. Peachtree city would be good for commute, but is cookie cutter suburban. So with these, your choice is going to be PC with less of the atmosphere you are looking for, or one of the neighborhoods mentioned above with less house than you ideally want but the lifestyle intact.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:45 AM

8,284 posts, read 10,220,858 times
I think you should definitely visit Atlanta for a few days.

I work with people from all over the country and world. In over 15 years, never, not once, have I heard anybody say Atlanta is a better place to live than San Diego. I wouldn't say that about a lot of cities, many people are very happy here....but I was under the impression that San Diego is a great place to live, and nobody I know from there has ever said they like it here more.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:12 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,745,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

I work with people from all over the country and world. In over 15 years, never, not once, have I heard anybody say Atlanta is a better place to live than San Diego. I wouldn't say that about a lot of cities, many people are very happy here....but I was under the impression that San Diego is a great place to live, and nobody I know from there has ever said they like it here more.
I agree. Having moved from NJ, where housing prices are similar to San Diego, I can definitely say that Atlanta was an improvement for us. However, I've spent enough time in San Diego (I've got a number of relatives there) to know that even with the difference in housing costs, San Diego is still the better place to be- assuming, of course, that you can afford the housing.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:55 AM

1,459 posts, read 2,610,466 times
You must live near Balboa Park.

I was born in SD. My parents just moved back there a couple yrs ago from Atlanta. I can safely say, you're doing it wrong. Why not move inland a little bit to escape the prices (too far from airport?).

In Atlanta, you're not going to find good 3 or 4 bdrm houses in a decent school district that won't be outside of town ...very 'un'-liberal country.

Not sure about the schools, but you should definitely check out Smyrna as well. You may be able to find something in Dunwoody. You can catch MARTA down to the airport too. You'll be maxing out your commute there.

Both of these areas are pretty close in for being a suburb, but definitely don't have any eclectic vibe going on.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:39 AM

3,650 posts, read 8,817,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

I grew up in Atlanta and lived in San Diego for 10 years. Overall, I prefer to live in Atlanta but lately its been having so many problems, and if it continues, San Diego might easily become a better place to live. San Diego is a nice city, but it just never felt like home to me. I also prefer a climate with four seasons but with mild winters. I still like to tell myself that Atlanta is the second greatest city in the world after Tokyo, but some people might think I'm delusional. I'm also a little biased with my opinion about Atlanta.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:50 PM

969 posts, read 1,661,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
You must live near Balboa Park.

I was born in SD. My parents just moved back there a couple yrs ago from Atlanta. I can safely say, you're doing it wrong. Why not move inland a little bit to escape the prices (too far from airport?).

In Atlanta, you're not going to find good 3 or 4 bdrm houses in a decent school district that won't be outside of town ...very 'un'-liberal country.

Not sure about the schools, but you should definitely check out Smyrna as well. You may be able to find something in Dunwoody. You can catch MARTA down to the airport too. You'll be maxing out your commute there.

Both of these areas are pretty close in for being a suburb, but definitely don't have any eclectic vibe going on.
I have family in San Diego and it's not all perfect there. I'm pretty sure the more inland you go, the more conservative it gets (Inland Empire of LA comes to mind) and the San Diego metro isn't much more liberal than Atlanta... North County borders the infamously Republican/conservative Orange County and I saw a giant anti-Obama sign along I-5 last year. Plus, they have their own issues being so close to the border with Mexico/Tijuana. The "city center" of San Diego is much nicer overall than Downtown Atlanta though and I love me a "California burrito". Our downtown has a lot of potential and I'm hoping one day it will get to where it needs to be.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:36 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,605,437 times
Atlanta is better than SD. We have more universities, better entertainment, more pro sports teams, our last call is later (SD shuts down at 130) more shopping, we are closer.to more major cities via airport,better public transportation, etc

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 10-31-2011 at 02:23 PM..

Old 10-31-2011, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,849 times
I struggle with leaving all the good things about San Diego like the weather, the beach, all of my family and friends, but the cost of living really is so ridiculous that I am seriously considering moving. I do live by Balboa Park, which is absolutely lovely, but is far to expensive to consider buying a home near. To go east is to move to areas like El Cajon, Lakeside and Santee (Klantee we like to call it) where it is hot and home to most the people featured in People of Walmart ( well maybe just a few)...I really need to take your advice and visit Atlanta to see for myself, I will def check out Symrna, Peachtree City, Decatur and Dunwoody.

Any thoughts or suggestions on some of the more inexpensive, up and coming areas of Atlanta? Saw some nice places in East Atlanta, Kirkwood and Oakhurst online but not too sure what it is really like to live there...

And yes, I am willing to give up my California Burritos...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta