Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 02:17 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
This is nowhere near a MARTA stop.
The buffer zone for a subway station is 400m. Anything in a 400m ratius is considered walk able to a metro station. The area outside that in an 800m buffer zone should be urban design but have a step down in intensity.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I haven't seen the designs for the building yet, but CAP has design rules for new buildings Downtown and I'm sure Waffle House will work with them to build something that is not out of place. Also, a freestanding building is far better than what is there right now (an open air parking lot), but your mentioning of a MARTA stations is odd given that the three closest stations are 3, 4, and 7 blocks away. It's not exactly right next door or on top of a MARTA station in a way that would get in the way of future development. Not that any of the Downtown MARTA stations don't already have gobs of development on top of them...
The buffer zone for a subway is 400m from a stop in every direction. The next buffer zone is 800m which should be a gradual step down in intensity.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:33 PM

112 posts, read 171,473 times
The Waffle House at Centennial and International is going into an existing building that was Franklin Copy Service then a tourist souvenir shop and is currently empty. I think it is a win-win for everyone - conversion of an existing building, 24 hour dining next to park to help the perception of nothing open after 6 pm, and showcasing another homegrown company.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Or the other Waffle House that is already in Downtown on the GSU campus:

Oh hai, look at that. It's on the first floor of a highrise. Guess it's time for someone to stop lecturing.
Lollllll.....you just proved my point. That is exactly the development that should go in the parking lot in question. A high rise with a waffle house on the first floor. I think it's sad when an urban planning professional attempts to provide advise for how to build transit focused urban development and people in cities that don't embrace this type of development fight the advise. Everything I have said would be echoed by every urban planner and smart growth advocate in the nation included those in Atlanta. Sad.....

Old 11-14-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadStJudge View Post
The Waffle House at Centennial and International is going into an existing building that was Franklin Copy Service then a tourist souvenir shop and is currently empty. I think it is a win-win for everyone - conversion of an existing building, 24 hour dining next to park to help the perception of nothing open after 6 pm, and showcasing another homegrown company.
Now that changes everything. A conversion is fine. The razing of the building will not be such a waste of money in the future. Thank you for clearing that up.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:45 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Lollllll.....you just proved my point. That is exactly the development that should go in the parking lot in question. A high rise with a waffle house on the first floor. I think it's sad when an urban planning professional attempts to provide advise for how to build transit focused urban development and people in cities that don't embrace this type of development fight the advise. Everything I have said would be echoed by every urban planner and smart growth advocate in the nation included those in Atlanta. Sad.....
Nobody asked for your advice, and it has become beyond crytstal clear that you know nothing of Atlanta.

As far as not embracing this type of development, can you not clearly see the pics that Atlantans are posting? These pictures are to prove to you that we DO embrace this type of development. And I for one minute do not believe you are an urban planning professional. I believe you aspire to be one, but you come off as a know it all kid in your posts - certainly not a professional.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Yeah, this MDAllStar dude is just trolling. That's 3 urban waffle houses built under/in highrises up to the street with no parking lot and whatnot.
Trolling? I have done nothing but give professional advise on what should go into and urban area. This advise is no different than the same advise an Atlanta urban planner would give. The mere fact that people don't know the buffer zones for subway stations and their development should tell you something about this discussion.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Nobody asked for your advice, and it has become beyond crytstal clear that you know nothing of Atlanta.

As far as not embracing this type of development, can you not clearly see the pics that Atlantans are posting? These pictures are to prove to you that we DO embrace this type of development. And I for one minute do not believe you are an urban planning professional. I believe you aspire to be one, but you come off as a know it all kid in your posts - certainly not a professional.
And you come off as a negative, condescending, defensive person that can't take constructive critique on anything relating to Atlanta. Your goal should be to improve Atlanta. Improving any place involves pointing out the areas for improvement. The posting of pictures of what I said should go there from the beginning strengthens my point, not yours. Examples of what belongs there are staring you in the face. We havent even began to discuss mixed use which is a whole other conversation.

Have you ever posted something Atlanta could work on or improve in relation to their built environment? All I ever see you do is praise the blatant disregard for urban design failures.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:01 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Quote:
^What a great find! Thanks testa50, this is fantastic news.
Yeah, I was stressing over that building getting torn down (while it might be nothing dwarfed by bigger and older buildings up north, we have such a limited stock of historic buildings it's a shame to see them go), and I'll always welcome new highrises of any sort--kinda the definition of win-win.

Georgia Tech has become an enormous positive force in Atlanta.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:06 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
And you come off as a negative, condescending, defensive person that can't take constructive critique on anything relating to Atlanta. Your goal should be to improve Atlanta. Improving any place involves pointing out the areas for improvement. The posting of pictures of what I said should go there from the beginning strengthens my point, not yours. Examples of what belongs there are staring you in the face. We havent even began to discuss mixed use which is a whole other conversation.
Sorry, but you are the one coming across as condescending and worse throughout this entire thread. It is beyond obvious that you have never been here, yet you preach to us on how we should build the city like some sort of heavy-handed expert. You have repeatedly been told there is absolutely NO MARKET for a highrise on the lot Waffle House is going to, then lurch off on claiming we don't embrace TOD, and preach about what should be built where when it is obvious you HAVE NEVER BEEN HERE. Do yourself a favor and stick to what you know - the overhyped, overpriced and overcrowded DMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta