U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 04:06 PM

30,397 posts, read 28,568,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
In the 50s Atlanta annex Buckhead ) Then the city started to declined.
The city added a lot more than just Buckhead in the 1952 annexation. Buckhead was about 1/3 of the new territory -- much larger areas on the south and west sides also came into the city at that time.

Atlanta's population didn't really start to decline until the late 60s/early 70s.

Rate this post positively

Old 11-17-2011, 05:11 PM

10,369 posts, read 12,144,017 times
Quote:
This what happen

You kind of over did it. A city doesn't have to be like NY or Philly to be walkable, Most American cities in the midwest and northwest are consider urban and walkable. Atlanta historically was denser than Seattle, Miami, Oakland, and etc so the lay out of the city is not a problem. Atlanta most defiantly can make it up there level of density.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...0027/tab16.txt

http://www.census.gov/population/www...0027/tab18.txt

in fact

1930s
14 Washington city, DC...... 486,869 62.0 sq mi 7,853 density
32 Atlanta city, GA......... 270,366 34.8 sq mi 7,769
17 Cincinnati city, OH...... 451,160 71.4 sq mi 6,319
30 Oakland city, CA......... 284,063 53.2 sq mi 5,340
66 Kansas City city, KS..... 121,857 20.5 sq mi 5,944

16 Washington city, DC...... 331,069 60.0 5,518
31 Atlanta city, GA......... 154,839 25.7 6,025
13 Cincinnati city, OH...... 363,591 49.8 7,301
32 Oakland city, CA......... 150,174 45.7 3,286
20 Kansas City city, MO..... 248,381 58.5 4,246

Kansas City was never denser than Atlanta. ) I didn't know that! But anyways DC density didn't even break away from Atlanta until the 50s, Atlanta was one of the most dense cities in the country until the 60s. In the 50s Atlanta annex Buckhead ) Then the city started to declined. But the point is Atlanta core is pretty walkable by the historic lay out. So really I don't understand what your saying because Atlanta doesn't look like the northeast it's not walkable?

You just said above That the errors you state can't even be improved. ) what do we suppose to learn from your post? errors you feel that can't be fix. DO REALIZE your suggestion to improvement in Atlanta is....that Atlanta can't be improve THAT"S WHY posters are coming at you by the way.

No....actually I gave an example of a planned out development anchored by a stadium over industrial land. That is something Atlanta can accomplish if planned that way from the beginning. An area with nothing there full of industrial uses is the only way to build that environment because your starting from scratch with no barriers. You can raze the whole area and lay a street grid and everything to create the density. So my point is still valid that the currently built area will not be like DC or NYC but an area that has nothing on it definetly can be.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:29 PM

727 posts, read 1,110,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
No....actually I gave an example of a planned out development anchored by a stadium over industrial land. That is something Atlanta can accomplish if planned that way from the beginning. An area with nothing there full of industrial uses is the only way to build that environment because your starting from scratch with no barriers. You can raze the whole area and lay a street grid and everything to create the density. So my point is still valid that the currently built area will not be like DC or NYC but an area that has nothing on it definetly can be.
You could definitly do something around turner feild. Most of that is just surface parking, i would love to see them make that a park, call it "Hank Aaron Park" and put a ballfeild right where the old atlanta-fulton feild used to be. The praking could be relocated to well placed decks that have retail and pedestrian freindly facades.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:55 PM

4,469 posts, read 4,757,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
My point is if something you feel we can't fix, then we did not "miss out on valuable information" you did this several times, this is one of reason why posters were coming at you.

But anyways Atlanta is pretty good at redevelopments and the ARC is pro new urbanism. Atlantic Station, Glennwood park, Inman Park village and etc. Then The Atlanta beltline is the largest new urbanism projected in the country.

This would give a better understanding of the region in regards to New Urbanism and the attitude of the ARC.
10-Year Commemoration of the Developments of Excellence Program

West of the Georgia done is vine city a blighted area but a neighborhood that is layed out and set up in a way that if the area go though Gentrification, it would naturally create what you said without even doing all that urban renewal on a brownfield.

A few posters mention the Gulch redevelopment this seem to be exactly what your asking for head on. The Georgia Dome, The Philips arena, The CNN Center are literally right there.

The Gulch transit project attracted connected firms *| ajc.com
Quote:
Cousins Properties and a team of other well-connected firms were chosen to develop a transit hub and “mini-city” downtown on Monday. The project is slated for the "Gulch," the forlorn tangle of railroads tracks and parking lots, mostly used by Falcons tailgaters and people headed to nearby attractions like Philips Arena and CNN Center.
http://www.ajc.com/multimedia/dynamic/00739/gulch_1027_03_739291c.jpg (broken link)
http://www.ajc.com/multimedia/dynamic/00739/gulch_1027_03_739291c.jpg (broken link)

http://www.ajc.com/multimedia/dynamic/00739/gulch_1027_05_739268c.jpg (broken link)
Grand plans for ‘Gulch’ hub a transit gamble *| ajc.com

http://assets.bizjournals.com/atlant...tlanta.jpg?v=1

Old 11-18-2011, 12:02 AM

10,369 posts, read 12,144,017 times
Quote:
My point is if something you feel we can't fix, then we did not "miss out on valuable information" you did this several times, this is one of reason why posters were coming at you.

But anyways Atlanta is pretty good at redevelopments and the ARC is pro new urbanism. Atlantic Station, Glennwood park, Inman Park village and etc. Then The Atlanta beltline is the largest new urbanism projected in the country.

This would give a better understanding of the region in regards to New Urbanism and the attitude of the ARC.
10-Year Commemoration of the Developments of Excellence Program

West of the Georgia done is vine city a blighted area but a neighborhood that is layed out and set up in a way that if the area go though Gentrification, it would naturally create what you said without even doing all that urban renewal on a brownfield.

A few posters mention the Gulch redevelopment this seem to be exactly what your asking for head on. The Georgia Dome, The Philips arena, The CNN Center are literally right there.

The Gulch transit project attracted connected firms *| ajc.com

Grand plans for ‘Gulch’ hub a transit gamble *| ajc.com

http://assets.bizjournals.com/atlant...tlanta.jpg?v=1

Yeah, I already read about the train hub. It should do wonders for Atlanta. Good times ahead!

Old 11-18-2011, 10:24 AM

30,397 posts, read 28,568,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
You could definitly do something around turner feild. Most of that is just surface parking, i would love to see them make that a park, call it "Hank Aaron Park" and put a ballfeild right where the old atlanta-fulton feild used to be. The praking could be relocated to well placed decks that have retail and pedestrian freindly facades.
Note the Master Redevelopment Plan for the Stadium Area TAD I posted earlier. I know this has been under discussion for over half a century but it would be awesome if it ever got off the ground.

http://www.atlantada.com/buildDev/do...13.06final.pdf

Old 11-18-2011, 10:51 AM

369 posts, read 566,407 times
For those calling downtown D.C. vibrant I hope you're not including Gallery Place/ Chinatown with the Verizon center because that's not part of downtown D.C. It's considered the east end. I don't think the national mall counts either. Downtown D.C. includes parts of K street and M street. Nice parks but mostly office building full of attorneys.

Even in NY the downtown is considered the southern tip of Manhattan where the World Trade Center is and that area is just office buildings and wall street for the most part. It DOES NOT includes Times Square. That is in midtown Manhattan.

Every city's downtown is dominated commerce and office buildings.

You have to define exactly what "downtown" is.

Midtown Atlanta would be a better comparison to those aforementioned areas outside their respective downtowns.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:02 AM

369 posts, read 566,407 times
I would say start with the greening of the five points area. Turn it into a park WITH GRASS and trees at least in the short term until a developer is ready to break ground with plans. The top of the parking decks should be covered in grass too. Right now there's too much pavement and brick surfaces which gives a cold 1970s and 60s concrete brutalist design feeling.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:55 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,442,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
For those calling downtown D.C. vibrant I hope you're not including Gallery Place/ Chinatown with the Verizon center because that's not part of downtown D.C. It's considered the east end. I don't think the national mall counts either. Downtown D.C. includes parts of K street and M street. Nice parks but mostly office building full of attorneys.
"Downtown" DC isn't very clearly defined, but whatever precise boundaries you want to use, I assure you most of it is a lot more vibrant than most of downtown Atlanta. Yes, there are a lot of offfice buildings in downtown DC (as you correctly point out, this is the case for many downtowns), but in DC they are mostly smaller (10-15 stories max) and a whole lot of them offer significant interaction with the street. That means that all those attorneys and other professionals actually get out, walk around, eat, shop, drink, etc during the day. It slows down a bit at night, but you can still find lots of places to go.

I used to work on M street. My building had a steakhouse, a sandwich shop, a men's clothing shop and a seafood restaurant/bar. Within literally one block there were at least four other bars/restaurants, another steakhouse, a malaysian place, a Chipotle, and tons of other stuff. Any day there would be hundreds if not thousands of people on the street at one time nearby, and even at night there were usually a good many folks. This is the case for pretty much all of downtown DC.

Downtown Atlanta is just not at that stage. I have made the point in other threads (and earlier in this one, I think) that there is a lot going on in Atlanta. It is one of the top five cities/downtowns in the South. But the urban fabric and vibrancy of its downtown is just not favorably comparable to NY, Chicago, SF, DC, Philly, Boston, etc. People that have spent siginficant times can easily tell them apart. That doesn't mean anything is wrong with Atlanta, that just means on this particular factor (urbanity, vibrancy, whatever) it doesn't stack up well with those handful of cities. When people refuse to accept that and keep comparing Atlanta to those places it makes knowledgeable people discount your opinion b/c you are so far off.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:22 PM

2,599 posts, read 3,922,869 times
Things could be a better if there was more going on between Peachtree and Centennial Olympic Park from around Ivan Allen to Marietta street. It's pretty much baren except for a couple convenience stores and an Indian restuarant with the exception of a tiny amount of retail on Luckie Street and Broad Street. The AmericasMart is a huge concrete monstrosity with nothing on ground level. The library doesn't help and it's right next to a couple huge parking lots. Walton Street could be better. It could use a couple of decent retail stores. It's about the only street that has a reasonable amount of storefronts to make for a mini shopping district.

There's really not much more that can be done without demolishing or drastically remodeling most of the hotels and AmericasMart. It's be nice if someone would knock down some of those parking decks and put something with some decent ground level presence in their places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or