U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:12 PM

930 posts, read 1,664,646 times

Advertisements

I'm excited as I just booked a 5 day / 5 night family vacation to Jupiter, FL (north of Miami) in the first week of December. In December, Atlanta's weather may be in the 30s, but West Palm Beach's weather is percent in December and January averaging in the 60s or 70s. I love warm weather.

Have any of you Georgians vacationed there? I've heard that Jupiter and Juno Beach have some of the most beautiful beaches in SE Florida. I think Tiger Woods bought his $50 million mansion in Jupiter Island?

I'm definitely going to drive and park my car at Hartsfield Airport. What is the best rate i can get for long term economy parking?

thanks.

Also does Delta have a VISA or MC mileage credit card? I have the mileage plus visa card with United.... but as new Georiga resident, i don't think I will ever fly with United again as the tickets with Delta is so much cheaper. The plane ticket with Delta came out to $180 per person whereas United was some ridiculous price of $550.

I already have my AMEX card with Hilton Honors so i don't want to get another Delta AMEX card. Any thoughts? Kimbro? lol...

Last edited by mrpanda; 11-03-2011 at 10:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 10:07 AM

7,406 posts, read 4,148,646 times
I grew up in West palm beach. Still have family living in Jupiter. I would not say the most beautiful, as those go to The Keys or the Gulf Coast, but they are nice. Not much to do in Jupiter and Juno beach. Its the suburbs of WPB and looks like every other suburb. I would suggest going to DuBois Park in Jupiter. Its a great park with a beach, lighthouse, and shallow estuary for kids to play in. If visiting make a trip to CityPlace in downtown West Palm Beach.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:38 PM

Thanks Cqholt,

Definitely going to check out Dubois park in Jupiter. I hear lots of families with little ones go there because it's a protected area with less waves, etc.

Do you know much about the Loggerhead marine center where you can learn about turtles. What is the drive to Lion Country Safari like?

I hear Jupiter, FL is a hidden gem in the SE Florida. If i love it enough.. I might want buy a winter vacation condo/townhome, a nice get away place from Atlanta from Nov - Feb.

I think that SE Florida has the best weather in the country in Dec/Jan.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:08 PM

7,406 posts, read 4,148,646 times
I did forget about those areas because we always went there on school trips. The Loggerhead center is a great place to see sea turtles up close and learn about the rescue effort. Lion country safari is cool for kids. The animals will come up to the car, its like a drive thru zoo.
A hidden gem? I guess I'm put off by the stuffiness of the people there. I have always been an urban dweller and enjoy the grittiness of the city. Jupiter is too suburban for me, but it is nice.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:16 PM

cqholt, is the suburbs of Jupiter much like that Peachtree City and Johns Creek but a beach town. A very clean, safe, suburban master plan?

If it wasn't for the tornadoes and ungodly weather in the spring and summer time, I would love to raise my family in a place like Jupiter as homes are cheap as the homes in northern Atlanta. Overall I don't think the year round weather and schools are as good as North Fulton and S. Forsyth. I would probably also miss all the wonderful Asian restaurants, large groceries stores, and a large Asian community that northern Atlanta offers.

Living in Atlanta would be perfect if only we were a beach town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I did forget about those areas because we always went there on school trips. The Loggerhead center is a great place to see sea turtles up close and learn about the rescue effort. Lion country safari is cool for kids. The animals will come up to the car, its like a drive thru zoo.
A hidden gem? I guess I'm put off by the stuffiness of the people there. I have always been an urban dweller and enjoy the grittiness of the city. Jupiter is too suburban for me, but it is nice.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:46 PM

408 posts, read 539,773 times
Mr Panda, you will love Jupiter. My family vacationed there every year when I was growing up. We always stayed in the Jupiter Ocean Beach and Racquet Club which is probably quite old by now. There are many yummy seafood restaurants right by the water. I will get a list of places from my mom for you.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:26 PM

Buffalo, I really love the beach. I've heard that SE Florida beaches north of West Palm Beach are nicer and more beautiful than Southern California beaches and much less crowded. I've never been to Jupiter, but i hear it is peaceful, private, and very clean.

Let me ask you an honest question? If your hubby had a job relocation transfer (same income and position) in either Jupiter, FL or S. Forsyth, which would you choose and why? I've heard that the schools in Jupiter are also good. Probably not as good as S. Forsyth schools though When i retire, I definitely want to live near the ocean.

What is awesome is that back in 2006, home prices in Jupiter was 2X that of S. Forsyth. Today the median home price between Jupiter and S. Forsyth is the same.

Hey so how are you liking Atlanta so far? Do you like it better than Buffalo? I've read somewhere that you were having some problems with Comcast. I definitely recommend OOMA for LAN which is free and use Comcast just for internet. This is the setup I have in my house. I am so glad I dumped AT&T. Keep me posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
Mr Panda, you will love Jupiter. My family vacationed there every year when I was growing up. We always stayed in the Jupiter Ocean Beach and Racquet Club which is probably quite old by now. There are many yummy seafood restaurants right by the water. I will get a list of places from my mom for you.

Last edited by mrpanda; 11-04-2011 at 08:39 PM..

Old 11-05-2011, 12:41 AM

1,194 posts, read 2,476,449 times
I live on the water and if you want to live on the water as I do then bring lots and lots of money. It is expensive. Your electonics will go bad sooner than one would think, taxes are sky high and so is the insurance (if you can get insurance).

I pay more than $10,000/ year for homeowners. Taxes are $16,000/ yr but living on the water is just unreal. That's almost $2,200/ month without the cost of a home mortgage. We are not wealthy by any means but we sold 2 homes and bought a new one in the right place at the right time. Homes on a nice water front lot can go close 2 million and some start at 4 million.....You can have water front and be on the river which is also very nice. Ocean lots usually start at higher prices. It is well known fact that Tiger Woods' huge lot and home in Jupiter Island was 40 million. C. Dion Celine Dion House | Celebrity Net Worth also lives in Jupiter along with many more celebrities..

Last edited by Synergy1; 11-05-2011 at 01:59 AM..

Old 11-05-2011, 02:05 AM

4,341 posts, read 3,850,188 times
I haven't ever been to Jupiter, but I can say with some degree of certainty that I would never attempt to raise children anywhere in Miami Dade, Broward, or Palm Beach counties.

If you love the beach, MrPanda, you really don't have to go to South Florida. Anywhere in Florida is going to have a much nicer beach than Southern California. Leaps and bounds better. Specifically, the panhandle along the Gulf coast has the nicest beaches, and it's only a 5 hour drive. There are also great places all up and down the east and west coasts. I personally happen to think that Jacksonville is the most underrated part of Florida because it has a neat beach area, but also a mid sized city. It also has a huge river that runs right through the center of town and it doesn't have all of the problems of South Florida, which are way too numerous to get into here.

Anyway, just a couple quick suggestions if you happen to have a car there and don't mind a few side trips....

The first week in December is the quietist time of the year at Disney World. You can literally walk onto any ride in the parks without waiting, it's the best possible time to go. Orlando is a bit of a hike from Jupiter, but if you love Disney, it's a great time to go. People who live down there do it as a day trip all the time.

Also, I haven't been here since I was a little kid in the 80s, but this place is far and away the biggest and best Christmas display I have ever seen: Santas Enchanted Forest Opens November 3rd @ 5pm I commented to a friend who lived in Miami recently that I wanted to go back and she said, "Oh my God, that place is so ghetto!" So it may have changed since I have been...probably you'd want to do a little research before going, but I remember it was just so incredible and it makes that Lake Lanier nights of lights or whatever its called look like a piece of crap.

Have fun, Florida is great!!!! Just don't raise kids in South Florida. Watch the movie Bully to see why. True, that can happen anywhere, but the film makers really did an amazing job capturing the culture of South Florida and what it is like to live there. Everybody else I know who has lived there agrees with me.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:51 AM

408 posts, read 539,773 times
Hi Mr. Panda,

I think if I had to choose between S. Forsyth and Jupiter, I would pick S. Forsyth. I love the landscape here, change of seasons and though the schools in GA overall are not great, neither are those in Florida. My mom's brother and family were in Jupiter and my cousin went to the schools there and I think she feels like they were fine but they moved to S. Cal so she can try to land her dream of writing and producing. I also don't ilke the high cost of taxes and homeowners like the other poster noted and the hurricanes are horrible so GA hands down. Now, if my hubby had a promotion with a significant raise? We would probably go.

We do love GA so far and much better than Buffalo, however, it is hard not being settled. We just moved into a rental home from an apt and did have major issues with Comcast and AT&T but we do finally have our AT&T set up and it is fine right now. I have AT&T for home phone and DSL but am using wireless. I don't really understand all of that but my brother-in-law set up my modem and here I am on the computer. I'm not sure why I don't need the DSL. I think it's because I don't have a computer to plug into the wall. ;-)

We are now in the Sharon district so I am happy about that but will be very very happy once we sell and purchase. Still no bites on our home in NY and just lowered the price again. Don't think it's going to happen now until next year but a girl can dream.

Just spent the weekend in Athens. Went to a UGA game with my husbands work and that was a lot of fun. I'll get you that list of restaurants next week. My parents are currently in Argentina!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta