Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 03:32 AM

8 posts, read 17,300 times

Advertisements

Moving to Atlanta and trying to figure out the optimal area to look for housing. I don't want to have to face a commute longer than an hour. Thinking I'll consider Marta if safe. I'm not really a city person... Just got a job offer I can't pass up and so here I am!

1. Budget
Up to $1500 monthly rent.

2. House/Condo/Townhome?
House. I need over 3 BR with a fenced in yard.

3. Employment Status(commute)
I'll be commuting to the Suntrust Bldg- 30303. I haven't quite decided if I Shoul drive or take Marta. Will take any feedback... The drive into downtown during rush hour looks gnarly but I also want to be safe on marta. I've heard mixed reviews.

4. Children(public school vs. private)- N/A

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two.
Suburban.

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
Open.

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Educated. Professional. Open minded. Somewhere I can go for a run/walk my dogs in the evenings without worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 05:04 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times
Roswell , Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, SFH's, Suburban, good access to Marta, (Marta is generaly safe) but like any city subway system you have to be smart. But riding durring rush hour should not be a problem. I would take Marta to work,

Old 11-05-2011, 11:53 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,199 times
Any of the northen suburbs will meet your general needs. As flyonpa noted, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody and Roswell will give you MARTA access.

f you can't find homes in that area that meet your budget needs, you can also look at Smyrna or Mableton. You won't have MARTA access but commute to downtown is not bad with lots of alternative road options.

Based on other cities I have lived, Atlanta generally pretty dog friendly.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:33 PM

468 posts, read 1,378,840 times
Gwinnett has some nice places to offer. Here's a link to transit in Gwinnett. They've got nice bus service that'll take you downtown.

Or maybe Decatur? It's got some nice places and isn't that far from town.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:14 AM

Thank you all so much! I need to secure something in 2 weeks and the info is a great start... will be checking it all out this week.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:06 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,047,632 times
North Fulton. Anywhere that you can get to the North Springs MARTA station. MARTA can get quite sketchy at times in my experience, but it's fine during commuting hours.

Do you have to wear formal clothes to work? The only reason I ask is because MARTA stations are not climate controlled. So if you have an important meeting first thing in the morning, it can be problematic during the summer. You may have been standing on an non-climate controlled platform for 15 minutes sweating before work waiting for a train to arrive. That's what I always hated about MARTA, but I know air conditioned platforms are a little unreasonable to ask for.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
North Fulton. Anywhere that you can get to the North Springs MARTA station. MARTA can get quite sketchy at times in my experience, but it's fine during commuting hours.

Do you have to wear formal clothes to work? The only reason I ask is because MARTA stations are not climate controlled. So if you have an important meeting first thing in the morning, it can be problematic during the summer. You may have been standing on an non-climate controlled platform for 15 minutes sweating before work waiting for a train to arrive. That's what I always hated about MARTA, but I know air conditioned platforms are a little unreasonable to ask for.

Ugh! I didn't even think about that! I'm going to be in a suit at all times. Oh the heat! That's unacceptable... I think I just decided to commute by car!!

Someone mentioned CCT as a MARTA alternative? Does anyone know anything about that?

Old 11-06-2011, 03:20 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times
Xpress GA - Xpress Home are a option, they go all the way downtown, in AC buses from cumming and many other places.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:59 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,047,632 times
If I were you, I'd consider Buckhead. It's considered an intown neighborhood, but if you're up in north Buckhead, it's got the feel of a nice suburb.

You probably won't get a 3 bedroom house for your budget, but you never know! It's an old area, so there are still some older homes left that might rent out for about what you're looking.

If I were you, I'd consider a 2 bedroom apartment or townhouse. Most of the intown places accept dogs and there are quite a few parks and green spaces you can go to. The commute from Buckhead to downtown isn't terrible, and it's also close to MARTA for those days that aren't too cold or too hot (rare, but they exist!)

Old 11-06-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
If I were you, I'd consider Buckhead. It's considered an intown neighborhood, but if you're up in north Buckhead, it's got the feel of a nice suburb.

You probably won't get a 3 bedroom house for your budget, but you never know! It's an old area, so there are still some older homes left that might rent out for about what you're looking.

If I were you, I'd consider a 2 bedroom apartment or townhouse. Most of the intown places accept dogs and there are quite a few parks and green spaces you can go to. The commute from Buckhead to downtown isn't terrible, and it's also close to MARTA for those days that aren't too cold or too hot (rare, but they exist!)
Eh... I've done townhouse living for the last few years and not sure it's my bag... I think I'd rather deal with a commute than a bad neighbor that lives right next door. How safe is Buckhead in terms of crime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta