U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:50 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,588,298 times

Advertisements

it is called P U B L I C transport.

if you want P R I V A T E transport, you have other options. For now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 07:34 AM

7,496 posts, read 4,271,907 times
Quote:
I bet you that within 10 years, Gwinnett county has approved heavy or light rail. But I bet it will be a system built and run by Gwinnett county that connects to MARTA at the Doraville station and not an extension of MARTA itself. And why not? If you're building something like that, it makes more sense to figure it out yourself than to trust the one organization that has proven that nobody could possibly do it worse.
Gwinnett would still the assistance of MARTA in planning and designing a rail-based transit system. Who else is going help them that has the experience of 40 years of rail transit? If think MARTA is inefficient, Gwinnett would be worse!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:56 AM

4,388 posts, read 3,957,778 times
Quote:
Gwinnett would still the assistance of MARTA in planning and designing a rail-based transit system. Who else is going help them that has the experience of 40 years of rail transit?
Anyone who went to Georgia Tech and got a civil engineering degree. Anyone from any other metro area that has a successful mass transit system.

You are right, though. I wouldn't have any problem with them getting assistance from MARTA for planning and design, because I think the design of MARTA is actually fine. It's in the operations department where MARTA drops the ball.

I have every confidence in the world that Gwinnett could go hire a first semester MBA student from Georgia State and run with more efficiency than MARTA.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:55 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,606,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe404 View Post
It's annoying. I've vented about this repeatedly on MARTA's FB page. I agree with JPD. I keep my Breeze card in my wallet, and I use the train to go to/from work. I am usually carrying a laptop, lunch tote, and my handbag, and I'm usually running to catch the train/bus. It's really annoying to have to search through my handbag again to get to my wallet and then pull my Breeze Card out.

I mean, it's not the greatest issue on earth, but it's a nuisance.

From what I understand, however, they did it for two reasons: (1) of course, to track distance for trips, and (2) to stop people from sneaking in on those handicapped lanes. I didn't realize that second one until the very day the MARTA FB lady explained it to me and that night a guy came in while I was tapping out. #jerk

But yeah, my list of MARTA complaints are a mile long. I hate MARTA.
The MARTA card has an RFID. You can leave it in your bag, swipe your bag over the sensor, and it will pick it up just the same. No need to take it out. I swipe my ass across RF sensors all the time when I get lazy and works perfectly :-D

Old 11-10-2011, 03:20 PM

195 posts, read 266,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Anyone who went to Georgia Tech and got a civil engineering degree. Anyone from any other metro area that has a successful mass transit system.

You are right, though. I wouldn't have any problem with them getting assistance from MARTA for planning and design, because I think the design of MARTA is actually fine. It's in the operations department where MARTA drops the ball.

I have every confidence in the world that Gwinnett could go hire a first semester MBA student from Georgia State and run with more efficiency than MARTA.
I agree that MARTA's service is terrible, but bear in mind that Gwinnett County doesn't even run buses on Sunday.

The problem with MARTA is that its executives are accountable to nobody. They are unelected, and the state of Georgia couldn't care less about how well they do their job. One of these things ought to change.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:20 PM

2,832 posts, read 2,485,947 times
Not bothered by it at all.

LOL @ the big brother stuff. I mean seriously, of all the different people you're worried about tracking you, you get upset about MARTA? Seriously?

Old 11-11-2011, 04:01 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,588,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Not bothered by it at all.

LOL @ the big brother stuff. I mean seriously, of all the different people you're worried about tracking you, you get upset about MARTA? Seriously?
On that note i need to chime in. It doesnt matter if it is marta sarta garta farta serta or any other body/agency/whatever.

the issue is that there is a central registrar that collects data on your exact movements within a network.

it doesnt take more than a 10 year old with a badge to plug in all that data and there you have it.. and you can bet that the marta system will be live in name of terrorism so they wouldnt even have to send the kid with the badge to look it up.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:48 AM

1,158 posts, read 684,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
On that note i need to chime in. It doesnt matter if it is marta sarta garta farta serta or any other body/agency/whatever.

the issue is that there is a central registrar that collects data on your exact movements within a network.

it doesnt take more than a 10 year old with a badge to plug in all that data and there you have it.. and you can bet that the marta system will be live in name of terrorism so they wouldnt even have to send the kid with the badge to look it up.
how can they match this up to your identity?

I got my breeze card from a machine to which I provided no identifiable information, and I reload it with cash.

I'm not getting the paranoia here.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:56 AM

2,832 posts, read 2,485,947 times
I hate to break it to you guys, but if the evil gubment is planning on following you around and keeping tabs on you, MARTA's tap to exit is such a ridiculously small baby step towards total surveillance that you really ought to focus your energy elsewhere. If you were to order the effectiveness of all the different surveillance tools the government has at its disposal, would MARTA cards even crack the top one thousand?

Seriously, get over yourselves. Nobody gives a damn about you getting off at Five Points and going to a Braves game.

I'm not arguing "If you're not hiding anything, you've got nothing to worry about". I'm arguing that if you are hiding something, you've already got so much to worry about that you should probably be getting on the first flight Monterrey rather than whining about MARTA cards.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:14 PM

7,496 posts, read 4,271,907 times
Quote:
The MARTA card has an RFID. You can leave it in your bag, swipe your bag over the sensor, and it will pick it up just the same. No need to take it out. I swipe my ass across RF sensors all the time when I get lazy and works perfectly :-D
That must look odd, but very effect. I will have to try that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta