U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 01:52 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,831,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I suspect that the Atlanta schools are run far better than DeKalb County. It would appear that they are at least trying to be more transparent and it doesn't seem y'all have the transparency issue or the cronyism that we have, but I could be wrong. I'm not opposed to funding education, in fact I'm 100% for it. I will, and have done everything in my power to support our schools. But right now it seems to me that the bulk of the money in DeKalb is going to waste, a bloated administration and endless lawsuits. I've worked for various government agencies all my adult life and expect a certain level of shadiness/incompetence, but the level here in DeKalb transcends anything I've ever seen. For me my NO vote was actually a vote of NO CONFIDENCE in the current administration. As long as those idiots/crooks are in charge I will not willingly give them another penny of my money.
I feel that if I still lived in the City, I would have voted yes too.

DeKalb is an entirely different story however, as you have pointed out so eloquently. We have had indictments and convictions over our construction projects - cronyism was legion here. I'm not happy with the choice of the new Super either.

Since the SPLOST was the only thing on the ballot for unicorporated folks like me, I just didn't bother to go. I can count on one hand how many elections I've skipped, so this is not the norm for me at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 01:56 PM

222 posts, read 503,338 times
I don't see how Lake Claire kids would not be able to walk to Toomer; there are crossings at Rockyford and Arizona and distance-wise it would be a shorter trek. In addition to that, you have nice wide PATH trails practically leading up to the door of Toomer.

I don't disagree that there would be an initial decrease in property values for Lake Claire, but there would also probably be an increase in values for the Toomer catchment. So the property tax issue would be moot. But that aside, should a school system be concerned with private property values over the welfare of their schools?

I'm not necessarily advocating a redistricting, but I am questioning the motives here. I know that folks north of the tracks like to keep that boundary thickly drawn, but times, they are a-changin'...

Old 11-08-2011, 01:56 PM

1,884 posts, read 4,586,391 times
Here in N. Fulton, I had the same thoughts as Roslyn. I have been wondering for quite some time why SPLOST is needed if education funds are being properly used via our property taxes. My husband put it this way: the way it's worded on the ballot makes you feel as though of course you should vote yes! However, the reality is that it should say, "Vote yes so that we can mismanage the money you pay for your property taxes and you will still think you're getting your money's worth." I, too, voted no this time (but voted yes for Sunday sales! ).

Old 11-08-2011, 02:13 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,260,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlawrence View Post
I don't see how Lake Claire kids would not be able to walk to Toomer; there are crossings at Rockyford and Arizona and distance-wise it would be a shorter trek. In addition to that, you have nice wide PATH trails practically leading up to the door of Toomer.

I don't disagree that there would be an initial decrease in property values for Lake Claire, but there would also probably be an increase in values for the Toomer catchment. So the property tax issue would be moot. But that aside, should a school system be concerned with private property values over the welfare of their schools?

I'm not necessarily advocating a redistricting, but I am questioning the motives here. I know that folks north of the tracks like to keep that boundary thickly drawn, but times, they are a-changin'...
Now way crossing DeKalb Ave during rush hours is safe, ever. No way parents will allow their kids to do so. Right now some allow their kids to walk in groups without parents (at the upper grades). That would end. And I am not talking about crime here. I'm talking traffic dangers.

Perhaps the property tax issue would be moot. I'm not sure. Depends on if you're right in the trajectory of property values of houses in the Toomer cachement area. For one, while the property values in LC will drop immediately, there will be no immediate rise in property values in Kirkwood. Likely, they would both rise together around the same time.

This doesn't address the fact that you now have an entire neighborhood people you just screwed. Figurative you, btw. They bought their house when it was worth X and because of nothing they did, and not the economy, their homes are now worth 0.75*X.

But in the end, I'm telling you, as a member of the community in question, that the opposition is strongly focused on not breaking up the community.

On pure mercenary levels I have no dog in this fight. I'm in Candler Park. I wouldn't get screwed out of my property values and my choice for my kids education, etc.

But I am a member of the community and LC is part of it. I am opposed to breaking it up.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:57 PM
JPD

11,907 posts, read 14,569,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Now way crossing DeKalb Ave during rush hours is safe, ever. No way parents will allow their kids to do so. Right now some allow their kids to walk in groups without parents (at the upper grades). That would end. And I am not talking about crime here. I'm talking traffic dangers.
This is what crossing guards are for.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
This is what crossing guards are for.

Yeah, not seeing it on Dekalb Ave when people are streaming in from the eastern burbs. It's bad enough on McLendon where there's a single crossing guard at McLendon and CP Drive. I don't see getting the multiple that would be needed to handle crossing the different spots along Dekalb.

Also, that would turn Dekalb Ave into a School Zone, speed limit wise, during those hours. Not seeing that fly, either.

So what happens is these kids don't get the opportunity, or lose the opportunity, to walk through a nice, quite neighborhood unbisected by a highway. They get bussed or driven.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:49 PM
JPD

11,907 posts, read 14,569,256 times
Quote:
Yeah, not seeing it on Dekalb Ave when people are streaming in from the eastern burbs. It's bad enough on McLendon where there's a single crossing guard at McLendon and CP Drive. I don't see getting the multiple that would be needed to handle crossing the different spots along Dekalb.

Also, that would turn Dekalb Ave into a School Zone, speed limit wise, during those hours. Not seeing that fly, either.

So what happens is these kids don't get the opportunity, or lose the opportunity, to walk through a nice, quite neighborhood unbisected by a highway. They get bussed or driven.
The crosswalks are at redl ights. Crossing guards work just fine on Scott/Clairemont, a much busier intersection than anything on Dekalb Ave, and it is not a school zone/speed zone.

It doesn't matter to me if they redistrict your school. I'm not going to argue for or against, but I wouldn't let Dekalb Ave's traffic give you a false sense of security that it won't happen.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:04 PM

1,755 posts, read 4,936,523 times
I voted 'No' for Cobb's, yet it passed by like 57 votes. Supposed to not raise property taxes and they did it anyway. My view, is when govt. gets money for too long that is voluntarily they rely it on and then threaten the end of the world without it. Time to go back to bonds.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:23 PM

12,994 posts, read 21,146,034 times
Quote:
I voted YES.

Here's why: http://www.30307schools.org/

And here's APS plan: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B378-nEOL4TuMDA2MjU1YjQtMTBjNS00MjFlLWE1YTAtZTE5OWY3MDU 5MjA3&hl=en_US

Note the 12M for Mary Lin to renovate and expand the classrooms.

Right now Mary Lin has trailers crowding into the soccer fields.

Also, a recent study by APS showed Mary Lin to be "over-utilized" and one option on the table is to split the school, send kids to Toomer. Most in the community are opposed to breaking up the community this way. We already have a neighborhood school. Kids in the neighborhood shouldn't be forced to go to a school in a different neighborhood.

Not to mention how livid homeowners are going to be when they've purchased a home in the Mary Lin cachement area for the purpose of sending their kids to ML.

So, I voted Yes.
Quote:
Not to nit pik, but Mary Lin consists of three neighborhoods: Inman Park, Lake Claire, and Candler Park. Some time ago, Lake Claire was part of Kirkwood (home of Toomer Elementary). So, in one way, redistricting could be looked at as bringing the community back together. I mean, it would certainly be great for "under-utilized" Toomer to have kids from north-of-the-tracks fill up those extra seats, not to mention that Toomer is actually closer to many of the Lake Claire students.

I am still undecided, and trying to make up my mind before I head over to the polls later today. I do appreciate the increased transparency of APS, but I think it is a shame that neighborhood politics and, what I can only describe as, redlining, are part of a school system's agenda.

With under-utilized schools that are closer to many students, why not fill the classrooms first?
Quote:
I'm well aware of what you're saying, but I disagree. As a soft issue, as it stands Lake Claire kids can actually safely walk to school. In fact, ML has the highest walk to school rate of any other GA school. If you redistrict them to Toomer they won't be able to do that.

Also, what will this do to the property values of Lake Claire homeowners? They paid a premium for their home, mostly due to ML access. If they get districted to Toomer I promise you their home values immediately drop. Now perhaps they rise after a few years because an influx of LC kids in Toomer is bound to raise Toomer's performance. But that's a weak incentive there.

In addition, lowered property values = lower property taxes = less revenue. How is that good?

Now, what I've been hearing, as a resident of Candler Park but who is a member of the various neighborhood lists, is that NOBODY wants to break up the community of 30307 (yes, IP, CP, and LC). We already had Poncey-Highlands ripped away when they built SPARK. That wasn't painful education-wise or property value-wise but it sure did disgruntle members of the community.

I mean, one of the things that makes IP/CP/LC such a fantastic place to live is, besides the twice a day pie smell, the really strong sense of community. This threatens that. And we're trying to stop it.

As for Toomer, I'm not so worried about them. They've been on the rise for a while now. And there's still an influx of young people moving into that cachement area who will be sending their kids there. Those kids are still in the Grady cluster, which makes Toomer an attractive area for those who can't quite afford the ML, SPARK, or Morningside cachement areas.

Unless I am reading the situation really wrong, I'm pretty sure the entirety of the ML cachement area is extremely opposed to breaking up the community.
Quote:

Quote:

Perhaps the property tax issue would be moot. I'm not sure. Depends on if you're right in the trajectory of property values of houses in the Toomer cachement area. For one, while the property values in LC will drop immediately, there will be no immediate rise in property values in Kirkwood. Likely, they would both rise together around the same time.

This doesn't address the fact that you now have an entire neighborhood people you just screwed. Figurative you, btw. They bought their house when it was worth X and because of nothing they did, and not the economy, their homes are now worth 0.75*X.

But in the end, I'm telling you, as a member of the community in question, that the opposition is strongly focused on not breaking up the community.

On pure mercenary levels I have no dog in this fight. I'm in Candler Park. I wouldn't get screwed out of my property values and my choice for my kids education, etc.

But I am a member of the community and LC is part of it. I am opposed to breaking it up.
Quote:

http://www.atlantaga.gov/client_resources/government/planning/npu%20system/maps/npu_n.pdf (broken link)

http://www.atlantaga.gov/client_resources/government/planning/npu%20system/maps/npu_o.pdf (broken link)

http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/cms/lib...in/108/Lin.pdf

http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/cms/lib...108/Toomer.pdf

http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/cms/lib.../108/GRADY.pdf

Old 11-08-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
http://www.atlantaga.gov/client_resources/government/planning/npu%20system/maps/npu_n.pdf (broken link)

http://www.atlantaga.gov/client_resources/government/planning/npu%20system/maps/npu_o.pdf (broken link)

http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/cms/lib...in/108/Lin.pdf

http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/cms/lib...108/Toomer.pdf

http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/cms/lib.../108/GRADY.pdf

Hey Aries,

Nice maps. What are you trying to say, though?

What I am saying is they're talking about redrawing those lines (for the schools, not npus).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or