U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 07:03 AM

461 posts, read 901,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
They're nice maps!

And NAST is right - the rail tracks make a HUGE barrier between Kirkwood and LC/CP...I think they could never become a community the way IP/CP/and LC have.
We have rail running through Decatur City and it has no bearing on the community as a whole. We also have crosswalks at larger intersections that work just fine. I totally understand why the residents wouldn't want the change, but it's not a valid argument really.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 07:06 AM

I also did not realize that Decatur City SPLOST could not pass without the Dekalb majority. I am glad it passed in Dekalb for that reason alone.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:09 AM

2,642 posts, read 7,242,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhurstlauren View Post
We have rail running through Decatur City and it has no bearing on the community as a whole. We also have crosswalks at larger intersections that work just fine. I totally understand why the residents wouldn't want the change, but it's not a valid argument really.
Sorry, you're talking about an entire city, with several distinct neighborhoods. Not the same.

The neighborhoods north and south of the rail in Decatur absolutely form their own separate communities within Decatur City. The rail prevents communities from straddling the rail.

It's the same here. There is no community between Lake Claire and Kirkwood, and the rail absolutely is the reason.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Sorry, you're talking about an entire city, with several distinct neighborhoods. Not the same.

The neighborhoods north and south of the rail in Decatur absolutely form their own separate communities within Decatur City. The rail prevents communities from straddling the rail.
They may have been years ago when people had the same attitudes some of you are expressing on this thread. But as far as schools go, kids cross over from the Northside of the tracks (the same tracks you are talking about) at crosswalks to get to Oakhurst Elem and to Renfroe Middle every day without issue. The Southside neighborhoods (Oakhurst and Winnona) absolutely have their own flavor and community groups but are a part of Decatur as a whole also. It's not really that different. Kirkwood, Lake Claire, Candler etc all have their own distinct flavors and community groups but are part of Atlanta as a whole. Like I said, I can understand why from a property value stance people in LC would not want to be redistricted to Toomer, but the reality is that it works in other places and the arguments above are pretty weak IMO.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
They may have been years ago when people had the same attitudes some of you are expressing on this thread. But as far as schools go, kids cross over from the Northside of the tracks (the same tracks you are talking about) at crosswalks to get to Oakhurst Elem and to Renfroe Middle every day without issue. The Southside neighborhoods (Oakhurst and Winnona) absolutely have their own flavor and community groups but are a part of Decatur as a whole also. It's not really that different. Kirkwood, Lake Claire, Candler etc all have their own distinct flavors and community groups but are part of Atlanta as a whole. Like I said, I can understand why from a property value stance people in LC would not want to be redistricted to Toomer, but the reality is that it works in other places and the arguments above are pretty weak IMO.

Because it works in Decatur is not sufficient to determine my argument is weak, which is the same argument NAST has.

Especially since Decatur City schools is so different than APS school. Additionally crossings over Dekalb/College is more accessible throughout Decatur.

And answer me this, do a large proportion of children ACTUALLY walk to school? As I said before, Mary Lin has the highest walk to school rate in the state. There's a reason for that - community and lack of physical barriers.

Again, removing LC from the ML cachement area essentially rips it from the ML community, which we all hold dear.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:52 AM

222 posts, read 501,737 times
Pless, do you have the source for the walk to school data? I am curious to know where Toomer stands...

Old 11-09-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlawrence View Post
Pless, do you have the source for the walk to school data? I am curious to know where Toomer stands...
Let me see if I can find it. Honestly, it's just something ML has stated in some of their weekly newsletters (the Rocket).

But I'll see if I can find something more concrete.

However, I think several area schools have pretty good walk-to-school rates (guessing from observation).

Old 11-09-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Because it works in Decatur is not sufficient to determine my argument is weak, which is the same argument NAST has.

Especially since Decatur City schools is so different than APS school. Additionally crossings over Dekalb/College is more accessible throughout Decatur.

And answer me this, do a large proportion of children ACTUALLY walk to school? As I said before, Mary Lin has the highest walk to school rate in the state. There's a reason for that - community and lack of physical barriers.

Again, removing LC from the ML cachement area essentially rips it from the ML community, which we all hold dear.
LOL seriously? Yes, kids walk/bike here in droves, and they don't just cross College, they have to cross Howard (Dekalb Ave) if they live north of the tracks on the west side of town and are walking to Oak Elem, 5th Ave elementary or Renfroe.
If walkability were the motive here, the entirety of Lake Claire would be clamoring to be redistricted to Coan Middle School, it's about 2 miles closer to them than Inman. Do middle school kids not like to walk to school? Toomer is actually about 1/3 mile closer to Lake Claire than Mary Lin. It's all about property values, which like I said, I would not blame anyone for being up in arms about.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:26 AM

222 posts, read 501,737 times
BTW, Google maps shows that the distance to walk from the intersection of Lakeshore and Claire (the intersection from which Lake Claire gets its name) to Mary Lin or to Toomer is exactly the same; 1.1 miles or 23 minutes. Any part of Lake Claire that is south of that point is closer to Toomer, and only a small sliver west of that point is closer to Lin.

I think, more than anything, the railroad tracks are more of a psychological boundary. Back during the era of white flight, the tracks became a very real battle line between races (and it still somewhat is today - look at the census data). Then came the MARTA in the 70s, which cut off even more of the crossovers (they eliminated all of the at-grade crossings). I think it was around that time that Lake Claire "was ripped away" from Kirkwood.

Regardless, I understand the communities concerns, but Kirkwood is a lovely place and I think if the ML folks gave it a chance they would probably cross the tracks a bit more often. Maybe we need to have a neighborhood mixer - just to show y'all that we are not so scary.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:33 AM

668 posts, read 787,795 times
Quote:
LOL seriously? Yes, kids walk/bike here in droves, and they don't just cross College, they have to cross Howard (Dekalb Ave) if they live north of the tracks on the west side of town and are walking to Oak Elem, 5th Ave elementary or Renfroe.
If walkability were the motive here, the entirety of Lake Claire would be clamoring to be redistricted to Coan Middle School, it's about 2 miles closer to them than Inman. Do middle school kids not like to walk to school? Toomer is actually about 1/3 mile closer to Lake Claire than Mary Lin. It's all about property values, which like I said, I would not blame anyone for being up in arms about.
Sure, but once they cross Howard, do they also then have to walk three blocks past an abandoned and loosely secured industrial site?

I can understand why you think this is a weak argument, but for me it absolutely is a much greater concern than property values. Ultimately the magic at Mary Lin isn't the building - it's the dedication of the families that go there and the relationship they've built up with the teachers and administration. If redistricted, most of those families would pick right up at a new school where they left off at the old. However, I strongly prefer to stay in the ML community as Lake Claire has MUCH stronger neighborhood ties to Candler Park than to Kirkwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or