U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:13 AM

668 posts, read 789,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlawrence View Post
BTW, Google maps shows that the distance to walk from the intersection of Lakeshore and Claire (the intersection from which Lake Claire gets its name) to Mary Lin or to Toomer is exactly the same; 1.1 miles or 23 minutes. Any part of Lake Claire that is south of that point is closer to Toomer, and only a small sliver west of that point is closer to Lin.

I think, more than anything, the railroad tracks are more of a psychological boundary. Back during the era of white flight, the tracks became a very real battle line between races (and it still somewhat is today - look at the census data). Then came the MARTA in the 70s, which cut off even more of the crossovers (they eliminated all of the at-grade crossings). I think it was around that time that Lake Claire "was ripped away" from Kirkwood.

Regardless, I understand the communities concerns, but Kirkwood is a lovely place and I think if the ML folks gave it a chance they would probably cross the tracks a bit more often. Maybe we need to have a neighborhood mixer - just to show y'all that we are not so scary.
I don't think the issue is that folks find Kirkwood scary (every time we go through we're amazed at the difference from when we would visit our friends who lived over there 10 years ago). But, we're in the "small sliver west" of Lakeshore & Claire and the simple fact is if we want to go to a park, we walk to Candler Park. If we want to eat or get ice cream, we walk to the Flying Biscuit/Fellini's/Doctor Bombay's, or even Little 5 Points if we're feeling ambitious. If we run out of milk, we go to the CP Market. Each time we do, we see IP & CP families we recognize from school. That's the easy, casual neighborhood feeling we share with those neighborhoods that can't be replicated with Kirkwood.

I would also like to see a breakdown of where in Lake Claire the students actually live (we haven't seen a student directory yet). I suspect a lot of the student boom is happening along the western edges of the neighborhood. On our three block street alone, there are 8 current kindergarteners, and there are about 5 more on the street directly behind us.

Edited to add I think your idea of a neighborhood mixer is a great one, though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 09:31 AM

461 posts, read 902,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
Sure, but once they cross Howard, do they also then have to walk three blocks past an abandoned and loosely secured industrial site?
This is a stretch, if it were ever an issue it could be remedied very easily.

Quote:
I can understand why you think this is a weak argument, but for me it absolutely is a much greater concern than property values. Ultimately the magic at Mary Lin isn't the building - it's the dedication of the families that go there and the relationship they've built up with the teachers and administration. If redistricted, most of those families would pick right up at a new school where they left off at the old. However, I strongly prefer to stay in the ML community as Lake Claire has MUCH stronger neighborhood ties to Candler Park than to Kirkwood.
No arguments there. If I were a resident I'm sure I would feel the same way. I doubt "magic" and "relationships" will be valid points against redistricting though, so the trifecta should try and come up with a better angle

Old 11-09-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhurstlauren View Post
This is a stretch, if it were ever an issue it could be remedied very easily.
Which part is a stretch - that the Pullman Yard is abandoned, poorly secured or three blocks long?

Quote:
No arguments there. If I were a resident I'm sure I would feel the same way. I doubt "magic" and "relationships" will be valid points against redistricting though, so the trifecta should try and come up with a better angle
Just to clarify - that's just my take on it, not the neighborhoods'. If anything, it should be a point in favor of indifference to redistricting, not against. As we agree, though, there are other reasons to be opposed.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:02 AM

222 posts, read 502,548 times
Lets work on redeveloping the Pratt-Pullman Yard.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:02 AM

461 posts, read 902,432 times
Quote:
Which part is a stretch - that the Pullman Yard is abandoned, poorly secured or three blocks long?
The part where it would actually be an issue? I don't recall hearing about incidents at Pullman Yard, people walk by it now. I can't imagine it would somehow become an issue with crossing guards, heightened community awareness and more people walking by. Do hobos and child molesters run out of Pullman yard and attack people in broad daylight and I just don't know about it lol? Are you saying it would become a haven for such activity? I'm sure even if this were the case it could be remedied fairly easily.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
The part where it would actually be an issue? I don't recall hearing about incidents at Pullman Yard, people walk by it now. I can't imagine it would somehow become an issue with crossing guards, heightened community awareness and more people walking by. Do hobos and child molesters run out of Pullman yard and attack people in broad daylight and I just don't know about it lol? Are you saying it would become a haven for such activity? I'm sure even if this were the case it could be remedied fairly easily.
I'm actually more concerned about the site being an attractive nuisance to groups of passing school children than possible wild hobo attacks.

And I'm all for a well-planned redevelopment of that property, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:37 AM

2,642 posts, read 7,252,034 times
Quick add on - can't address every point listed bc I'm short on time.

Big point - I doubt Toomer has all the Promethean Boards and thin clients and other nice things that the Mary Lin PTA bought for Mary Lin. So the Lake Claire folks will have to start over to get those things for their new school.

This is not a race issue. This is about moving the goal posts after the game has started.

Kirkwood IS a lovely area and had I moved here when my child was an infant I would have considered it strongly. But, I moved here when my son started kindergarten and I chose ML based on it's reputation at the time. Now that my son is in 5th grade the direct impact of redistricting doesn't apply to me. But it overall affects my community. And the community I invested in is the ML cachement area of IP/CP/LC.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:51 AM

12,974 posts, read 21,083,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Quick add on - can't address every point listed bc I'm short on time.

Big point - I doubt Toomer has all the Promethean Boards and thin clients and other nice things that the Mary Lin PTA bought for Mary Lin. So the Lake Claire folks will have to start over to get those things for their new school.

This is not a race issue. This is about moving the goal posts after the game has started.

Kirkwood IS a lovely area and had I moved here when my child was an infant I would have considered it strongly. But, I moved here when my son started kindergarten and I chose ML based on it's reputation at the time. Now that my son is in 5th grade the direct impact of redistricting doesn't apply to me. But it overall affects my community. And the community I invested in is the ML cachement area of IP/CP/LC.
These links relate to all of the Toomer-Mary Lin-Kirkwood-Lake Claire discussions/posts that happened on this thread:

APS: Demographic studies could mean shifts in attendance | Get Schooled

Demographic Study / Overview

Enjoy!

Old 12-01-2011, 11:33 AM

28,197 posts, read 24,793,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post

The school board needs to be VERY careful with this redistricting plan. Tens of thousands of families have moved into the city and knocked themselves out for years to bring their schools to excellence. Several times that many residents have poured massive amounts of tax dollars into the school system, even if they didn't have kids . APS is the most heavily funded school system in the state by far.

Over the past 15 years the city of Atlanta has built great momentum for rejuvenating itself and elevating the quality of life and the education of its young people. Cheating teachers and administrators dealt us a nasty blow but we'll recover from that.

But nothing would kill the city's momentum faster than destroying the public school system again.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:52 PM

12,974 posts, read 21,083,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
These links relate to all of the Toomer-Mary Lin-Kirkwood-Lake Claire discussions/posts that happened on this thread:

APS: Demographic studies could mean shifts in attendance | Get Schooled

Demographic Study / Overview

Enjoy!

More...

Bolton Academy parent: Look at our terrific school before you judge | Get Schooled
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or