U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:34 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,617,029 times

Advertisements

Check smyrna/ vining area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 12:19 PM

12 posts, read 11,722 times
Thank you all for the suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Hmm this might be hard. Fulton Industrial Blvd (hwy 70) and the surrounding areas are extremely un-pedestrian and biker friendly and the only resturants around there are waffle houses and mcdonalds so living close to his job is out of the picture. Your best bet is living east of there more towards the intown area but 750/month will be hard to pull off for areas that are 1) convenient to his job and 2) in town where things are more dense/nightlife/pedestrian friendly.

I have some friends who live in an apartment complex fitting your budget in my neighborhood that is biker/pedestrian friendly and close to a plethora of restaurants but it would not be very convenient to his job. He would need to get on the Buford hwy connector, merge on to 85 south, deal with the downtown connector and all of the traffic that comes with it, then get on i20 west to Fulton industrial. Ouch!

I would check areas around cabbagetown, midtown, and maybe even Decatur. Dealing with private landlords might make things easier if you can haggle them down to 750/month. Staying close to interstate 20 will make his commute a lot easier.

Do you guys go to MTSU? I used to live in Nashville myself over by 8th Ave S near Melrose.
I attend Mtsu, at least until the end of this semester. You actually might be able to help me with another question. I would like to transfer to a school in GA but i realize i will be paying out of state tuition. So i was wondering if anyone knows a way to become a resident quicker than a year or if there is a way around the in state tuition policies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Here's my two cents. When moving to a city or area like Atlanta I myself would only do it with the title of fiancee. I don't know what the women are like in Nashville compared to Atlanta but the temptation for men is intense for the first initial year or so.

I would suggest you keep a side emergency fund just in case things don't work out. To me the title of boyfriend or girlfriend has no commitment so anything can happen. CYA. I'm not knocking your man or your relationship but I have seen things happen.

I've seen women come to ATL so called looking for a southern husband and get turned back due to competition. I've seen couples with the best intentions move to ATL and then the guy gets booty shock and mess up. I do wish you the best but understand the different levels of commitment between girlfriend, fiancee, and wife.. Especially when making major life changing events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m1EFMoRFvY

I realize it may seem risky for me to "follow" my boyfriend to another city but to be honest i'm not really interested in "getting a ring put on it" just yet. I am also financially independent of him and always have been..you have to be nowadays. We pay half of everything so there is never an issue. If something were to happen i will have enough money to get out of the situation..also im originally from Chattanooga so if i ever needed to go back I could.
I'd like to find something similar to what I live in here. It's an old house split up into different apartments. i'm not sure if that is something they have down there..but normally they are cheaper than regular apartment complex. I would not mind living in a 1 bedroom initially just until we get settled and familiar with the area. if anyone has anymore suggestions please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by annakonda8; 11-13-2011 at 12:48 PM..

Old 11-13-2011, 12:26 PM

Where do the college students live that attend these many schools down there? Also when is the traffic the worse? My bf will be working third shift so that may change it up a little bit.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:48 PM

738 posts, read 1,155,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annakonda8 View Post
I'd like to find something similar to what I live in here. It's an old house split up into different apartments. i'm not sure if that is something they have down there..but normally they are cheaper than regular apartment complex.
Those definitely exist in Atlanta, and they're a great option, but again -- be careful with what you find. They can be really nice or really shabby, or anywhere in between. I've lived in a few funky, spacious apartments in old 1920s buildings with hardwood floors, stained glass, built-in cabinets, fireplaces, pocket doors, clawfoot tubs, etc. However, they often weren't insulated and the plumbing and electrical were old and quirky. They may or may not be cheaper than apartment complexes, because what you save in rent may be eaten up by heating and cooling costs - and a lot of the complexes are offering really good deals on rent and move-in bonuses. I'm not a big fan of complexes, I'm just strongly advising that you visit apartments and check out neighborhoods in person so you can make an informed choice. What looks good in photos and on the map can turn out to be something completely different IRL.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the info. We are definitely going to be driving around and checking everything out in person once we get down there. I never go by what i see in pictures, its a huge risk especially the older homes.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:36 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,523,146 times
Quote:
Where do the college students live that attend these many schools down there? Also when is the traffic the worse? My bf will be working third shift so that may change it up a little bit.
They live all over the place. GSU is downtown and a lot of the students live there. GA Tech is in Midtown. Emory is in Druid Hills (between Midtown and Decatur), Moorhouse is just west of downtown. Etc. Then you have the schools that are further out such as KSU in Kennesaw and even students from UGA way out in Athens have been known to drive here on the weekends for a good time. Students are all over the place lol

Traffic is always bad on the downtown connector (that is what the locals call the stretch of interstate downtown where I75 and I85 merge into one superhighway). The connector is one of the busiest highways in the world.

As for the rest of the roads and highways, traffic usually starts building up at around 4 and it can last until 7:30 or sometimes even 8:00 or later in the PM. Morning rush hour traffic starts building up at around 7 or 7:30 and doesn't clear out until 9:30 or 10 AM.

Really it just depends on the spacific area though. Some areas are worse than others when it comes to traffic.

Quote:
Thank you all for the suggestions.
I attend Mtsu, at least until the end of this semester. You actually might be able to help me with another question. I would like to transfer to a school in GA but i realize i will be paying out of state tuition. So i was wondering if anyone knows a way to become a resident quicker than a year or if there is a way around the in state tuition policies?
I wish I could help but I initially went to college here right out of high school (went to Overton High School in Nashville). I just had to pay out of state tuition. I would get in contact with the admissions office of the school you're eyeballing and talk with them about your questions and concerns. Best of luck!

Last edited by Adric; 11-14-2011 at 04:59 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 02:14 AM

Well thanks for all of your help. I'm going to call some admissions and talk to them about some specifics i suppose. It definitely does not seem worth it to pay the out-of-state..its almost triple in state at some of the schools.
I just figured it might be easier to find a place close to where students live because normally they don't have very high budgets like us.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:55 AM

2,642 posts, read 7,370,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
This may be your best bet. Finding something for $750 in these areas is not impossible, but do your homework on both the neighborhood and the property for anything you find. There are a number of apartments in older "historic" homes, which can either be lovely and renovated or old and neglected - or some combination thereof. Check the address on Google Street View for things like burglar bars on the windows (a dealbreaker for me) and proximity to noise such as fire stations, highways and railroad tracks.

If you're interested in apartment complexes, you might try PROMOVE.com where you can search by location and budget.

This may not be a great criterion. I live in Candler Park, generally thought of as a safe part of town, and all the windows of my downstairs not facing the street have burglar bars on them. They're a decorative kind. Came with the house.

So, I wouldn't put this on your dealbreaker list. Listen to local scoop about the reputation of a neighborhood.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
This may not be a great criterion. I live in Candler Park, generally thought of as a safe part of town, and all the windows of my downstairs not facing the street have burglar bars on them. They're a decorative kind. Came with the house.

So, I wouldn't put this on your dealbreaker list. Listen to local scoop about the reputation of a neighborhood.
I'll keep that in mind. As long as the neighborhood or area is somewhat safe we will be fine. Where are the places that we should absolutely avoid? I've been cultured so i'm not afraid of some diversity, i'd just like to stay out of known crime areas.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Check smyrna/ vining area
How long of a drive would that be from that area to highway 70? how long to the city? And are those places more family oriented?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or