Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:06 AM

41 posts, read 93,082 times

Advertisements

What are the big differences between the both? I am from San Diego now living in tenessee and have visited Atlanta many times but I always end up in lithia springs and college park. What's the difference in terms of people and the way they think, cost of living, entertainment, etc. I am Latino and I Was wondering how I would b accepted since I heard the south is still segregated. Also I do like dating black women so I don't know how it will he viewed. Also how are the jobs in Atlanta compared to San diegos unemployment rate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 12:15 PM

6,561 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Well, since you're living in Tennessee, Atlanta is probably more like San Diego than anything in TN. Atlanta is actually more like LA overall. Atlanta has a growing Latino population, so you shouldn't have a problem especially if you're in the city, and you won't have any problems finding a black female. As for the way people think, it's hard to say. It depends on where in Atlanta and where in San Diego. The cost of living is lower in Atlanta, and ATL has more for entertainment (it's said to be the new Hollywood). The unemployment rate in Atlanta is really high, but I heard San Diego isn't too much better.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Well, since you're living in Tennessee, Atlanta is probably more like San Diego than anything in TN. Atlanta is actually more like LA overall. Atlanta has a growing Latino population, so you shouldn't have a problem especially if you're in the city, and you won't have any problems finding a black female. As for the way people think, it's hard to say. It depends on where in Atlanta and where in San Diego. The cost of living is lower in Atlanta, and ATL has more for entertainment (it's said to be the new Hollywood). The unemployment rate in Atlanta is really high, but I heard San Diego isn't too much better.
Last figures I can find list San Diego's unemployment at 9.7 and Atlanta's as 10.3

What make you think Atlanta has more entertainment than San Diego? Being a "Hollywood" just means that films and TV shows are filmed there usually because of lower labor costs and tax breaks.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:47 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
San Diego is a great town. However, you won't find heavy rail mass transit like we have in Atlanta.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:21 PM

San Diego does have a light-rail system though.

Plus they've got

Old 11-06-2011, 03:28 PM

I even heard that former Atlanta weather girl Dagmar Midcap (the most beautiful woman in the world) now works at a San Diego station.

And she's got a cushy job.

Jason: And now the weather. What's it going to be like Dagmar?

Dagmar: Well Jason, it's going to be sunny and 70 degrees for...oh...the rest of the week and probably the week after that! Back to you Jason.

Dagmar: ...Jason?

Jason: ...oh...yeah...sorry Dagmar...you are just so beautiful.

Dagmar: Yes...I know.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:58 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,509,300 times
The cost of living of Atlanta with the San Diego' weather

Old 11-07-2011, 02:00 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Last figures I can find list San Diego's unemployment at 9.7 and Atlanta's as 10.3

What make you think Atlanta has more entertainment than San Diego? Being a "Hollywood" just means that films and TV shows are filmed there usually because of lower labor costs and tax breaks.
Well, a 0.6 difference in unemployment isn't that much. I might have misunderstood the what the OP meant by entertainment. Maybe he meant nightlife and activities. Well, as far as nightlife, Atlanta used to be better when Buckhead Village was there, but not that is gone it's about the same if San Diego isn't better. SD's Gaslamp District in downtown is thriving and growing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
The cost of living of Atlanta with the San Diego' weather
I actually prefer Atlanta's weather, as crazy as people would think I am. I actually think Atlanta has the best weather in the world. I don't mind humidity and I like having four seasons but with mild winters with occasional snowfall. The summers can be a little brutal, but I love thunderstorms.

Last edited by SEAandATL; 11-07-2011 at 02:05 AM.. Reason: quoting another thread in the same post

Old 11-07-2011, 10:54 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I even heard that former Atlanta weather girl Dagmar Midcap (the most beautiful woman in the world) now works at a San Diego station.

And she's got a cushy job.

Jason: And now the weather. What's it going to be like Dagmar?

Dagmar: Well Jason, it's going to be sunny and 70 degrees for...oh...the rest of the week and probably the week after that! Back to you Jason.

Dagmar: ...Jason?

Jason: ...oh...yeah...sorry Dagmar...you are just so beautiful.

Dagmar: Yes...I know.
Had to giggle at this one. My husband was so upset that Dagmar went away! He loved her. He likes Markina too, I think who took her place, but he felt Dagmar was more "perky" in certain places LOL!

But to the OP, I don't think you will have any issues finding black women to date. I do feel it is rather segregated in Atlanta but even with the physical segregation, I have never felt that it is a racist/prejudiced environment on the whole. I am black BTW.

Cost of living compared to TN I would think would be higher but to San Diego much less. There is a ton of entertainment opportunities here. I feel that it is better to move here if you already have a job. The job market IMO is difficult right now. If you are close to us in TN, I would begin looking for employment in Atlanta so that you can come interview and land a position before moving and you won't have to worry about being unemployed.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:25 PM

227 posts, read 494,678 times
Moving back to San Diego is February. San Diego does have a higher cost of living but it is worth it. Weather is much better in San Diego, the crime rate is one of the lowest in the country, top rated public transportation system (light rail), San Diego is a much more active city, local neighborhoods and communities have a much closer feel to them as well. Another plus for me is that it is just 2 hours away from LA and their activities as well. I've been in Atlanta for almost 7 years but its time for me to go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta