U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 06:50 PM

757 posts, read 491,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdeedee2u View Post
So, I take that as a NO. Or should I get a shotgun to protect myself? I don't want to rent a place for a year and have anxiety episodes! I see nice house over there, and the house that I'm looking at is in between 2 empty houses....but more houses on the block have families in them. There is a school across the street, but would that make a difference? Also, this community have a neighborhood watch program....does it work? I'm concerned about the SAFETY of the area, not the house. The house has 2 security gates one on the front and one on back door, also burglar bars are on the windows. I don't like the idea of parking on the streets. I'm still undecisive about this move though. I need more information.........

That's up to you, that's a decision you'll will have to make for yourself. But the simple fact that you have apprehension about it already would make me say no. Because you will hear some gunshots over there at night, cars do get broken into over there, and there is still a fair amount of drug activity in that area. And if I'm not mistaken the 900 block of Martin St is south of Ormond Ave right? If I'm correct that is down near Tuskegee St., if that's it you are really kind of dealing with a hit or miss area. IMO north of Ormond is a little better. There are some nice houses over there, and there are a lot of people moving into that area that care about it and want to make it better. But that area isn't all the way there. Put it like this, I grew up in the hood, but I wouldn't live over there just off that fact that you have to park on the street, that doesn't sit well with me, that coupled with the fact that there are certain crews that I know for a fact are still over there selling drugs. And just a shotgun won't work, it's 2012 basically, the days of a 16 y/o running around with a .38 snub nose in his jacket are over. These kids nowadays are running around with assault rifles with drums and extended clips. Pull a gun out on them and you better be ready to use it. If you're by yourself over there I wouldn't recommend it. But it's still subjective, I wouldn't be scared of having my door kicked in over there so much as I would of having one of my cars stolen or broken into. But if you're already talking about anxiety then you will experience that when you hear some of the gun fire over there which is prone to happen. Either way that area is waaaaay better than what it was. I actually used to be scared to go to Summerhill/Peoplestown, that area was no joke back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 08:04 PM

11 posts, read 6,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkinlyon View Post
Hi.... it's been a while since I first posted my story of a bad experience I had while working on my house in peoplestown. My house is pretty close to where you are, just a block or two west. I've been here (by myself and more or less full time) for about a month now. It's not a great neighborhood but it's not that bad. Of course there are some trouble-makers but 99% are decent people. I'd say move in.... it's a great location and I think the key to making it better is getting some of these beautiful, empty houses filled.
Thanks for responding. Could you do me a favor by chance....every now and then, can you past the street and tell me what you see at different times...the house is in front of the primary school and it is between 2 empty houses. I don't want to past up the opportunity, but I'm concern about my safety as well. Have you noticed the neighborhood watch signs? And is it really a active program in effect? I'm relocating from California, so you know how that goes! BTW, shoot me your email so that we can keep intouch before I make my FINAL decision.

Thanks again,
Potential neighbor

Old 12-13-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
That's up to you, that's a decision you'll will have to make for yourself. But the simple fact that you have apprehension about it already would make me say no. Because you will hear some gunshots over there at night, cars do get broken into over there, and there is still a fair amount of drug activity in that area. And if I'm not mistaken the 900 block of Martin St is south of Ormond Ave right? If I'm correct that is down near Tuskegee St., if that's it you are really kind of dealing with a hit or miss area. IMO north of Ormond is a little better. There are some nice houses over there, and there are a lot of people moving into that area that care about it and want to make it better. But that area isn't all the way there. Put it like this, I grew up in the hood, but I wouldn't live over there just off that fact that you have to park on the street, that doesn't sit well with me, that coupled with the fact that there are certain crews that I know for a fact are still over there selling drugs. And just a shotgun won't work, it's 2012 basically, the days of a 16 y/o running around with a .38 snub nose in his jacket are over. These kids nowadays are running around with assault rifles with drums and extended clips. Pull a gun out on them and you better be ready to use it. If you're by yourself over there I wouldn't recommend it. But it's still subjective, I wouldn't be scared of having my door kicked in over there so much as I would of having one of my cars stolen or broken into. But if you're already talking about anxiety then you will experience that when you hear some of the gun fire over there which is prone to happen. Either way that area is waaaaay better than what it was. I actually used to be scared to go to Summerhill/Peoplestown, that area was no joke back in the day.

Yes, thats it!! Thanks for your insight and keeping it real about the area! I will TERMINATE the deal tomorrow, because I can't be bother with chaos. I might just do better by staying in Cali, at least I don't have to worry about gunshots where I live. I was in ATL on last Monday and during school hours, the streets were clean and as soon as I came back around in about 2 hours or so....I saw 3 guys hanging out by the store...a red flag went up QUICK!!!! Hmmm, that tells me something right there and they notice my plates weren't Georgia! Hey, I saw some people with New York plates looking at a house up the street, but oh well. I know there's more to the story to tell, so fill me in...PLEASE!!

Old 12-13-2011, 10:05 PM

757 posts, read 491,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdeedee2u View Post

Yes, thats it!! Thanks for your insight and keeping it real about the area! I will TERMINATE the deal tomorrow, because I can't be bother with chaos. I might just do better by staying in Cali, at least I don't have to worry about gunshots where I live. I was in ATL on last Monday and during school hours, the streets were clean and as soon as I came back around in about 2 hours or so....I saw 3 guys hanging out by the store...a red flag went up QUICK!!!! Hmmm, that tells me something right there and they notice my plates weren't Georgia! Hey, I saw some people with New York plates looking at a house up the street, but oh well. I know there's more to the story to tell, so fill me in...PLEASE!!

I wouldn't say do that just yet, I would say do more research on it, talk to some more people who actually live over there. I'm just familiar with that area from hanging out over there when I was a teenager, and I know people who still live over there from the old days of the neighborhood. Like I said it's really subjective. The reason I said you might not want to move over there is because you seemed a little apprehensive when you said you went over there during the day. And not actually knowing you and just going off of that statement alone is the reason I said that. The issues over there right now don't really bother me, but at the same time I could see how someone else may not be cool with it. That area has gotten a lot better, and there is still crime over there, but not to the point where I myself personally would be bent out of shape about it if I lived over there. When I said I wouldn't live over there wasn't because of the crime even but because of the parking on the street thing, I like to play with old cars in my free time and parking an old school on the street over there that i only drive once a week just doesn't sit well with me, but that's just me. A good friend of mine who I grew up with lives on Atlanta Ave. and he parks his '86 C 10 on the street and no one messes with it. But that's also because he grew up over there, and the people over there who would steal a car know him and respect him. For myself not being from that neighborhood I don't think it would be a good look. But if you live in areas like that and mind your business and stay vigilant and be smart about things you'll be fine. With that said I still love that area, I just like how it looks with the houses all close together like that and actual blocks and grids set up of it.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
I wouldn't say do that just yet, I would say do more research on it, talk to some more people who actually live over there. I'm just familiar with that area from hanging out over there when I was a teenager, and I know people who still live over there from the old days of the neighborhood. Like I said it's really subjective. The reason I said you might not want to move over there is because you seemed a little apprehensive when you said you went over there during the day. And not actually knowing you and just going off of that statement alone is the reason I said that. The issues over there right now don't really bother me, but at the same time I could see how someone else may not be cool with it. That area has gotten a lot better, and there is still crime over there, but not to the point where I myself personally would be bent out of shape about it if I lived over there. When I said I wouldn't live over there wasn't because of the crime even but because of the parking on the street thing, I like to play with old cars in my free time and parking an old school on the street over there that i only drive once a week just doesn't sit well with me, but that's just me. A good friend of mine who I grew up with lives on Atlanta Ave. and he parks his '86 C 10 on the street and no one messes with it. But that's also because he grew up over there, and the people over there who would steal a car know him and respect him. For myself not being from that neighborhood I don't think it would be a good look. But if you live in areas like that and mind your business and stay vigilant and be smart about things you'll be fine. With that said I still love that area, I just like how it looks with the houses all close together like that and actual blocks and grids set up of it.
I understand you to the fullest and that is why I want to get out of the deal now! I just don't want to take any chances with my life.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:29 AM

4,280 posts, read 3,687,305 times
I'm no expert on the area you are talking about. I've never been there. I understand the allure of getting a great deal on a house. I know some people are more comfortable in sketchier areas than others.

But may I please, just for a moment, be the voice of reason? Just a little bit of common sense?

You are looking at a house in a potentially unsafe part of town. You will have to park on the street. The houses on either side of it are vacant.

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FREAKING MIND?????????

Someone had to say it. Even if you had 3 pitbulls, a shotgun, and and the best burglar alarm money could buy, I would still say you are asking for trouble.

Just today on the news I saw a woman facing her attacker in court. She said that she will never be the same again and her life is ruined. Okay, that might be a tad dramatic, but still....do you want to be that woman?

Come on, be reasonable. Do a cost-benefit analysis. What's the potential benefit? A nifty urban lifestyle? A house you might make a few bucks on? Okay, great. What's the potential cost? I shouldn't have to spell that out for you. Is that cost worth it? Especially since there's no guarantee you will make any money on the house and lots of areas offer much better urban lifestyles with a fraction of the safety concerns.

It seems like most people don't want to tell you what to do because they don't want to be blamed for giving you bad advice. Well, I'm not worried about that because I know my advice isn't bad. If you live in a place like that as a single woman, you are a fool.

That is all.

I don't even care how many single women come out here and say, "well, I live there as a single woman, am I a fool?" If that's true, then yes, you are.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'm no expert on the area you are talking about. I've never been there. I understand the allure of getting a great deal on a house. I know some people are more comfortable in sketchier areas than others.

But may I please, just for a moment, be the voice of reason? Just a little bit of common sense?

You are looking at a house in a potentially unsafe part of town. You will have to park on the street. The houses on either side of it are vacant.

Someone had to say it. Even if you had 3 pitbulls, a shotgun, and and the best burglar alarm money could buy, I would still say you are asking for trouble.

Just today on the news I saw a woman facing her attacker in court. She said that she will never be the same again and her life is ruined. Okay, that might be a tad dramatic, but still....do you want to be that woman?

Come on, be reasonable. Do a cost-benefit analysis. What's the potential benefit? A nifty urban lifestyle? A house you might make a few bucks on? Okay, great. What's the potential cost? I shouldn't have to spell that out for you. Is that cost worth it? Especially since there's no guarantee you will make any money on the house and lots of areas offer much better urban lifestyles with a fraction of the safety concerns.

It seems like most people don't want to tell you what to do because they don't want to be blamed for giving you bad advice. Well, I'm not worried about that because I know my advice isn't bad. If you live in a place like that as a single woman, you are a fool.

That is all.

I don't even care how many single women come out here and say, "well, I live there as a single woman, am I a fool?" If that's true, then yes, you are.
Wow...thanks for keeping it real!! I respect your insight!! I'm no foo-foo woman and I terminated the deal already. Therefore, the house is a no go for me. I was told awhile back that anything below I-20 is not a good area to live in, haaaa and they were correct! Oh well, moving on...I will find something a much better neighborhood...THANKS!!!

Old 12-14-2011, 12:35 PM

4,280 posts, read 3,687,305 times
Great to hear!

And here's something you can do, just for fun.

Five years from now, go and drive by the house you almost bought. I'll bet you $100 right now that the area is not significantly better. You would have lived in the 'hood for five years.

Everybody thinks "their neighborhood" is the next big thing. A few of them are right. Most are wrong. I'm betting agains this area.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Great to hear!

And here's something you can do, just for fun.

Five years from now, go and drive by the house you almost bought. I'll bet you $100 right now that the area is not significantly better. You would have lived in the 'hood for five years.

Everybody thinks "their neighborhood" is the next big thing. A few of them are right. Most are wrong. I'm betting agains this area.
Once again, THANKS! You only confirmed what my father told me when I told him that no one lives on either side of the house. He told me to squash that the deal QUICK!!!! It may have been alright for me if I had a family, but not as a single person. I just didn't want to move there and be afraid to sleep at night.....anxiety sucks! And the school across the street wouldn't have made a difference. Hm, I wonder if that neighborhood watch sign is just there to ward off criminals.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:49 PM

10 posts, read 6,655 times
Quote:

That is all.

Hey.... you've never been there. It's totally unfair to apply some anecdote from some other part of the city/state/world to the situation in Peoplestown. There are safety concerns everywhere in Atlanta. Everywhere is a "potentially unsafe part of town." Peoplestown is better than some and worse than some. Of course it might not be a good idea for a single woman (or anyone) to live in a house set in between to vacants. The problem with your advice is that it is no more applicable to Peoplestown than the advice of my good-ol-boy coworkers who think it is insane to live anywhere within 30 miles of downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta