U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 03:02 PM

387 posts, read 1,103,159 times

Advertisements

Yes. I'm truly suicidal over this whole ordral.

Anyway, any thoughts on what would happen if Southwest began servicing ATL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 03:03 PM

677 posts, read 1,732,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Have you tried to book the flight thru the Delta.com site to get a lower fare? If it's not lower on the DL site then I must admit the system is indeed flawed a bit.
Getting back to this a bit late -- DSL line went down earlier.

It's not really a flaw in the system, it is the system. You're not buying two trip segments and adding up the amount for each. You're buying a trip from either Jacksonville or Atlanta to Seattle and back. The airline prices, and sells you, the origin-to-destination trip. If irregular operations result in a cancellation of one or the other of those segments, and they route you through SLC, CVG, or LGA instead, they've still met their obligation under their contract with you. That your original routing was through Atlanta is not material.

Is it absurd? Yeah, it is. Their cost is obviously higher to put you on two planes, transfer luggage, etc. than to send you point to point on one plane. But the essential point is that people who want to go from Atlanta to wherever are much less price conscious (because a higher percentage of them are business travelers) than those traveling to and from Jacksonville (because more of them are leisure travelers). If there suddenly weren't business butts in Delta's seats out of Atlanta, the fares would drop.

So it's all my fault (well, me and the thousands of others like me). So you can blame me if you want. Seems to work for my wife . We have that arrangement -- I can be right, but it's still my fault. I think that's why we're still together.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:23 PM

677 posts, read 1,732,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post

Probably not as much as you might think. AirTran's been good for airfares out of Atlanta in general, but even they aren't as cheap as they once were, and they can only serve so many markets. Delta's been more expensive than other options as often as not this year, but load factors for the flights I'm on don't seem to be suffering. Southwest could only manage to pick up a relatively small number of takeoff/landing slots and gates at ATL, so there's a limit to how many markets they could serve, and thus to how much impact they'd have.

It's also not as painless for business travelers like me to deal with Southwest as with most other airlines -- and when I'm flying 43 weeks out of the year the last thing I want is cattle-call boarding. (What I want is my Gold Medallion upgrade to First Class on Delta, but there's usually enough Platinum Medallions on the same flight that I end up in steerage with everyone else ). There would definitely be times when I'd pick another carrier's more expensive flight rather than fight certain battles.

It'd be a good thing for competition, to be sure, and it's not an accident that the markets in the eastern half of the country that tend to be cheaper than Atlanta for long-haul west-coast destinations are ones served by Southwest, but it's not a magic bullet.

Last edited by rackensack; 08-28-2007 at 03:42 PM..

Old 08-28-2007, 03:29 PM

387 posts, read 1,103,159 times
Agreed, generally. I've only flown SW once... from Tampa to Austin. The ticket was 112 bucks . It was a straight shot and I really don't care where on the plane I sit, but I've heard not-too-good things about SW.

I guess this is just more of an eye-opener to what I've already heard and known about this place... first and foremost - a business city, and only that. Other known business cities feature amazing deals, especially internationally, but they also double as massive tourism spots and places where people actually want to visit... NYC, Chicago, Boston, etc. Poor poor Atlanta.

Again, with all the Floridian transplants moving to Atlanta, this is just another thing to consider.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:43 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,646,897 times
Quote:

I lived in Minneapolis for over 40 years (NWA's home base), and folks up there asked the very same question.

Living at a major airline hub is both good and bad. :-)

The answer is probably "not much", and I don't think it's likely because WN tends to service low-congestion airports. They also tend to stick to airports which don't experience weather delays, making MSP a much less likely destination than ATL, but I think there's too much happening at ATL to make it tempting for them to come in.

Disclaimer: I worked in IT at NW for 10+ years, and still work in the airline industry (though not at DL), so my view of the hub-and-spoke structure may not reflect mainstream sentiments. I happen to think it makes sense from an operational viewpoint, and I think it presents some benefits to ATL as well as some Bad Things. Same with MSP.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:27 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,425,796 times
Ah, quit being so nice with this chat room staffer....throw us a few more softballs like, do you think Michael Vick got the appropriate punishment? or my favorite, what do you think about the traffic?

If this is truly not the case, let's help her out of her anguish. I'll bring the gun, who will drive? After all, I just hate this traffic. If Atlanta sucks then Florida is a vacuum. I lived there after I moved here in 83 (moved to South Flahradddah in 89) and came running back in 97....never a more crappy place to live could one hope for....

Airfares....sure, but like most Floridians, you will have to hire Hulk Hogan to get them to pay their frickin' bill. Dodging bills in Florida is an art form. People don't move there for the weather, they move there to compliment their lazy attitudes. That place has more credit-card eating bimbos per square mile than Buckhead during the dot-bomb era. It is truly the new silicone valley....not all bad I guess....

And if you think Flahraddah is such a bahhhgain dear, go back there and join the rest of the bad debt herd. Atlanta sure has it's drawbacks but at least people tend to say hello, tend to smile, usually pay their bills, and the housing is stable. Flahhhraddah's housing just took a 40 percent uptick over the last 4 years only to drop 30 percent in the last one.

It's the kind of place where you could yell "Stop Thief!!!" in the street and most would run. It's no wonder it's THE favorite spot for episodes of COPS.....you know, filmed before a live audience. If you are in need of the HIV virus, chicks in acid-washed jeans and fu-fu hairdos, bad service, bad manners, bad attitudes, look no further. Florida has it all...in spades. It's the home of the *******, the home of the telemarketer, the home where 50 year old men have room mates and wear gold chains and drive camaros....grow the f up.....please!

Everything is a hustle. It's where the New Yorkers that couldn't make in New York go. Go to Manhattan, you will be treated fine. Go to South Flahhhraddah and you will be treated rudely even in $200/night hotels. It's simply amazing. When you ask for directions, no one can give them to you (I know, I use to mess with the hammerheads at the BK off Stirling and I-95...used to ask them how to get to I-95...you could hear the traffic and if you leaned far enough forward you could actually see the on-ramp north...amazing...after 8 years, not ONE employee could tell me.....every question is answered with a "what's in it for me" attitude.

Enjoy the bahhhgans from the garment center folks....enjoy the miserable "maggot mile" (Glades Road in Boca) and all the nastiest people on the planet. Good thing the airfares are cheap. You would blow your brains out if you had to stay there any length of time. Talk about heat? It's slave plantation hot down there. Orlando and Sebring take top Sauna honors. You can literally cut the air with a knife......you drip in the shade.....your privates are always "damp". You can't outrun it. It's disgusting really....

Dirty, grimy, crowded, rude, expensive, violent, crime-ridden, and sunny. Yep....Flahhhraddah has it all, including the low, escape-while-you-can-airfares......go, there is nothing stopping you!

As you can see, they even bring their bitchy attitude up with them.....always looking for cheaper, always wanting something for nothing. Pay the fare lady and shadddyup....

Old 12-13-2007, 05:55 AM

431 posts, read 1,528,786 times
Default I miss the cheap flights too

Quote:
Noah, the east coast definitely has cheaper deals if you're looking to head to Europe or the Caribbean - without a doubt. Of course, if you want to go to Australia or Asia - the west coast has the cheap fares.

I'm basing this latest rant of mine on Atlanta vs. the choices I had living in Florida. Maybe there's not enough demand for a Jacksonville to Seattle flight, so Delta lowers the fare to UNDER 200 bucks? I don't know.... but the exact same flight for Atlanta travelers is double - literally, double the amount.

Who knows.

By the way, same with flights to NYC. I've been told (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that when Delta had the "Song" airline - they didn't even fly out of Atlanta. God those were some cheap flights. I think I made it to NYC from Orlando for less than 108 r/t.
You've been getting bashed really hard on this thread, but i have to agree with you that the flights out of ATL are way more expensive than when I lived in Orlando. I was very surprised, actually. I used to fly back and forth to NYC several times a year. Now i can't do that anymore because it's not within my personal budget. I complain about a lot of things, but I let that go and had to adjust to it. I just wish there was a rational explanation for the big hike in fares, and it doesn't have anything to do with the higher fuel prices because then FL fares would have gone up too. And I do miss Delta Song (are they still in business?) and JetBlue. they don't have those here. Flying on Airtran is terrible after being on Song or JetBlue. Oh well, you can't have everything.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:31 AM

7,191 posts, read 8,947,024 times
Sometimes Atlanta can be ridiculous. One of the several reasons why I don't go home for my breaks from college (Thanksgiving, Feb, Passover, etc) is because I don't have the money to plop down for a flight. I didn't get my finals schedule until the first week of November so I booked a flight from Boston to Atlanta- I didn't have a choice of dates because I had finals to the last day and then we had to be out of our dorms by noon the next day. My round trip ticket is $450. That was the cheapest there was.

Now I'm sorry, but that's absolutely ridiculous. As a college student, that is more or less a whole semester's pay check! The government only allows me to make through federal work study $500 a semester. So yeah, absolutely ridiculous.

If there were any more decent colleges in GA besides Emory maybe I wouldn't have had to fly halfway across the country to get an education. But I shouldn't have to pay so much just to be able to see my family when it's SUCH a common flight. I would have taken Amtrak, but there's only one train a day and it's a 24 hour ride. With the snow, if I miss the train in DC then I have to wait a full day to catch the next one!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:45 AM

23 posts, read 64,327 times
Quote:
Just an example:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2720/deltahh4.png (broken link)

versus

They are the same exact flights. Delta didn't even list those flights when I went to their site and typed "ATL" for the origin.
These are NOT the same exact flights. Your flight from JAX has a 2 hour layover in the the ATL airport, you also have a layover on the return flight.
I fly from ATL to OR and WA often, in fact I'm headed to OR in February. I avoid layovers like the plague when I fly out West, in fact I pay for the more expensive ticket to get the direct flight.
When you compare make sure to do it apples to apples.
I travel quite a bit and I can tell you two tips, never book on Monday's tickets are generally higher and book as early out as possible, by at least 14 days.
But seriously, your suicidal over $200? Maybe you should save up for a vacation for NEXT year.

The grass is always greener on the other side, it seems. But in your case it seems it isn't green anywhere. You weren't happy in FL and it seems you aren't happy here. I grew up in FL, south of Orlando and couldn't be happier here in ATL. Different strokes for different folks I guess, but you won't find me bashing FL and its shortcomings on any forum. I rather focus on the positives of the city I call home and try to defend it from the complainers that hate it but won't leave or be part of a solution to fix whatever shortcomings they feel exist.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:48 AM

9 posts, read 13,559 times
Default timing

the earlier you book the cheaper... a new airline thats pretty reasonable is airtran...well new to me...try them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta