Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 02:58 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I can understand why someone would like it, it's just not for me. I run 5k's so that's not a big deal for me, I can train for that anywhere, but cycling sucks here, I live in Kennesaw (Marietta before) but I have to go another 25 miles noirth to hit a decent cycling spot with no traffic. Everywhere else my buddies take me is just too dangerous and not worth it. The MTN biking here is weak. Im sorry but it is, they do what they can but just not that great.

I use to go to the Thrasher games every now and then, from Marietta 45 mins to a weeknight game, that sucks. The deal with happy hr that pisses me off is that you get a beer with dinner and anythig decent is $5, oh but you can get a pitcher of PBR for $2, lame.

Im into winter sports so I miss the snow, no skiing sucks. And I play in adult hockey games and the only decent league is in Alphretta. ATL is littered with northern transplants that want to play but the leagues suck, the rinks suck, and they are far away.

I use to live in the south and born in TX but I cant deal with southern summers. PPL say how great the weather in the south is, but I disagree.

Dude, MTB here is NOT weak. If you feel that way you have so missed outl There are some GREAT MTB courses in the NGA Mtns. Heck, there are decent trainer ones in metro ATL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 03:28 PM

10 posts, read 18,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Are those cities in America?

YES!!(and yes I did google everything but Austin) Austin,TX; Syracuse, NY; Milwaukee, WI LOL

Old 11-28-2011, 04:32 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Dude, MTB here is NOT weak. If you feel that way you have so missed outl There are some GREAT MTB courses in the NGA Mtns. Heck, there are decent trainer ones in metro ATL.
I've biked at Blankets Creek and a few other places in the metro places, I dont remember the names, they weren't the drive to do it again. So I hit up Blankets Creek every now and then, it's pretty close. I've heard there are good places further away in the mtns but that's my complaint I guess, to do any of that you need to make a day trip on Saturday out of it.

Blankets Creek is decent, but on the weekends it's way too crowded with too many idiots. But I'm a bit bored with it.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:25 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
I think Atlanta has horrible bike paths for road bikes. They're sporadic, start, and quickly end. Guess you have to start somewhere but Atlanta isn't even close to being bike friendly. Still remember that MARTA bus passing within 1 foot of me (no exaggeration). Piedmont Park trails are not enough. It'd be nice to have a continuous, bike safe, path from say Stone Mountain and connect up with the Silver Comet Trail. Guess the Belt line will provide a loop path to link up other areas but I wonder ultimately how safe will the loop be? Will we bike some stretches but not others? Even the Silver Comet Trail is not entirely safe.

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 11-28-2011 at 06:05 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 05:57 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I think Atlanta has horrible bike paths for road bikes. They're sporadic, start, and quickly end. Guess you have to start somewhere but Atlanta isn't even close to being bike friendly. Still remember that MARTA bus passing within 1 foot of me (no exaggeration). Piedmont Park trails are not enough. It'd be nice to have a continuous, bike safe, path from say Stone Mountain and connect up with the Silver Comet Trail. Guess the Belt line will provide a loop path to link up other areas but I wonder ultimately how safe with the loop be? Will we bike some stretches but not others? Even the Silver Comet Trail is not entirely safe.
I gotta agree with this one. All the major thoroughfares should have well marked and consistent bike lanes. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting on them because the city can't even mark the roads for cars adequately it seems. I think there needs to be a push for driver education as well. It wouldn't surprise me if the MARTA bus driver was just another ignorant Atlanta driver oblivious to the 3 foot rule.

I've heard rumors that the PATH trail that runs from Stone Mountain was eventually going to reach the Silver Comet Trail.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:20 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I think there needs to be a push for driver education as well. It wouldn't surprise me if the MARTA bus driver was just another ignorant Atlanta driver oblivious to the 3 foot rule.
No, I'm sure he knew. I've seen it happen before as a passenger. One day when I was out riding, the cyclist behind me was dueling with a MARTA bus. The cyclist was in his lane and the bus was on his tail honking its horn for him to get out of the way. The cyclist wouldn't submit. There are lots of drivers that want bikes off the road.

Quote:
I've heard rumors that the PATH trail that runs from Stone Mountain was eventually going to reach the Silver Comet Trail.
Is there a trail from downtown to Stone Mountain? I see the PATH signs but soon I lose track of any marked bike path.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:24 PM

649 posts, read 1,132,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
These are 3 lame reasons. You aren't convincing people to live here with that.
Even though I hate humidity and have no plans to move to Atlanta, those are actually three great reasons

Old 11-29-2011, 06:26 AM

58 posts, read 131,921 times
OMG I cannot believe no one has mentioned the fact that we are BLESSED to have the REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ATLANTA. Seriously did Bravo have to pick on Atlanta an choose the city for a franchise of that ridiculous show. However I feel like Atlanta is better than most because the city is quickly emerging as one of the nations better foodie cities.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:11 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:

Is there a trail from downtown to Stone Mountain? I see the PATH signs but soon I lose track of any marked bike path.
Yes, although I believe some portions of it are on the street.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:30 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
That's debatable. The University System of Georgia is not all that well coordinated and many schools are experiencing "mission creep". The recent proposal for consolidation of campuses suggests that the University System has inefficiencies. Georgia schools do compete with each other for students, programs, and funding with Kennesaw State of late being the most vocal. Granted that they have to do all that through the BOR, but the BOR seemingly doesn't like to say no very often.

We probably have too many schools and schools were at times located for political reasons. As for the endowment, GT and UGA account for most of that. No other school's endowment even come close to GT and UGA. And North Carolina has a good university system with UNC Chapel Hill being better than even UGA. And GT had better watch its back as NC State is really gearing up to be a major research center. Alabama does alright but they probably have too many engineering schools when it should have concentrated on a few or just one. Georgia recently is expanding the number of schools that offer engineering. There are plenty of other good state supported southern universities.
Some inefficiencies does not equal an inefficient system overall.The fact that they are being looked at closely is evidence that all measures are being taken to minimize such inefficiencies.

What system in any state does not compete within its own borders?The schools that they are talking about are typically small schools.Most of the schools in USG have done nothing but grow.Schools like Kennesaw,Clayton State,Georgia Gwinnett College and even Georgia State have come up really fast.

As far as engineering goes yes ,you are right GT should watch its back.However GT is not standing still.In fact its is on the path with Emory to be a leader in Nanotechnology.In the South,GT is the engineering school to beat.Not many even come close.

Out of the Top 50 Public Universities,GT is just behind NC-Chapel Hill.University of Georgia is ranked #23.NC State is #46.

Dont forget about the up and coming Southern Polytechnic University in Marietta.
I believe Georgia has one of the few public Medical Colleges in the U.S. in Augusta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta