Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:27 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
USG acting to consolidate doesn't necessarily mean closing down campuses. That would be the case if enrollment was too low. They are thinking more like combining schools to reduce the administrative overhead. Georgia Perimeter and Atlanta Metropolitan would be two good candidates for merging and it won't mean a reduction in campuses. In the case of GSU and KSU, it might be more effective to reduce the number of competing programs in some cases. A higher enrollment makes for more course offerings and faculty. In that case it would be better to have a program at one school rather than water it down at two or more. Competition is good but the university system somewhat defies market forces as it is government supported.

And argue what you want about HBCUs, it's still a delicate issue. It has been proposed before and shot down. It would be better to combine the schools in Savannah and Albany but there are emotional attachments to preserve Savannah State and Albany State as predominately black.

As for engineering, it would serve the areas better if these engineering schools were in major cities. I don't see Georgia Southern "serving" the engineering needs of South Georgia any better than GT (or even Southern Poly). Statesboro is somewhat remote and about an hour from Savannah at best. UGA just wants engineering for the research contracts it can get, plus that along with an eventual med school will make it a truly comprehensive university. And what reputation has Southern Poly earned as of late?

For nanotechnology, I think a lot of outrageous promises have been made as to its future. I'm just wondering how much good money is being thrown after bad.
Well my school(Fort Valley State University)is the fastest growing school in the state.With the new leadership(including my father who is an alumnus and a Vice President there),there has been a push to increase its enrollment by operating on and off nearby Warner Robins Air Force Base.Typically those schools (HBCU's)are the ones that have higher rates of caucasians.This is true for many of those I poster earlier.

Regarding Georgia Southern and Engineering:Augusta is exploding with new growth and development.Its 45 minutes from Statesboro.So you have Savannah AND Augusta within a hour of the school.Not to mention 2 HUGE (Fort Gordon and Fort Stewart)military bases that can collaborate with the school for training and research purposes.

Last edited by afonega1; 12-02-2011 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 03:21 PM

5 posts, read 18,500 times
I'll toast to the HOPE scholarship. Got me a debt-free degree! Yeah! And after living in Minneapolis and St. Paul for three years after graduating, I'm a fan of the no snow. Atlanta it is for me for a few years! Yeah!

Old 12-03-2011, 01:25 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well my school(Fort Valley State University)is the fastest growing school in the state.With the new leadership(including my father who is an alumnus and a Vice President there),there has been a push to increase its enrollment by operating on and off nearby Warner Robins Air Force Base.Typically those schools (HBCU's)are the ones that have higher rates of caucasians.This is true for many of those I poster earlier.
That may be, but Fort Valley is pretty small so it's easier to show larger changes in terms of percent. Their enrollment rose by about 170 students from last year. Really the fastest growing school in the state is Georgia Gwinnett.

Quote:
Regarding Georgia Southern and Engineering:Augusta is exploding with new growth and development.Its 45 minutes from Statesboro.So you have Savannah AND Augusta within a hour of the school.Not to mention 2 HUGE (Fort Gordon and Fort Stewart)military bases that can collaborate with the school for training and research purposes.
Augusta is more like an hour and a half from Statesboro. I suppose the military can use Georgia Southern for training but GT will be doing any serious research. Augusta might as well take a little longer and look to Atlanta for engineering support. I'd be better to have engineering schools IN Augusta and Savannah.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:00 AM

36 posts, read 87,895 times
One thing I notice in Atlanta and the surrounding areas that I do not see in many of the northern cities anymore are Lower and middle class blacks and whites eating in the same restaurants and shopping in the same stores. I went out with my family the other day to a golden corral in Douglasville and their was just as much blacks eating in the establishment as whites and I never really see that in New York or many of the other large cities up north.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:39 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
But combined, JFK, LaGardia, Newark, New York has more flights.

Good Catch!

However... that means we'd also have to fly out of JFK, Laguardia, or Newark!.... -yuck-

Not the best airports for services, friendliness, and ability to access. However, they are great for transatlantic connections.

I usually joke around that JFK isn't just one airport... its actually 12 separate ones using the same runways! I can't wait to see what the new Delta terminal is like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyte3k View Post
I would agree partially with 2 out of the three (#2 and #3).

1) Direct flights. While that is important, how often do most people really fly out in a year? Maybe a handful of times? And if you really love where you live, I don't think think being a transportation hub matters all that much when the other 355 or so days are spent local.
While a very good point and an otherwise excellent commentary... I believe you are largely missing the point and missing the importance of being a transportation hub. Look at what Atlanta has become. A city grew here almost entirely because of being a transportation hub! It is the primary reason for our existence.

The importance of flight connections has little to do with how much a typical individual travels, but much more to do with inter-city, inter-state, and inter-national business connections we can bring to our city. Many do business here, because we have a higher degree of access. It is also why we are a major convention hub that supports many jobs locally.

Many businesses locate offices here for branches of their business that require a larger degree of travel between regional offices and local branches. We have a higher rate of frequent business fliers than most cities, because of this.

As for me... I'm an exception and odd ball. My business is 100% travel and conducted outside of Atlanta (outside of the nation really) and this is just a convenient place for me to continue to live.

I do have one major comment about this thread as a whole though... I'm tired of trying to argue we are better than other cities... so much as what we can say that makes our city exceptional. I love traveling, because there are so many great places out there and that doesn't necessarily take away from what makes us great.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,574 times
Default moving to atlanta

I have never been to the city and will be moving with my husband (who will work at home or downtown) and a 2 year old. We have a pretty good home budget (500k) and are looking for a safe, pretty neighborhood to live that will be close to a good (private) school for my little one and possibly University of Georgia (grad school) for me. Any thoughts anyone?
Thank you!!

Old 12-09-2011, 02:14 AM

37 posts, read 62,372 times
I like this thread. Good reasons being posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta