Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 03:04 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
You are right in saying that all my work experience is in academia. Somedays I regret not pursuing a career in IT. Seems like that is where all the money is right now. I am still leaning toward the IT field as an alternative just in case I can't find a good teaching gig in a decent metro area. I recently applied for a government gig with Bureau of Census in ATL. I am a pretty ambitious and likeable guy. All I need is a foot in the door and the rest will take care of itself.
"IT" covers a broad range but presumably if you're a Ph.D. professor you're thinking of relatively high-skill positions, not taking calls on a help desk.

I have a master's in computer science, was a top student, and have a parent, now retired, whose working career was as a university professor (not in computer science). I work in the high-tech end of my field, love my job, and probably the main reason I'm still employed is because I'm far more able than average (as is the team I work with) and willing to work really hard. The people I'm competing with to keep my job are offshore outsourcers - talented, highly educated citizens of India, Ukraine, et al. who are willing to work much longer hours and for much less money than Americans are accustomed to thinking reasonable. American employers don't hesitate for a moment to replace their onshore staff with offshore, any time the cost/benefit analysis favors offshore.

In good conscience, I can't recommend that young Americans entering college today consider the computer science field. It's so vulnerable to offshore competition. Maybe the US government is likely to remain a privileged enclave of actual American jobs. However, being familiar with the working conditions in academia (my parent) as well as my own, I think the OP could be at risk of making a terrible mistake. I'm with the chorus saying, try to find an academic job in a location you like better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 05:52 PM

207 posts, read 643,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
In good conscience, I can't recommend that young Americans entering college today consider the computer science field. It's so vulnerable to offshore competition.
Having a graduate CS degree myself, I certainly agree that there is fierce competition from much lower cost nations for many of the CS-oriented jobs. That leads to unstable employment, lower salaries, high stress, and long hours. However, most other professions are under the same pressures. Corporate legal jobs (e.g., drafting patent applications) are rapidly being moved to India. There are even some hospitals moving radiology jobs to India because the images can be read remotely.

At this point, I don't really know what major/profession to suggest to young people. Medical may be an option, but medical costs are entirely unsustainable in even the short-term. Something will have to give in the healthcare industry, and that something may in part be doctor salaries. Given the amount of debt incurred for an MD (often 200k+), it is disconcerting for the future of the field to be so uncertain.

As to answering the OP's question, I think that location definitely impacts quality of life. It has a much larger impact if you're single. I moved from upstate NY to Atlanta and like it here MUCH better. I don't know if you have a tenure-track position or an adjunct position. If it is tenure track, then I would agree with the other posters that you have a cushy position and I would seriously consider staying. If it is not tenure track, then I would start packing (after finding another job, of course).

Old 11-27-2011, 06:19 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times
Hey all,

Great advice. Have definitely given me something to think about. My current teaching position is with a military institution and would be considered tenure. However, if budget cuts occur and positions are reduced I would be one of the first to be booted due to being the newest hire. Every now and then I hear talk about government cuts and I worry that my job will be next.

If I can find another position (as a professor/mathematician) that starts out at least 65K, has good job security, and is in a better location than upstate NY I am definitely going to consider it.

But until that door opens I am definitely not going to leave my current job. I just don't want to be one of those people who spends 30 years of their lives working and not ever being able to enjoy life outside of work.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:47 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,167 times
If you haven't already, maybe you can visit the Atlanta area to see if you like it OK to live. It is very different from where you live now.

Academia generally has lots of job security, so I would view that a definitely plus over the private sector despite the salary differences. I know as a professor it can take you about 7 years or so to get the coveted tenure. That is a huge job security factor that is not offered much anywhere else as you already know.

On the other hand, many of the IT people who work in federal government are contractors as you probably already know. You could try something else and return to academia, you are still young to sort that out.

If you want to make a change, now is a good time for you. It is definitely much more difficult as you get more set in your career and start a family. No matter what you do, that is the case. It sounds like you are at a great crossroads to make a big decision. Good luck.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:50 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
If you haven't already, maybe you can visit the Atlanta area to see if you like it OK to live. It is very different from where you live now.

Academia generally has lots of job security, so I would view that a definitely plus over the private sector despite the salary differences. I know as a professor it can take you about 7 years or so to get the coveted tenure. That is a huge job security factor that is not offered much anywhere else as you already know.

On the other hand, many of the IT people who work in federal government are contractors as you probably already know. You could try something else and return to academia, you are still young to sort that out.

If you want to make a change, now is a good time for you. It is definitely much more difficult as you get more set in your career and start a family. No matter what you do, that is the case. It sounds like you are at a great crossroads to make a big decision. Good luck.
Hello all,

Thanks for the advice. I definitely have a lot to think about in the upcoming few months. Worst case scenario is that I end up moving closer to NYC and just making the 50 mile commute each way to work. I really don't care to make such a long drive, but if that is what I have to do to make my experience better than it is worth it. My job is a good one and I wouldn't leave unless I was offered major $$$ in a better location. Ahhh!!! Decisions...Decisions.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: