Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 06:04 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,033,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
I don't get this. Are you saying someone getting an executive job at Home Depot Corp is not success?

What is success to you? Isn't that subjective?
My wife works in the HD SCC. 99% of the folks who work there are not executives (even the merchants aren't really "executives" as such), most are hourly, and many don't really make all that much.

That said, a job is a job, and sitting in an office beats a lot of other jobs in the summertime, so it could be considered successful by some measures. You can certainly live in a nice house in a nice area and drive a nice car, assuming certain values of "nice"...

Old 12-02-2011, 06:10 PM

31,990 posts, read 34,542,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Thats because you live down in Atlanta. Blacks who dont live there and never been there have a totally different view of what Atlanta ACTUALLY is.
You know I spent a semester down there, right?

Here's a sample of some of the ridiculousness I've seen down there:

1. Cars with "spinners" and Gucci/Louis paint rolling down Peachtree Street with trunk-rattling bass. Five Points to Midtown was nothing but a parade of pimped out vehicles with scantily-clad girls dancing through the moonroof. This would be the case every Friday night.

2. LOTS of gold fronts. I don't think I've ever seen more gold teeth in my life.

3. Grown men wearing basketball jerseys EVERYWHERE. Throwbacks may have started in Philly, but Atlanta took them to a whole new level.

4. Guy in Cadillac Escalade throwing money from his windows onto Peachtree while sitting in traffic. I've never seen more Escalades, Navigators and Suburbans in my life. I think "spinners" were standard issue.

5. Morris Brown and CAU students making every effort to live up to the image of black colleges portrayed on BET's College Hill.

6. All-Star Weekend/Player's Ball. Nuff said.

7. Went to a "professional" event down there where the DJ figured Travis Porter's "All the Way Turned Up" would be appropriate.

8. Wet Willie's? Seriously?

9. Bouldercrest Mall? Whoa.

10. "Aye, aye, shawty!"

If that's not living a rap video, I don't know what is. There's a level of gaudiness down there that can only be matched by Detroit. P.G. County has some of that, but it's not nearly as pervasive, and for the most part the hood crowd and the buppie crowd are pretty separate (Bus Boys & Poets is a good example). Not so in Atlanta. You could be wearing a blazer with nice shoes at a nice bar and then some dudes stroll in with matching UNC Tarheels outfits.

DC is BY FAR a classier and more cosmopolitan scene. Atlanta's better if you're young (18-22), into the "industry," or married and want a cheap, big house with a lot of land to raise a family. For the mid 20s to early 30s crowd, I think DC and NYC have a much greater range of options.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:16 PM

369 posts, read 656,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

1. Cars with "spinners" and Gucci/Louis paint rolling down Peachtree Street with trunk-rattling bass. Five Points to Midtown was nothing but a parade of pimped out vehicles with scantily-clad girls dancing through the moonroof. This would be the case every Friday night.

2. LOTS of gold fronts. I don't think I've ever seen more gold teeth in my life.

3. Grown men wearing basketball jerseys EVERYWHERE. Throwbacks may have started in Philly, but Atlanta took them to a whole new level.

4. Guy in Cadillac Escalade throwing money from his windows onto Peachtree while sitting in traffic. I've never seen more Escalades, Navigators and Suburbans in my life. I think "spinners" were standard issue.

5. Morris Brown and CAU students making every effort to live up to the image of black colleges portrayed on BET's College Hill.

7. Went to a "professional" event down there where the DJ figured Travis Porter's "All the Way Turned Up" would be appropriate.

10. "Aye, aye, shawty!"

If that's not living a rap video, I don't know what is. There's a level of gaudiness down there that can only be matched by Detroit. P.G. County has some of that, but it's not nearly as pervasive, and for the most part the hood crowd and the buppie crowd are pretty separate (Bus Boys & Poets is a good example). Not so in Atlanta. You could be wearing a blazer with nice shoes at a nice bar and then some dudes stroll in with matching UNC Tarheels outfits.

DC is BY FAR a classier and more cosmopolitan scene. But it got too boring for me, so I had to take a trip up north.
I have a question for you... what is your intended outcome from an elite class of Blacks like the ones you say exist in NY or D.C. are you content with them reaching those top level positions or is there something more, some apex that should be reached? What would the biggest accomplishment be?

Old 12-02-2011, 06:25 PM

864 posts, read 1,121,164 times
Quote:

10. "Aye, aye, shawty!"

DC is BY FAR a classier and more cosmopolitan scene. Atlanta's better if you're young (18-22), into the "industry," or married and want a cheap, big house with a lot of land to raise a family. For the mid 20s to early 30s crowd, I think DC and NYC have a much greater range of options.
What year was this and what part of town/event was this in? I've yet to see that tomfoolery but I and many others don't hang with that crowd or in the hood.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:03 PM

8,477 posts, read 14,951,366 times
Quote:
I don't...know...about...that.

You're talking about a region that's far larger than Atlanta. There are more black people in the Boroughs alone than there are in the entire Atlanta Metro. Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Jersey, Westchester and Long Island all have a lot of middle class blacks. They're just not as visible because there are another 18 million people in the New York CSA they have to live around.

I think it also depends on whether you're talking about African-Americans or just blacks in general. Because areas like Crown Heights, Flatbush, Canarsie and Jamaica Estates have a lot of middle class West Indian families.
Oh, I do know about that.

My mom is from St. Albans in Queens, which was back in the 50s what Prince Georges County or Dekalb County are today: Filled with thousands of middle class black families. Things were ok for a while, but during the 70s things started to go down hill for NYC and Queens was no exception. The drug epidemic hit it hard in the 80s and people started moving out. My parents made the migration from NYC in the late 70s and they aren't the only ones. So I know from personal experience from family and friends of my parents that a lot of them have moved on from NYC. That's not to say there still aren't middle class families in NYC as there are plenty, but they are no longer as sizeable as they once were. NYC is a very interesting case where you have a lot (though small percentage wise) of upper class blacks, an exteremely large amount of lower and working class blacks, and a disappearing middle class.

This NY Times story really expands on that:

For New Life, Blacks in City Head to South
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/22/ny...pagewanted=all

Old 12-02-2011, 08:15 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,856,950 times
Not to change the subject (OK ... to change the subject) but I am watching Tyler Perry's new comedy "For Better for Worse" and there is NOTHING funny about this thing. Did they accidently omit the annoying laughtrack? Because without it to break up the bad dialogue ... this thing is just plain bad. AND WHERE ARE THE WHITE PEOPLE? Not a token one in sight. I'm offended.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:49 PM

32,009 posts, read 36,673,317 times
Quote:

10. "Aye, aye, shawty!"
When was this? That sounds like Freaknik or Buckhead in 2003. We are WAY beyond that.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Oh, I do know about that.

My mom is from St. Albans in Queens, which was back in the 50s what Prince Georges County or Dekalb County are today: Filled with thousands of middle class black families. Things were ok for a while, but during the 70s things started to go down hill for NYC and Queens was no exception. The drug epidemic hit it hard in the 80s and people started moving out. My parents made the migration from NYC in the late 70s and they aren't the only ones. So I know from personal experience from family and friends of my parents that a lot of them have moved on from NYC. That's not to say there still aren't middle class families in NYC as there are plenty, but they are no longer as sizeable as they once were. NYC is a very interesting case where you have a lot (though small percentage wise) of upper class blacks, an exteremely large amount of lower and working class blacks, and a disappearing middle class.

This NY Times story really expands on that:

For New Life, Blacks in City Head to South
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/22/ny...pagewanted=all
Let's be fair now. How many middle-class blacks actually live in the city of Atlanta? Not Marietta. Not Conyers. I'm talking about Atlanta proper. I can only think of a few places. There's that neighborhood off of Cascade Road before you get to 285 (name escapes me). That's one. Really, that's the only one I can think of. Once you pass the Applebee's heading towards Fulton Industrial Blvd, you're in Fulton County incorporated, not the city of Atlanta. There was another neighborhood I'm forgetting (closer to 1-20), but that was mostly older families living in much older houses. Younger families are more likely to move to newer construction in Cobb or Douglas Counties. One more that comes to mind is near Greenbriar Mall. That's not many middle-class black neighborhoods.

So you're left with what? The rest of the SWATS (all around Lee Street and down Abernathy) is hood. The West End Mall was hood. Northside Drive was the hood. Metropolitan Ave was the hood. Bankhead was the hood. Much of Moreland Ave was hood. Vine City was the hood. Over near Boulevard was hood. Everything else (Collier Heights, Midtown, Buckhead) was white and affluent. So Atlanta's no different from any other city where the people moving in are young professionals (mostly white), the people moving out (or avoiding it all together) are young families, and the people left behind are poor minorities.

So I don't know why some pretend (not you specifically) that Atlanta is this land of milk and honey for black people. I witnessed black people living in some of the worst living conditions (psychological and physical) imaginable. I'm talking about seeing young mothers at the Marta station with all types of skin lesions and deformities (baby would have them too). You would think they grew up next to a power plant. I'm talking about rampant homelessness. I'm talking about pedophiles trying to approach children on the playground at my mentoring program when my back was turned. I'm talking about seeing APD drag a lady out of her house butt-naked kicking and screaming and then cuffing her on the ground. And that's what I saw over the course of just a few months! Atlanta may have nice suburbs, but the city can be downright depressing.

So I ask you: how is Atlanta so different from NYC?

Old 12-03-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
When was this? That sounds like Freaknik or Buckhead in 2003. We are WAY beyond that.
The "professional" event was at the High Gallery back in 2010. I repeat. The "professional" event was at the High Gallery back in 2010. The DJ played Travis Porter followed by the song "Sponsor." That's way too funny to even be made up.

Atlanta and P.G. County are pretty much the same thing. The only real difference is that Atlanta has celebrities. And people tend to be flashier overall. That's about it. The other important difference is that "buppies" and the "Beltway crowd" are more segregated in DC than they are in Atlanta. This is largely due to the high cost of living there. You're going to drop a lot of dough ($2K+) to live around the stuff hip, young, professionals like (public transit, galleries, dive bars, Ethiopian restaurants, etc). Much like NYC, there's a lot of prestige wrapped up in addresses there. So the high COL makes it a lot easier to separate the pretenders from the contenders.

That's why I think black women love DC so much. It makes their job easy. If they see a guy's car and he has Maryland tags, they can strike him off the list. Then there are the multiple professional happy hours around the city that occur on a daily basis. The moment you hand over your business card you can bet her girl is already on her LinkedIn iPhone app checking out your credentials. It's the ultimate pre-screening mechanism for black women. Tell a girl that you live in Meridian Hill (quadruple bonus points if you own since homeownership is harder to attain in DC than Atlanta) and watch her ask you all types of questions about the countries you've traveled to and the Malcolm Gladwell books you've read. Then tell another girl you live in Laurel, MD and watch her scoff, "Are you one of these bruthas who drives a big flashy 7 series and throws fight parties in the basement of his townhouse?"

Again, I'm not making this up. This was admittedly one of the worst things about living in DC. It's bourgieness is on a whole different level.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:55 AM

369 posts, read 656,398 times
Quote:
The "professional" event was at the High Gallery back in 2010. I repeat. The "professional" event was at the High Gallery back in 2010. The DJ played Travis Porter followed by the song "Sponsor." That's way too funny to even be made up.

Atlanta and P.G. County are pretty much the same thing. The only real difference is that Atlanta has celebrities. And people tend to be flashier overall. That's about it. The other important difference is that "buppies" and the "Beltway crowd" are more segregated in DC than they are in Atlanta. This is largely due to the high cost of living there. You're going to drop a lot of dough ($2K+) to live around the stuff hip, young, professionals like (public transit, galleries, dive bars, Ethiopian restaurants, etc). Much like NYC, there's a lot of prestige wrapped up in addresses there. So the high COL makes it a lot easier to separate the pretenders from the contenders.

That's why I think black women love DC so much. It makes their job easy. If they see a guy's car and he has Maryland tags, they can strike him off the list. Then there are the multiple professional happy hours around the city that occur on a daily basis. The moment you hand over your business card you can bet her girl is already on her LinkedIn iPhone app checking out your credentials. It's the ultimate pre-screening mechanism for black women. Tell a girl that you live in Meridian Hill (quadruple bonus points if you own since homeownership is harder to attain in DC than Atlanta) and watch her ask you all types of questions about the countries you've traveled to and the Malcolm Gladwell books you've read. Then tell another girl you live in Laurel, MD and watch her scoff, "Are you one of these bruthas who drives a big flashy 7 series and throws fight parties in the basement of his townhouse?"

Again, I'm not making this up. This was admittedly one of the worst things about living in DC. It's bourgieness is on a whole different level.
You're full of ish or you've been hanging around crackheads (or a bunch of NY transplants that couldn't cut it there and thought D.C. would be easier for them to push around WRONG!).

I don't even know why you're comparing a core city to a county. Prince George's and Atlanta are not the same. Obviously a better comparison would be DeKalb, and Prince George's has places like National Harbor and Bowie, Upper Marlboro, Ft. Washington areas are pretty well-to-do and which comprise of 70% of the county land. Largo area is not bad either considering it got the first Wegmans in the Maryland National Capital Region (there's no Wegmans in D.C. or Montgomery County)

You make it seem like there's this huge buppie class in D.C. proper lol, please, most of the Blacks in D.C. proper live in crappy areas like Anacostia, and parts of NE and SE.

You're talking about living by transit and Ethiopian restaurants etc which could only be in U Street or downtown Silver Spring, Maryland, the last time I checked U st was gentrifying heavily, you see almost as many white people there as you see blacks now, if it wasn't for the Ethiopians there would hardly be an black businesses. And U st is not fooling anybody as some wealthy enclave. Get back to me when they're living in NW neighborhoods like Friendship Heights, Chevy Chase, Georgetown, or to a lesser extent Gallery Place, Dupont, Lower 14th, or Logan Circle. If they were living in Bethesda, Maryland (which is smartest area in the nation) that would impress me more than U street but there's definitely no huge buppie class in Bethesda.

You may find some buppies in some apartments in the new Southwest/Navy yard area but that place is so new there's hardly anything there, it's totally dead at night.

So these "gold diggin girls" that are pre-screening sure have some slim pickins, they practically cut out 90% of their target demographic and probably will find some older dude. Most likely they find someone that rents and throw money at some expensive overpriced D.C. apartment or some tiny condo with excessive condo fee. That's their choices. Get back to me when they bought their own row house or were smart enough to buy a nice big house in Prince George's County.

The interesting part about D.C. is that the highest end areas are not in the City so the "buppies" versus the "Beltway crowd" is nonsense.

Last edited by readyset; 12-03-2011 at 09:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta