Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2011, 04:17 PM

65 posts, read 336,144 times

Advertisements

I just moved from Texas and I applied for Georgia state driver's license. I surrendered my other state driver's license. They gave me a temporary Georgia drivers license valid for 120 days. Few days later, I got a letter from the DDS office stating that my data didn't match with the social security records and I will not be able to get my driver's license until the issue is resolved.
The problem is that I have a long last name (as in passport) with a space in between. I guess the Social security has a last name length restriction of 13 characters. Since my last name didn't fit in, they actually used a portion of my last name as the middle name. Somehow, I got my drivers license in Texas (long time back).
However, in GA, they are refusing to give me the drivers license. The CS rep in DDS office said I need to go to SSA office to get it fixed. But, the SSA office in Texas already told me that they can't do anything because of length restrictions. I asked the CS Rep to return my old Texas drivers license since they are not willing to give me a permanent one in GA. But, she said they have shredded my old other state license.
Has anyone ever faced this issue before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 08:21 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
A 13 character limit on last names? That's ludicrous.

I have no idea how to help in this bureaucratic nightmare, but I would suggest contacting your local Congressman's office for help. I know they can help you deal with federal agencies, perhaps they can help with the state as well. Maybe helping with SS is all you need, and that would be a federal agency. Give them a call, they have staffers whose jobs it is to help people with stuff like this.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:01 PM

7 posts, read 23,788 times
This type of thing doesn't surprise me about GA, when I was working down there earlier this year I bought a truck to use for 6 months. The DMV reps refused to allow me to register it since I was not a state resident. Even though i had an address where I was staying. They told me to register it in my home state..problem was it is an ocean away and does not do registration without the vehicle being present. I ended up having a co-worker do registration for me until I sold it after the job was over. Good luck..the system is a joke in GA

Old 12-04-2011, 03:29 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,708,686 times
Yea, its due to the new law in GA. If your name doesn't match your SSI information, it won't go through at all.

I would say contact your local rep and contact CBS46 or 11Alive.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:59 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,988 times
First of all, this is a problem with Social Security and not with Georgia DDS. I know you visited the office in Texas but it would be beneficial to visit a local Georgia office. Given that this is caused by a requirement made by the state of Georgia I am confident that the local SSA office has seen it before and may already know what can be done to remedy it. Having been to a local office before, I should warn you that the wait time can be lengthy. Bring everything with you: birth certificate or passport, letter from DDS, social security card.

Second, if you get no satisfaction from the local SSA office, go back to the Georgia DDS and ask if there is any other form of identification that you can provide to remedy the situation (certified birth certificate, passport, etc.) According to the DDS website:

Quote:
Many times an error in personal information can be corrected by having the customer present the proper verifiable information such as an original certified birth certificate. As more complex issues may require more time to resolve, the DDS will grant extensions.
I don't know if this section is referring only to discrepancies caused by the applicant, or if it would extend to problems caused by the SSA. But it is worth asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta