U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2011, 07:23 PM

10 posts, read 29,193 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to the Atlanta area in about a year and prefer the suburbs. We are African-American have 2 sons 9 and 14. We have always lived in neighborhoods that are racially diverse (PA, and currently Miami, FL)I have looked online and found great looking homes but the demographics indicate the neighborhood/schools are predominatly black. Can anyone reccommend neighborhoods that meet this criteria? It would be helpful to us when driving around and looking at neighborhoods. I know this is a touchy issue when working with realtors. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 07:46 PM

8,311 posts, read 10,262,748 times
It's not just a touchy issues, realtors will not touch it all. They can be sued for answering those questions.

When you say diversity, are you just referring to black and white, or would you like a mix of a variety of cultures?

Gwinnett county, particularly areas of Duluth and Suwanee, are known for having diverse populations that include white, black, Asian, Indian, and a hodge podge of other cultures. The Asian population is also very strong in Johns Creek, but I'm not sure if they also have Hispanic, Indian, and the other cultures you find on the Gwinnett side.

The good news is that no matter where you go, you're likely to find a decent mix of white and black...except maybe East Cobb, I don't know what it's like over there.

Probably the easiest thing to do is check out Georgia's public school page. Look at the demographics for high schools in the area here: Georgia Department of Education (http://www.doe.k12.ga.us/ReportingFW.aspx?PageReq=102&StateId=ALL&T=1 - broken link) Just go to report card, then you will see a link for demographic information.

For example, Duluth high school is 22% Asian, 20% black, 26% Hispanic, 26% white, and 4% multiracial. Peachtree Ridge is 25% Asian, 22% black, 11% Hispanic, 39% whtie, and 2% multiracial.

I'm guessing these are the types of numbers you are looking for. Be careful, a lot of people on this board lke to tell you schools are "diverse" when what they really mean is they are 98% black. Sounds like that's not the environment you are looking for, and I applaud you for that. Citizens of the future world are going to have to understand how to relate to people from a wide variety of backgrounds and cultures, so exposing them to diversity at an early age is a great headstart. The great thing about Atlanta is there are a bunch of diverse schools that are also very good!

Old 12-04-2011, 08:19 PM

13,574 posts, read 22,026,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It's not just a touchy issues, realtors will not touch it all. They can be sued for answering those questions.

When you say diversity, are you just referring to black and white, or would you like a mix of a variety of cultures?

Gwinnett county, particularly areas of Duluth and Suwanee, are known for having diverse populations that include white, black, Asian, Indian, and a hodge podge of other cultures. The Asian population is also very strong in Johns Creek, but I'm not sure if they also have Hispanic, Indian, and the other cultures you find on the Gwinnett side.

The good news is that no matter where you go, you're likely to find a decent mix of white and black...except maybe East Cobb, I don't know what it's like over there.

Probably the easiest thing to do is check out Georgia's public school page. Look at the demographics for high schools in the area here: Georgia Department of Education (http://www.doe.k12.ga.us/ReportingFW.aspx?PageReq=102&StateId=ALL&T=1 - broken link) Just go to report card, then you will see a link for demographic information.

For example, Duluth high school is 22% Asian, 20% black, 26% Hispanic, 26% white, and 4% multiracial. Peachtree Ridge is 25% Asian, 22% black, 11% Hispanic, 39% whtie, and 2% multiracial.

I'm guessing these are the types of numbers you are looking for. Be careful, a lot of people on this board lke to tell you schools are "diverse" when what they really mean is they are 98% black. Sounds like that's not the environment you are looking for, and I applaud you for that. Citizens of the future world are going to have to understand how to relate to people from a wide variety of backgrounds and cultures, so exposing them to diversity at an early age is a great headstart. The great thing about Atlanta is there are a bunch of diverse schools that are also very good!

ATLJL has given you good advice.

I recommend the following areas:

1. Duluth and Suwanee--The Peachtree Ridge Cluster and The Duluth High Cluster

2. The Smyrna/Mableton area--particularly in the Nickajack Elementary School district.

3. East Cobb--The Sprayberry High District, The Wheeler High District, and The Kell High District.

4. North Cobb--The North Cobb High District

5. West Cobb--The Hillgrove High District

6. Southern Gwinnett--The Parkview Cluster, The Grayson Cluster, and The Brookwood Cluster

7. Northern Gwinnett and Western Gwinnett are also becoming fairly diverse--look in The Collins Hill Cluster, The Mountain View Cluster, The Mill Creek Cluster, and The Dacula Cluster

8. Northern Fayette--The Sandy Creek Cluster and the...

Wait...before I continue...what minimal/maximum percentages do you desire (racial/ethnic groups)? The reason I am asking is because many, many parts of Metro Atlanta are diverse...there are just varying degrees. Also, where will you be working? In which part of the metro area are you interested? What is your housing price range? Make this clear and posters here (including myself) can give you more targeted recommendations.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:41 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,020,459 times
Quote:

The Asian population is also very strong in Johns Creek, but I'm not sure if they also have Hispanic, Indian, and the other cultures you find on the Gwinnett side.
Indians and even Pakistani's are considered Asian, I didn't know this either until my Indian/Paki co-workers pointed it out. Thought of them as 'Middle Eastern' but that's not technically a classification.

One lives in Sprayberry, One lives in North Cobb, One lives in Perimeter, one lives in Johns Creeks.

Born and raised in the North Cobb district and went to Georgia Tech, work downtown. If you want ethnic, stick to the I-85 corridor, if you just want some White kids to play with then North Cobb/Sprayberry districts are fine. Hispanics, look towards South Cobb, Indians are in Alpharetta, Perimeter has a bit of everything

Last edited by gt6974a; 12-04-2011 at 11:50 PM..

Old 12-05-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the quick response and information. That is the type of diversity we are looking for. 98% black is not diverse. I will check that website as well as these areas during our next trip. I was contacted by a recruiter in Cobb County so I was glad that it was on your list.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
ATLJL has given you good advice.

I recommend the following areas:

2. The Smyrna/Mableton area--particularly in the Nickajack Elementary School district.

3. East Cobb--The Sprayberry High District, The Wheeler High District, and The Kell High District.

5. West Cobb--The Hillgrove High District

6. Southern Gwinnett--The Parkview Cluster, The Grayson Cluster, and The Brookwood Cluster

7. Northern Gwinnett and Western Gwinnett are also becoming fairly diverse--look in The Collins Hill Cluster, The Mountain View Cluster, The Mill Creek Cluster, and The Dacula Cluster

8. Northern Fayette--The Sandy Creek Cluster and the...

Wait...before I continue...what minimal/maximum percentages do you desire (racial/ethnic groups)? The reason I am asking is because many, many parts of Metro Atlanta are diverse...there are just varying degrees. Also, where will you be working? In which part of the metro area are you interested? What is your housing price range? Make this clear and posters here (including myself) can give you more targeted recommendations.
Thanks for responding. In some areas the school demograhic is 90% black. That is not diverse at all At least 25-30%? I dont want my kids to be the only minority in the school either. We would possibly be in Cobb County but its not definite. I will post all the info regarding work location and housing price range as we get closer to relocation. At least on our next visit we can explore these neighborhoods.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:05 PM

13,574 posts, read 22,026,324 times
Based on your criteria...

3. East Cobb--The Sprayberry High District and The Wheeler High District

5. West Cobb--The Hillgrove High District and The McEachern High District

6. Marietta--Marietta City Schools with Marietta High School

7. Southern Gwinnett--The Parkview Cluster, The Grayson Cluster, and The Brookwood Cluster

8. Northern and Eastern Fayette--The Sandy Creek High District and The Fayette County High District

9. Coweta County--The East Coweta High District and The Newnan High District

OK...I could go on...I'm going to stop though. You're still going to need to narrow it down some more by location/which part of the Metro Atlanta Area, and price range. Metro Atlanta is huge and has many middle/upper-middle class areas with Black populations of roughly 20%-60%.

Let us know more...

Old 12-05-2011, 09:12 PM

3 posts, read 15,380 times
Thank You Guys SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Much!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or