Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 03:30 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlephil View Post
Single 23 year old professional with ability to move to Alpharetta next year. Please give ms some reasons why or why not to do it.

I'll tell you what I heard so far. Big spiders. Snakes. Dry hot weather. Expensive AC bills. People will see if you don't go to chuch on Sunday (I'm not religous). Heavy accents. Very high car tab fee's.

That's what I've been told so far. I'm open to the idea but with what I have been told so far, I can't see myself doing it! There has to be some positives! But, if you have more negatives, please share!
i'm typing within walking distance of downtown alpharetta as we speak so this is coming from someone who knows the area.

atlanta is an interesting town because we are "spread out" but not necessarily "suburban" as most people would think of it. we have five major city centers where there are skyscrapers that are miles apart, but in between most of these are significant historic neighbourhoods that date back to the 1800s— this is one reason why atlanta is spread out. we have a lot of historic land covenants that prevent developers from mowing down stuff, especially within the city limits (although it took us a long time to get them enacted!) and we don't like to mow down historic homes.

as for church on sunday, i really wouldn't worry about that. i'm jewish and i feel right at home wearing my yarmulke even as far out as alpharetta. one of the biggest lunch places in alpharetta is owned by a jewish guy named mel (the restaurant unfortunately isn't kosher though), who currently has a chanukah display up.

alpharetta is about as far north as you can get and still retain some sense of being "in the city" as it comes to diversity of religions and cultures and historic homes— but it is still kind of far out. if you're looking for city life, alpharetta probably isn't a good choice. tell me what you're looking for in a neighbourhood and i'll send some info your way.

our accents aren't heavy— most are really pretty neutral here in atlanta, but with a slight southern twang. we speak slower but that's about the only major difference.

we do have a lot of bugs. most of them are pretty entertaining— harmless though. we have some snakes but not much more than anywhere else— we only have 4 poisonous snakes (honestly only 2 up here in atlanta— water moccasin and copperheads) whereas places further west have tons of poisonous snake species.

here are some pictures of atlanta i recently posted in another forum
Spoiler

we have our own "central park". it's called piedmont park:

we have the tallest skyscraper in the US outside of NY and chicago:

we have awesome neighbourhoods.

this is little five points, where you'll find a ton of record stores (vinyl, i mean), crazy stores, head shops, and the occasional zombie parade:

virginia highland, the first carbon neutral neighbourhood in america and home of the yeah! burger:

one of the only cities where orthodox jews can be collard green and barbecue loving southerners:

we have a subway system:

atlanta is covered in trees, even downtown:

the olympics (with a terrorist attack at the same time) happened here, dammit, and we're not gonna let you forget it!

where you can get a horse and carriage ride... between the skyscrapers.

the rich's (macy's now— they got bought out) great tree lighting, the other celebration macy's has on thanksgiving day:

historic homes:

entire parts of the city where all the signs look like this one on buford hwy:

and where you *think* you're in downtown:

you keep driving, the skyscrapers disappear, and then you come upon this:

and you are thoroughly confused. you drive another 5 miles, the skyscrapers disappear again, and you're in a neigbourhood, and all of the sudden you see this:

so then you think "okay, THIS must be downtown." you keep driving, and then you're BACK in another neighbourhood when this looms above you:

"okay! i've finally found it!" you say, in delight. you pull off the side of the road asking where underground atlanta is and people tell you you're not in downtown.

by this time it's four AM and the fog is setting in. so you get back in the car, and drive until you see this:

"shoot, this can't be it." you say. so you keep driving and you realize an hour later that you missed it and now you're in macon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 07:51 AM

163 posts, read 269,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i'm typing within walking distance of downtown alpharetta as we speak so this is coming from someone who knows the area.

atlanta is an interesting town because we are "spread out" but not necessarily "suburban" as most people would think of it. we have five major city centers where there are skyscrapers that are miles apart, but in between most of these are significant historic neighbourhoods that date back to the 1800s— this is one reason why atlanta is spread out. we have a lot of historic land covenants that prevent developers from mowing down stuff, especially within the city limits (although it took us a long time to get them enacted!) and we don't like to mow down historic homes.

as for church on sunday, i really wouldn't worry about that. i'm jewish and i feel right at home wearing my yarmulke even as far out as alpharetta. one of the biggest lunch places in alpharetta is owned by a jewish guy named mel (the restaurant unfortunately isn't kosher though), who currently has a chanukah display up.

alpharetta is about as far north as you can get and still retain some sense of being "in the city" as it comes to diversity of religions and cultures and historic homes— but it is still kind of far out. if you're looking for city life, alpharetta probably isn't a good choice. tell me what you're looking for in a neighbourhood and i'll send some info your way.

our accents aren't heavy— most are really pretty neutral here in atlanta, but with a slight southern twang. we speak slower but that's about the only major difference.

we do have a lot of bugs. most of them are pretty entertaining— harmless though. we have some snakes but not much more than anywhere else— we only have 4 poisonous snakes (honestly only 2 up here in atlanta— water moccasin and copperheads) whereas places further west have tons of poisonous snake species.

here are some pictures of atlanta i recently posted in another forum
Spoiler

we have our own "central park". it's called piedmont park:

we have the tallest skyscraper in the US outside of NY and chicago:

we have awesome neighbourhoods.

this is little five points, where you'll find a ton of record stores (vinyl, i mean), crazy stores, head shops, and the occasional zombie parade:

virginia highland, the first carbon neutral neighbourhood in america and home of the yeah! burger:

one of the only cities where orthodox jews can be collard green and barbecue loving southerners:

we have a subway system:

atlanta is covered in trees, even downtown:

the olympics (with a terrorist attack at the same time) happened here, dammit, and we're not gonna let you forget it!

where you can get a horse and carriage ride... between the skyscrapers.

the rich's (macy's now— they got bought out) great tree lighting, the other celebration macy's has on thanksgiving day:

historic homes:

entire parts of the city where all the signs look like this one on buford hwy:

and where you *think* you're in downtown:

you keep driving, the skyscrapers disappear, and then you come upon this:

and you are thoroughly confused. you drive another 5 miles, the skyscrapers disappear again, and you're in a neigbourhood, and all of the sudden you see this:

so then you think "okay, THIS must be downtown." you keep driving, and then you're BACK in another neighbourhood when this looms above you:

"okay! i've finally found it!" you say, in delight. you pull off the side of the road asking where underground atlanta is and people tell you you're not in downtown.

by this time it's four AM and the fog is setting in. so you get back in the car, and drive until you see this:

"shoot, this can't be it." you say. so you keep driving and you realize an hour later that you missed it and now you're in macon.
Wow, best post ever? I'll tell you what I like to do and maybe that will help. I'm an outdoors person. I love to walk, ride a bike, hike, and play sports outside. I would like a neighbhorood where I wouldn't necessairly have to drive everywhere. I would also want to be in a co-rec soccer team but age doesn't matter. There has to be a group of people in Atlanta that like soccer right? As far as restaurants and bars, I don't really care. As long as it's a place where I can be fairly active without having to drive and isn't too conservative, I'm in.

Let me know! Thanks a lot.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:06 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,127 times
Quote:
Wow, best post ever? I'll tell you what I like to do and maybe that will help. I'm an outdoors person. I love to walk, ride a bike, hike, and play sports outside. I would like a neighbhorood where I wouldn't necessairly have to drive everywhere. I would also want to be in a co-rec soccer team but age doesn't matter. There has to be a group of people in Atlanta that like soccer right? As far as restaurants and bars, I don't really care. As long as it's a place where I can be fairly active without having to drive and isn't too conservative, I'm in.

Let me know! Thanks a lot.
A couple of my co-workers play for a soccer league at Wolf's Indoor Soccer (Wolf's Indoor Soccer - Links) (G.A.C.S.L. Home Page). Believe it or not, soccer is a big thing down here. The IT director of my company even plays soccer at Wolf's and he raves about how good the men and women are there.

I am an outdoorsy type guy as well and love walking/hiking up and around Stone Mountain (Georgia hiking trail maps: Stone Mountain Park Atlanta). Stone Mountain is located just east of the city in Stone Mountain, GA.

You can bike/walk/hike on the Silver Comet Trail in Cobb. The trail goes all the way to the Alabama State Line (Silver Comet Trail Georgia - Welcome ).

You can visit the plethora of state parks here and around North Georgia --canoe/hike/camp/picnic/etc (Georgia State Parks & Historic Sites). My favorite park to visit is Amicolola Falls State Park (Georgia State Parks - Amicalola Falls State Park and Lodge) which has the tallest Cascade in the Southeast and "An 8.5-mile trail leads from the park to Springer Mountain, the southern end of the famous 2,175-mile Appalachian Trail. Numerous other trails provide shorter day hikes."
You can climb the 300+ steps to the top of the Water Fall as well. The best time to visit is around fall.

You can even go Whitewater rafting in the nearby GA/NC/TN Mountains. The drive is about 2 hours from Atlanta. There is so much more to do here as well.

The liberal areas of Atlanta are ITP (Inside the Perimeter - I-285). Some nice areas ITP include: Virginia Highlands, Inman Park, Candler Park, Grant Park, Decatur, Avondale Estates, Buckhead, Midtown ATL, Downtown ATL, NW ATL, Little Five Points and more.

Last edited by BeyondInfinity; 12-09-2011 at 09:34 AM..

Old 12-09-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
A couple of my co-workers play for a soccer league at Wolf's Indoor Soccer (Wolf's Indoor Soccer - Links) (G.A.C.S.L. Home Page). Believe it or not, soccer is a big thing down here. The IT director of my company even plays soccer at Wolf's and he raves about how good the men and women are there.

I am an outdoorsy type guy as well and love walking/hiking up and around Stone Mountain (Georgia hiking trail maps: Stone Mountain Park Atlanta). Stone Mountain is located just east of the city in Stone Mountain, GA.

You can bike/walk/hike on the Silver Comet Trail in Cobb. The trail goes all the way to the Alabama State Line (Silver Comet Trail Georgia - Welcome ).

You can visit the plethora of state parks here and around North Georgia --canoe/hike/camp/picnic/etc (Georgia State Parks & Historic Sites). My favorite park to visit is Amicolola Falls State Park (Georgia State Parks - Amicalola Falls State Park and Lodge) which has the tallest Cascade in the Southeast and "An 8.5-mile trail leads from the park to Springer Mountain, the southern end of the famous 2,175-mile Appalachian Trail. Numerous other trails provide shorter day hikes."
You can climb the 300+ steps to the top of the Water Fall as well. The best time to visit is around fall.

You can even go Whitewater rafting in the nearby GA/NC/TN Mountains. The drive is about 2 hours from Atlanta. There is so much more to do here as well.
That is amazing. I didn't expect any of that in GA! I'll defintely be printing this thread out.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:41 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
Quote:
Single 23 year old professional with ability to move to Alpharetta next year. Please give ms some reasons why or why not to do it.

I'll tell you what I heard so far. Big spiders. Snakes. Dry hot weather. Expensive AC bills. People will see if you don't go to chuch on Sunday (I'm not religous). Heavy accents. Very high car tab fee's.

That's what I've been told so far. I'm open to the idea but with what I have been told so far, I can't see myself doing it! There has to be some positives! But, if you have more negatives, please share!
For a big city....Atlanta, especially in comparison with a city like Seattle...has almost nothing to do...especially in the area less than a 3 hour drive. Good luck day tripping....in the Seattle area....you can go to Victoria/Vancouver...Portland, Mt. Rainier, the Ocean....in less than 3 hours...around Atlanta? I'm sorry, but Birmingham isn't an appealing option for a day trip..

Again, haters, Atlanta, for a town its size, has little to do....again, for a town its size the key point.
As far as outdoor rec is concerned.....yes, Atlanta and it's areas have some of that.....but, for example, only 2 real lakes and 1 river,.....vs. at least 10 decent size lakes around Seattle (plus Puget Sound)...you could be disappointed.
About the only clear advantage Atlanta has is the Cost of Living is quite a bit cheaper (but not dirt cheap like a place like Des Moines or Buffalo).

Last edited by beenhereandthere; 12-09-2011 at 09:49 AM..

Old 12-09-2011, 09:59 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
For a big city....Atlanta, especially in comparison with a city like Seattle...has almost nothing to do...especially in the area less than a 3 hour drive. Good luck day tripping....in the Seattle area....you can go to Victoria/Vancouver...Portland, Mt. Rainier, the Ocean....in less than 3 hours...around Atlanta? I'm sorry, but Birmingham isn't an appealing option for a day trip..

Again, haters, Atlanta, for a town its size, has little to do....again, for a town its size the key point.
As far as outdoor rec is concerned.....yes, Atlanta and it's areas have some of that.....but, for example, only 2 real lakes and 1 river,.....vs. at least 10 decent size lakes around Seattle (plus Puget Sound)...you could be disappointed.
About the only clear advantage Atlanta has is the Cost of Living is quite a bit cheaper (but not dirt cheap like a place like Des Moines or Buffalo).
This is nothing more than your very misinformed opinion, and quite misleading to someone seeking factual information.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post

Well to be fair, nothing is like Seattle. From where I live right now, I can drive to the ocean in 25 minutes, skiing in 1 Hour and 15 minutes, Canada in 2½ hours, desert in 3 hours, or stay where I am and enjoy the green tree's and grass with views of mountains and the ocean. There are endless things to do in Seattle but you also have to deal with the rain.

I'm coming to a point in my life where I want some change and I'm going into it knowing that Atlanta won't have what Seattle has.. I just want me some sun and something different.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:19 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Quote:
Well to be fair, nothing is like Seattle. From where I live right now, I can drive to the ocean in 25 minutes, skiing in 1 Hour and 15 minutes, Canada in 2½ hours, desert in 3 hours, or stay where I am and enjoy the green tree's and grass with views of mountains and the ocean. There are endless things to do in Seattle but you also have to deal with the rain.

I'm coming to a point in my life where I want some change and I'm going into it knowing that Atlanta won't have what Seattle has.. I just want me some sun and something different.
Yes, no place in the US can exceed Seattle in terms of outdoor options and only a handful can match it.

Atlanta fares quite well in comparison to some other east coast cities, however. We mainly lack great access to beaches, but the beaches that are a long (~5 hour) drive away are fantastic beaches--world class.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:29 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,127 times
Quote:

Well said. I agree because I was born and raised in Atlanta and no matter where I visit (NYC, Canada, L.A, etc.), there is no place like home; however, change is good and I believe if you have the opportunity to live a different area, then do it.

FYI, a lot of people hate on Atlanta because of its success (Olympics, Fast growing area, etc).

Old 12-09-2011, 10:41 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
Well said. I agree because I was born and raised in Atlanta and no matter where I visit (NYC, Canada, L.A, etc.), there is no place like home; however, change is good and I believe if you have the opportunity to live a different area, then do it.

FYI, a lot of people hate on Atlanta because of its success (Olympics, Fast growing area, etc).
My parents live in Alpharetta, I actually like the area.....
don't really care for the Southeast though......
Atlanta is cool.....but if you had Seattle like qualities in Atlanta, you'd probably have 8 million living there....not 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta