U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-15-2011, 03:32 PM

4,385 posts, read 3,947,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The pipe thing is only true of some older houses. Most homes built in the past 30 years or more have the pipes along inside walls where freezing is a nonissue, though you may want to turn off any outdoor spigots (using the valve on the inside of the house) and drain them.
I wish this was true! My house had a pipe freeze last winter. I had winterized the pipes and turned off the water to the spigot and opened up the outside spigot just like I'm supposed to.

The problem is, my garage sort of sticks out a little bit from the rest of the house for 6 feet or so, and the pipe runs through this portion of the wall. Apparently, builders are not required to insulate walls when they do not border on living space, so this portion of the wall had no insulation and the pipe contracted and expanded enough to break. There was no water in it, but when I turned the water back on in the spring, it came gushing out.

Don't think frozen pipes can't happen to you.

Incidentally, I have since blown insulation into that wall and it was super easy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 04:55 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,641,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I wish this was true! My house had a pipe freeze last winter. I had winterized the pipes and turned off the water to the spigot and opened up the outside spigot just like I'm supposed to.

The problem is, my garage sort of sticks out a little bit from the rest of the house for 6 feet or so, and the pipe runs through this portion of the wall. Apparently, builders are not required to insulate walls when they do not border on living space, so this portion of the wall had no insulation and the pipe contracted and expanded enough to break. There was no water in it, but when I turned the water back on in the spring, it came gushing out.

Don't think frozen pipes can't happen to you.

Incidentally, I have since blown insulation into that wall and it was super easy.
Wow. I sit corrected. Welcome to Georgia, and its apparently horrible building codes. :-(

FWIW, I had never heard of someone's pipes freezing in winter in 40 years of living in Minnesota except for a few cases of seasonal cabins where folks forgot to winterize. But in our first rental house here, the landlord had us drip the downstairs sink faucet because the walk-out basement was both completely uninsulated and unheated. I was taken by surprise that anyone would have to do that when the weather was in the high teens. We had weather 40 degrees colder up there.

*shakes head*

Old 12-27-2011, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,286 times
great city to raise family...

lived there 15 years and worked in downtown (right across from turner building)...

Housing: Single Family Home - 100% recommend - Smyrna/ Vinings - South Cobb Exit (17 minutes to downtown and not much traffic compare to Alpheretta/Buckhead etc.)

Children: Public School (Though he's currently 4) - Best Public schools in Marietta but Smyrna/Vinings have great choices as well

trust me on this, still have my house in smyrna... go there and take a look... better traffic, great quality of living, perfect housing opportunities for your buck

Old 12-27-2011, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,286 times
5800 Oakdale Road, Mableton, GA 30126

you will find lots of brand new townhouses and single family houses on oakdale road...

Old 12-27-2011, 09:04 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,423,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA_2_ATL View Post
Hello Everyone,
I'm 35, married, and with a 4 year old boy. My wife and I were born and raised in Miami. We love Miami's Sun, beaches, food, diversity and entertainment. However, we now have a kid (How things change).....and dislike the over crowded public school systems, over inflated housing prices and let alone the aggressive/violent/self-entitled attitude and feel it's not a place for us to raise our kid/s. I most probably will be working in Atlanta (Turner/CNN) and my schedule will most probably be 10am-7pm. We're looking for a young family environment, movies, restaurants, outdoorsy, non hostile, friendly attitude where people say hello and smile and not "what the F' are you looking at?" I've done some research and I'm caught between Roswell, Marietta and Alpharetta. Maybe you could confirm this or suggest something I don't know of...

Here goes the info...

Budget: Renting $1350-1500 month

Housing: Single Family Home

Employment Status: Prob. Working @ CNN

Children: Public School (Though he's currently 4)

Suburban or Burban Lifestyle: Suburban

Easy access to public transit: Not important

Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood: We're White Hispanic

Airport access, important or not: Not really.

Traffic: I'd prob be working 10am-7pm

Thanks in advance.

Told many folks South Florida is a hell hole. This just confirms it a bit more. Alpharetta and Roswell/North Fulton are fine. You can't go wrong with any of the schools and you won't deal with 3 generations lving in the same zero lot line home any longer either.....the schools are not nearly as crowded but, they do have their fair share of students. No matter, you will be much happier here.

And, last but certainly not least, you will be much much much safer here than anywhere in Dade or Broward Counties. Most people actually do have insurance but, carry uninsured motorist protection anyway. Housing is quite soft and you should do very, very well if you do your homework.

The job to Turner is not that bad. Probably 50 mins to an hour each way in most rush hours. No worse than going down the Pametto/cockroach highway or the Dolphin or I-95 at rush hour...about the same...just less shootings.

Your biggest adjustment will be the openly friendly environment, safer neighborhoods and a much cooler winter than you are used to. You will enjoy a yard in all likelihood much larger than the one you probably have right now and the recreation will be as good if you know how to take advantage of it. You will miss the ocean, sorry, can't help you there short of a 5 hour drive and then, the water will be sandy brown for the most part.....

Learn to enjoy the mountains to the North, the Lakes surrounding us and a relatively peaceful and safe life in a major metro. Congratulations, you are leaving the armpit of America. No longer need to flip people off over a parking spot.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:25 AM

4 posts, read 3,007 times
Thank you all, for your responses..your information has been incredibly helpful.
We just got back from a trip to Georgia, we drove around Alpharetta, Marietta, and Roswell and we even saw some properties with a realtor in all three areas and we were really not impressed.

However, we went to Buford and fell in love with the city. I know it's 37 miles away from the Atlanta/CNN, but it seems well worth the trip. The houses are huge and in-expense (to Miami standards), great people, excellent schools, Malls near by...it seems absolutely beautiful. Is there anything negative we should know about Buford? Thanks again for your help guys..

Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 564 times
I am a born and raised miami girl that is looking foward to moving out of the state. I've been doing research on canton area( which I know from previous post that if you work in downtown ATL would not be desirable area to live because of commute times). I am looking into moving over there under two years and possibly getting a teaching job. I've read that Cherokee county school system is very good and pays decent. Would love for some input on the best area to live in Canton or any other area. Thanks

Old 07-11-2012, 03:21 PM

22 posts, read 39,465 times
H, we may move to Georgia. How did you make out? Lauren from New York currently in South Carolina.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:23 PM

8 posts, read 7,337 times
I had this long post written talking about how we were in your shoes last year moving from Miami blah blah blah and then I noticed it's a 7 month old thread that's been resurrected. Anyways, hope your move went well.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:47 AM

4 posts, read 3,007 times
@ adrian74
The move went excellent. I drove up here from Miami on a 26 ft Penske truck (U-haul was a bit cheaper but i had read many bad reviews for long trips) 14 hour drive. I couldn't go to fast on that truck.
When I arrived, it was surreal, the kids from the neighborhood came around and wanted to see if there was a new kid moving in because there were toys being brought down...Some neighbors came and introduced themselves. a short time later someone from the HOA came and dropped off a cake as a welcome to the neighborhood...Friends of friends showed up to help me bring down things from the truck..I was done unloading in 1hr.

The neighborhood is great it's called Hamilton Mill (Buford) and everything is close by yet far away. Meaning I have the mall of Georgia near by but I don't feel the traffic influx or the noise...everything I need is here.

I work in the city and I have a great schedule, I go in @ 11am so traffic is not as congested at that time, nor when I leave at 7pm. There are some days when I get to leave early and i have been stuck in traffic for an hour and a half. But now I have the peach-pass and that helps me out millions!

I already enrolled my son in school and looking forward to that now in August. He'll be starting Kindergarden. I thought the move would take a toll on him, but luckily for us, he's acclimated well. he loves it here he says. huge running room, Skate park near by, swimming pool near by theater, etc, etc... People here are definitely kinder and friendlier than Miami, everyone says hello or acknowledges you... We've been to Buford Hwy Farmers market and it's the best for us to be able to obtain foods from Miami...Yet I'm still on a quest to find authentic Cuban bread and pastries...

I hope this info helps someone. For me and my family, it's been some adjusting yet still the best move I could ever make. :]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta