U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-13-2011, 09:51 PM

15,008 posts, read 9,783,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Well vote Ron Paul.
The Republicans think they have certain groups in their back pocket, just like the Democrats.

Ron Paul will probably surprise some people.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 12:28 AM

67 posts, read 76,676 times
This transportation tax has almost everything to do with race. I am a white Atlanta native, now living in the suburbs, who will admit that the opposition to the transportation tax mainly has to do with race.

I feel as if Atlanta has long tried to compare itself to the ranks of cities such as New York City and Los Angeles. I have heard people call us the New York of the South or the Black Hollywood. That has always baffled me because Atlanta seems to be missing a lot of the things that that those places have, including mass transit.

I guess mass transit makes up a pretty sizeable chunk of the project funding to be voted on metro Atlantans next year. As far as MARTA has existed suburban people have seemed to have an aversion toward service coming in their community. The idea that people would use transit to come up from Atlanta to the suburbs, break into their homes, and then hop back on MARTA has been an issue with people. I think this line of think is pretty crazy.

As far as I know MARTA receives next to no money from the state and basically runs on vapors. I remember hearing the budget shortfall for MARTA was so extreme that there was actually a proposal to end MARTA on a weekday. To me the fact that the state is so disinterested in investing money into the biggest city's transit network shows that racism is still alive here in Georgia. Something like 80 or 85 percent of MARTA users are black and the state seems to have no interest in putting money to continue MARTA service. My question is this. How can Atlanta be compared to New York or Los Angeles when we can't even have decent transit?

Our roads are widened to disguting levels. I have seen many other cities across the country but have yet to see a city, other than Los Angeles, with roads as wide as ours. That portion of 75 North outside of the Perimeter is something like 8 or 9 lanes on each side. There would be no need for that if there was a transit alternative.

We need to get away from the good ole boy network that I grew up with here in Georgia and start investing in some other transprotation solutions. Our traffic is terrible, our roads are so wide that they are unsafe, and our quality of life is being diminished from the air qualify effects from transportation.

I will be voting Yes on the transportation referendum. If we are going to be taken seriously as a major city we need to act like one. Widening 85 to 15 lanes on each side isn't the answer. Give people some other choices.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:22 AM

864 posts, read 400,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl85 View Post
This transportation tax has almost everything to do with race. I am a white Atlanta native, now living in the suburbs, who will admit that the opposition to the transportation tax mainly has to do with race.

I feel as if Atlanta has long tried to compare itself to the ranks of cities such as New York City and Los Angeles. I have heard people call us the New York of the South or the Black Hollywood. That has always baffled me because Atlanta seems to be missing a lot of the things that that those places have, including mass transit.

I guess mass transit makes up a pretty sizeable chunk of the project funding to be voted on metro Atlantans next year. As far as MARTA has existed suburban people have seemed to have an aversion toward service coming in their community. The idea that people would use transit to come up from Atlanta to the suburbs, break into their homes, and then hop back on MARTA has been an issue with people. I think this line of think is pretty crazy.

As far as I know MARTA receives next to no money from the state and basically runs on vapors. I remember hearing the budget shortfall for MARTA was so extreme that there was actually a proposal to end MARTA on a weekday. To me the fact that the state is so disinterested in investing money into the biggest city's transit network shows that racism is still alive here in Georgia. Something like 80 or 85 percent of MARTA users are black and the state seems to have no interest in putting money to continue MARTA service. My question is this. How can Atlanta be compared to New York or Los Angeles when we can't even have decent transit?

Our roads are widened to disguting levels. I have seen many other cities across the country but have yet to see a city, other than Los Angeles, with roads as wide as ours. That portion of 75 North outside of the Perimeter is something like 8 or 9 lanes on each side. There would be no need for that if there was a transit alternative.

We need to get away from the good ole boy network that I grew up with here in Georgia and start investing in some other transprotation solutions. Our traffic is terrible, our roads are so wide that they are unsafe, and our quality of life is being diminished from the air qualify effects from transportation.

I will be voting Yes on the transportation referendum. If we are going to be taken seriously as a major city we need to act like one. Widening 85 to 15 lanes on each side isn't the answer. Give people some other choices.

Something about this post. Do you actually think LA has better transit then Atlanta?

I am also pretty sure Houston has wider or as wide roads. Most of our road especially in town are pretty tight.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:06 AM

7,738 posts, read 10,014,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl85 View Post
Of course it does. Everything is racial, right?

Sorry, but that's just BS. You can certainly speak for your own opinion, but please don't extrapolate that to anyone else. It has absolutely, positively nothing to do with race for me. Zero....nada. I can't be any more clear about my own opinions and have been, so if you want to say something as ridiculous as what you stated, then go ahead, but you'd be 100% wrong in my case, and I feel in many others as well.

BTW...we do have black people and Hispanic people here in the suburbs too. Just a little secret I wanted you to be in on.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:07 AM

714 posts, read 363,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
If wealthy professionals support the tea party then why do we not see them at the demonstrations and supporting people like this Stanton woman.

Also why isn't the Tea Party/anti public transport lobby strongest in higher earning cities/states?

Out of interest when at Oxford did you take their evil communist public transport? Hear any of your fellow students complaining about their free healthcare or their terrible European lifestyle longing to come to GA so they could pay less tax and drive everywhere?

The reason I think you jest is successfull people who really earn a lot of money don't have time or reason to join up or support the Tea Party. Taxes were much higher years ago and successful people will always be successful whether paying 30% or 50% tax or living in GA, NYC or Paris for that matter.

People who would rather blame taxes, Obama or "liberals" for everthing going wrong in their own lives are really looking for an excuse for their own lack of success............ a 5% tax delta either way (let alone a 1% transport tax) isn't gonna make a tea party member rich however much Glen Beck may say it will
My guess is you dont spend much time with wealthy white folk?

Wealthy people didnt get that way because "they dont care about money". Quite the opposite. They care a lot about how their money is spent, including taxes. In fact some of the wealthiest people are also some of the cheapest. Mitt Romney is famously frugal, for example.

Whos blaming Obama for everything going wrong in their own lives? Tea Partiers take responsibility for themsevles. Obama is dragging down the country overall. You have seen his poll numbers, right?

There are plenty of wealthy liberals in the northeast. No secret. The Northeast, and their unions, are declining in power and prominence.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:28 AM
JPD

7,934 posts, read 8,219,056 times
Quote:
Wealthy people didnt get that way because "they dont care about money". Quite the opposite. They care a lot about how their money is spent, including taxes. In fact some of the wealthiest people are also some of the cheapest. Mitt Romney is famously frugal, for example.
That's true. Anyone who has waited tables knows how cheap rich people can be when it comes time to leave a tip.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:41 AM

7,738 posts, read 10,014,918 times
Quote:

Whos blaming Obama for everything going wrong in their own lives? Tea Partiers take responsibility for themsevles. Obama is dragging down the country overall. You have seen his poll numbers, right?

There are plenty of wealthy liberals in the northeast. No secret. The Northeast, and their unions, are declining in power and prominence.
I think what you said is mostly correct. A lot of it stems from paying closer attention when it's your money. I think educated and affluent people generally are more informed and better at money management overall.

As far as tipping goes, I'm not rich, but I tip very well when deserved (18% to 25%). When not deserved or when service is mediocre, then my scale starts at 0% and goes up to 15%. A tip is optional and should only be given when earned.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:33 AM

714 posts, read 363,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
That's true. Anyone who has waited tables knows how cheap rich people can be when it comes time to leave a tip.
I've never waited tables but have a sibling who has. He talked frequently how all the wait staff avoided certain customer types because they rarely tipped, or were notoriously poor tippers. Hint: it wasn't the rich folk.....

Old 12-14-2011, 12:12 PM

397 posts, read 383,962 times
Quote:

Actually incorrect, I am white and work in a very high paid industry. Facts are I go out with wealthy clients on average twice a week for years and not once have I heard anyone do anything other than ridicule the Tea Party. I would be shocked if anyone would do anything other than distance themselves from this tea party anti transport womans ignorant point of view.

I didn't say wealthy people dont care about money, I said they are not too concerned about a few % in taxes either way if impoves the environment they live in. For example in a recent survey at my gym (in Buckhead) the number 1 issue people had was lack a safe walkable streets outside and number 2 was traffic polution.

If the tea party anti transport position is so popular with the wealthy and educated why don't they hold a fundraiser at the High or Emory as opposed to some shack in west cobb or forsyth?

Old 12-14-2011, 12:15 PM

397 posts, read 383,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Of course it does. Everything is racial, right?

Sorry, but that's just BS. You can certainly speak for your own opinion, but please don't extrapolate that to anyone else. It has absolutely, positively nothing to do with race for me. Zero....nada. I can't be any more clear about my own opinions and have been, so if you want to say something as ridiculous as what you stated, then go ahead, but you'd be 100% wrong in my case, and I feel in many others as well.

BTW...we do have black people and Hispanic people here in the suburbs too. Just a little secret I wanted you to be in on.
I would guess it is racial with a proportion of voters in the outer suburbs. Not you or anyone specifically but I am sure some do still have this mindset. I mean it was only a few weeks ago that some sherriff was spouting off about public transport bringing crime to west cobb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta