Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 11:35 AM

169 posts, read 433,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Point One: The Tea Party is not going away. If anything its growing.
Point Two: The USA's Number One CORE PRINCIPLE at founding was the supremacy of the individual. Not the supremacy of the government, or (forced) collectivism. The individual is KING here in the US (or supposed to be)
Point Three: Tea Party-ists do not believe in NO govt, just much less govt.
Point Four: If a project makes economic sense, a private sector contractor can do it more efficiently and with better quality.
Point Five: Europe experimented with expansive social programs and installing huge govts as citizen caretakers. Guess what? It worked gloriously - until it didnt. Now Europe is on the verge of complete collapse, and is our canary in the coal mine.
Point Six: Is everyone on board with the USA bailing them out (via the IMF) so Greek hairstylists can retire at age 52 with generous pension and free healthcare for the rest of their lives?
Point Seven: Any and all govt sponsored programs, excluding a few basics such as national defense and certain law enforcement, should be financially viable within their own communities. Aint NOTHING free in this world, really.
Point Eight: The coming "great unwind" may prove painful. For everyone.
Point Nine: More govt spending and debt merely prolongs and magnfies the ultimate reckoning.
Point Ten: Im ready for it. Are you?
Ok. Here is the point, you have to get transportation to and from your house in some manner, correct? You are either going to have the goverment build roads and slap on all the taxes, fees, licenses ect for you to use them. Or you can buy a pass on a system that allows everyone access to transpiration without the high entry cost of a vehicle. We can't have toll roads everywhere and privatize it? Government *must* build and maintain some road ways. Like it or not it's a reality.

Ironically enough, folks living in more dense cities can get make goverment *cheeper* then providng the same services in the suburbs. In a city, let's even assume East Atlanta inner suburbs around Glenwood Road, or anywhere inside of 285 by a mile or two. Houses in these suburbs are generally on small lots. The goverment or some entitity will have to maintain the water, power, sewer and roads to and from these houses. This cost is the same for houses built in the suburbs, but you have more people per sq mile to fund upkeep and repairs. Guess which is more economical?

We can't all demand a ribbon of asphalt to our house and want the goverment to pay for it, but then hide behind the smaller goverment cloak at the same time. Building a road is one of the most goverment involved, study laden projects there are. Yet, many Tea Parties are buying the false argument that its freedom, when there is just as much, if not more goverment involved in building and maintaining the road system.

Sure you can get in your car when ever and go where you want, but in the city, most area where Marta is accessible I can do the same. As the system grows, I gain more freedom of mobility since I don't have to fight traffic everywhere in this city. But you know what the great thing is I still can choose to have a vehicle for other times Marta isn't convent, however, I don't demand that everyone use a car all the time and think folks should be able to choose a different method of transpiration that suits their needs and wants, not just mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 11:44 AM

714 posts, read 813,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
1. The U.S. bailing out the Eurozone is a very good thing for the dollar(makes them dependent on it). I don't think you researched this thoroughly.

2. You can either pay for this transportation tax or you can pay for higher gas prices. Might as well have a choice when gas eventually gets more expensive, no matter how much of a individual you are.
1. No No and No. Printing money makes the dollar weaker and piles more debt on the US taxpayer that must be paid back through higher taxes. Its an utterly absurd notion that a US bail out of Europe's failed social policies is somehow "very good" for the dollar. In fact, YET ANOTHER govt bail out, by either Europe or the US, is ultimately "very bad" for everyone, as it kicks the can down the road to what can only be a very disruptive reckoning.

And I mean, dependent on the dollar how? Are we dependent on the Chinese huan? I dont think you have any idea of what you are talking about.

2. If the free markets determine the price of gas should rise precipitously, let free market capitalists step in with a solution and profit for a bit. Soon enough competition would step in and build much better solutionS (plural) than anything govt could ever create.

For someone who claims adherence to Ron Paul and Peter Schiff and the like, your personal views are very, very strange indeed. Really, you seem to talk one thing but actually support very different ideas when put to the test.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:46 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Hm, I don't follow all that. I'm also for less government and am opposed to "social programs" that waste money and aren't sustainable.

Massive infrastructure projects like water and transportation are in a different category. If society as a whole doesn't make a commitment to infrastructure it won't get done.

If there's somebody out there in the private sector who's got the means to get this done faster and cheaper, bring it on, baby! However, I'm never heard a peep about it.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:09 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,177 times
Quote:
Point One: The Tea Party is not going away. If anything its growing.
Point Two: The USA's Number One CORE PRINCIPLE at founding was the supremacy of the individual. Not the supremacy of the government, or (forced) collectivism. The individual is KING here in the US (or supposed to be)
Point Three: Tea Party-ists do not believe in NO govt, just much less govt.
Point Four: If a project makes economic sense, a private sector contractor can do it more efficiently and with better quality.
Point Five: Europe experimented with expansive social programs and installing huge govts as citizen caretakers. Guess what? It worked gloriously - until it didnt. Now Europe is on the verge of complete collapse, and is our canary in the coal mine.
Point Six: Is everyone on board with the USA bailing them out (via the IMF) so Greek hairstylists can retire at age 52 with generous pension and free healthcare for the rest of their lives?
Point Seven: Any and all govt sponsored programs, excluding a few basics such as national defense and certain law enforcement, should be financially viable within their own communities. Aint NOTHING free in this world, really.
Point Eight: The coming "great unwind" may prove painful. For everyone.
Point Nine: More govt spending and debt merely prolongs and magnfies the ultimate reckoning.
So you regurgitated the talk-radiot/tea-party talking points...Yippeee doo daa..I understand what the tea-tards want, and as America understands it more and more they too are finding the tea-people revolting.

It is not getting stronger. They may be getting stronger in terms of funding, after all the whole tea-party thing is sponsered by the anti-American billionaires Koch brothers. But as far as American support...uh no that would be a big FAIL!

The tea-party and their supporters are becoming more and more marginalized from mainstream society with every thing they do. The more and more the tea party is exposed...basically the more they speak the truth about their views and the more their candidates/heros skeletons are exposed the more mainstream America is realizing they are as big of a fraud as all the other politicians, just frauds with much more venom and vicious hatred towards anyone not 110% in lockstep with what the Koch Brothers tell them to believe.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:41 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
This idea that the private sector can do EVERYTHING better than the government is one part entertaining and another part frustrating.

Sure, there are a lot of things the private sector does better. I would even agree we probably don't need a national mail system anymore.

But it's absurd to think the private sector could cover widespread national interests. For one, if they could, then what would stop a private company that large, with those resources, accountable to no one, from staging a takeover of the country, placing it under a dictatorship?

I work at CDC and I can see first hand that the private sector could never accomplish what CDC accomplishes. I think other national infrastructure agencies (Defense, Transportation, Health, and Education) are similar.

Personally, I think a public-private model is the way to go. And, that's exactly what America has. And it works.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
This idea that the private sector can do EVERYTHING better than the government is one part entertaining and another part frustrating.

Sure, there are a lot of things the private sector does better. I would even agree we probably don't need a national mail system anymore.

But it's absurd to think the private sector could cover widespread national interests. For one, if they could, then what would stop a private company that large, with those resources, accountable to no one, from staging a takeover of the country, placing it under a dictatorship?

I work at CDC and I can see first hand that the private sector could never accomplish what CDC accomplishes. I think other national infrastructure agencies (Defense, Transportation, Health, and Education) are similar.

Personally, I think a public-private model is the way to go. And, that's exactly what America has. And it works.
AMEN! The far-left want us to worship at the alter of government which is bad and dangerous...The far-right & tea-party want us to worship at the alter of the corporation, or their code word 'Free-market', which is bad and dangerous.
Meanwhile the REST of us, the other 70%, want a sensible mixture of the two.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
So you regurgitated the talk-radiot/tea-party talking points...Yippeee doo daa..I understand what the tea-tards want, and as America understands it more and more they too are finding the tea-people revolting. .
FAIL! Sure, the 50% of America that pays no income tax and lives off govt largesse, of course they are against the tea party. That is assurred and totally expected. Parasites and leeches hate those who try and take away their suckling host.

Quote:

It is not getting stronger. They may be getting stronger in terms of funding, after all the whole tea-party thing is sponsered by the anti-American billionaires Koch brothers. But as far as American support...uh no that would be a big FAIL! .
Again, those looking for handouts, freebies and a teat to suckle are of course anti-tea party. Independent, entrepreneurial and self-sutataining Americans are very pro tea party.

Quote:
The tea-party and their supporters are becoming more and more marginalized from mainstream society with every thing they do. The more and more the tea party is exposed...basically the more they speak the truth about their views and the more their candidates/heros skeletons are exposed the more mainstream America is realizing they are as big of a fraud as all the other politicians, just frauds with much more venom and vicious hatred towards anyone not 110% in lockstep with what the Koch Brothers tell them to believe.
Hardly hardly hardly. It is the OWS-ers that are becoming increasingly shrill, radical and extreme. They are the true nuts.

Ron Paul is hardly considered a fraud, and he receives strong tea party support. You sound pretty venemous and vicious yourself, there, hoss. Perhaps introspection is a good next step for you and your therapist.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
FAIL! Sure, the 50% of America that pays no income tax and lives off govt largesse, of course they are against the tea party. That is assurred and totally expected. Parasites and leeches hate those who try and take away their suckling host.

Again, those looking for handouts, freebies and a teat to suckle are of course anti-tea party. Independent, entrepreneurial and self-sutataining Americans are very pro tea party.

Hardly hardly hardly. It is the OWS-ers that are becoming increasingly shrill, radical and extreme. They are the true nuts.

Ron Paul is hardly considered a fraud, and he receives strong tea party support. You sound pretty venemous and vicious yourself, there, hoss. Perhaps introspection is a good next step for you and your therapist.

Ah ok more tea-tard nonsense...Only people who want freebies, to be dependant on the gov't for everything, and don't work hard are against the tea-party....ROFLMAO...You people are truely delusional

Old 12-11-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Ah ok more tea-tard nonsense...Only people who want freebies, to be dependant on the gov't for everything, and don't work hard are against the tea-party....ROFLMAO...You people are truely delusional
You can include liberal pro union types too in the anti tea party crowd. Nothing tea party hates more than unions, especially public ones. Let me guess your affiliation......

Old 12-11-2011, 01:49 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
Triangle Shirtwaist Factory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta