U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Most common trees in the neighborhood
Deciduous (Oak, Hickory, Poplar, Dogwood, Sassafrass, Birch) 18 54.55%
Pine (Loblolly) 3 9.09%
Trees? My neighborhood has twigs after it was clear-cut 0 0%
Half & Half 12 36.36%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 07:58 AM

2,397 posts, read 2,073,070 times

Advertisements

Given that metro Atlanta has some areas where pines seem to be the majority of trees, and other areas where you'd be surprised to see more than a few pines, I think it is in order to ask Atlanta forumers what their neighborhoods mostly consist of, in terms of trees.

If you could mention deciduous or pine, followed by the type of deciduous, if you happen to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 08:46 AM

2,586 posts, read 6,600,331 times
Mostly pine in the back and oak on the sides and front. Darn leaves!!!!

Old 12-10-2011, 11:20 AM

7,627 posts, read 9,095,425 times
All the houses in our neighborhood back up to woods, and the woods have loads of pines. The builders did a good job of leaving some of the larger deciduous specimens, oaks, hickory,pears and magnolias.
Most people have landscaped with maples, crepe myrtles, cherry trees, bald cypress, holly and birches.

A little bit of everything around here.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:27 AM

2,397 posts, read 2,073,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
All the houses in our neighborhood back up to woods, and the woods have loads of pines. The builders did a good job of leaving some of the larger deciduous specimens, oaks, hickory,pears and magnolias.
Most people have landscaped with maples, crepe myrtles, cherry trees, bald cypress, holly and birches.

A little bit of everything around here.
In what part of town is this?

I've never known native magnolias to be in high abundance is most areas around here. In fact, it's generally close to zero in most locations.

My neighborhood is mostly deciduous. Pines are an invasive species given the fact that they are gymnosperms. Carried by the wind, pines can come to inhabit any open lot, as long there are only a few pine trees in the area surrounding the lot.

Prior to the rapid development of metro Atlanta, there weren't very many pines in this part of Georgia. One can look at photos from the 1800s and see that it was mostly deciduous, on the order of 95% + compared to today where it's only around 60% deciduous.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:32 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,644,896 times
Pines - mostly backyard but some in front. I have a HUGE one on the side of my yard. I have gone from full sun to mostly shade in the 17 years I have lived in my house.

Dogwoods and Bradford Pears - lots in the front yards

Eastern Redbud - I have seen one in the back. Would love to plant one but not sure I have enough room

Magnolias - both front and back

Redtips - I had three big ones in the back that were planted too close and eventually got too unhealthy.

River Birch - several in front yards

Plum Trees - side and back yards but most have become unhealthy overtime due to not being properly trimed or planted too close to other trees.

Crepe Myrtles - mostly front

Maples (Amercian I think - not Japanese) - front yards

Weeping Willows - there were two beautiful ones in front yards when I first moved in but they are now gone.

I have seen lots of trees removed because they were improperly trimmed over the years or planted too close to another tree or house with no consideration to size when full grown. Many have been lost to drought (weak root systems that could not support the tree).

Old 12-10-2011, 01:54 PM

7,627 posts, read 9,095,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
In what part of town is this?

I've never known native magnolias to be in high abundance is most areas around here. In fact, it's generally close to zero in most locations.

My neighborhood is mostly deciduous. Pines are an invasive species given the fact that they are gymnosperms. Carried by the wind, pines can come to inhabit any open lot, as long there are only a few pine trees in the area surrounding the lot.

Prior to the rapid development of metro Atlanta, there weren't very many pines in this part of Georgia. One can look at photos from the 1800s and see that it was mostly deciduous, on the order of 95% + compared to today where it's only around 60% deciduous.
We are in Milton. You can see magnolias along the road in some spots where there is undeveloped land.

Yeah, about those pines. I am constantly pulling up sprouts out of all our garden beds.

We took down all the pines within striking distance of our house.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:23 PM

1,942 posts, read 2,309,989 times
I have mostly deciduous here in Va Highland, very few pines at all...............

Old 12-10-2011, 02:50 PM

2,642 posts, read 5,328,111 times
I'm in Candler Park, so like brent the neighborhood is mostly deciduous. Though my neighbor behind me has a scrub pine. Several homes have "christmas tree" trees. My own home only has TWO trees, if you can believe that. An 85 year old oak in the front and a young hickory in the back. But, I have very little property so it's actually the right amount of tree. My neighbors, however, have humongous oaks. Scary fall on your house and kill you oaks.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:09 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,108,392 times
I hate pine trees. They are the source of our annual yellow pollen blizzard, they provide little shade in the summer, and they are only pretty when very young.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:54 PM

334 posts, read 386,767 times
About 60% deciduous, 40% pine in my subdivision straddling the DeKalb-Gwinnett County line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta