Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2007, 12:51 PM

8 posts, read 24,098 times

Advertisements

I've officially accepted a job in Atlanta and will be working at Phillips Arena, 4-5 nights a week I'll be getting out of work around midnight or so and was initially looking for a place as close to work as possible but now I'm second guessing how wise it would be to walk to either place I had found online on craigslist (one being the University Park At Underground, and the other being an apartment at Piedmont Ave/International Blvd) I'm gonna give it a whirl at not having a car but even with that being said would I be better off getting a place in buckhead with a bus stop around the corner? I'm not overly concerned with the "nightlife" scene or anything like that, the most important thing is the cost and all 3 fall into my price range (500-600/month) but would i be asking for a hassle to rely on a bus to get me to/from work in buckhead?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 01:06 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Busses don't run late enough to accommodate those hours.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:15 PM

823 posts, read 2,215,805 times
Buses would be hard but trains run late enough to get you home on weekdays. However finding a place for $500-600 near a MARTA train would be a tall order.

Piedmont/International is about a mile from Philips and not in the best part of town. I don't know if I want to be walking around there around 12:30-1AM every day.

If you aren't going to be getting off until midnight and wait to explore not having a car I would either try to find a place near a train station (trains run until 1:30ish on weekdays) or near Philips. Look at the Jones Ave area of downtown. IIRC that was a pretty good deal.

ETA: MARTA's website is MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority. Just because a place has a "bus stop on the corner" does not mean a bus you want stops there or that it even has frequent service anywhere.

Living without a car in Atlanta can certainly be done (I am doing it) but it requires creativity and making some compromises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta