U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-13-2011, 09:08 AM

423 posts, read 853,857 times
Default Otters!

I saw two otters in the creek behind my house! I was so surprised, but according to the GA Dept of Wildlife, they are pretty common. Anyone else ever spot an urban otter in Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 09:12 AM

4,276 posts, read 3,673,681 times
I have heard lots of people spotting otters on the Chattahoochee.

But are you positive they are otters? I had what I thought were otters near my property, because I only saw their little heads above the water while they swam, so I thought they were otters.

Turns out, they were beavers.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:15 AM

Beavers! That is cool too. No, these were otters. The water was very clear, so I could see their entire bodies. I walked along the bank as far as I could watching them swim and play.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:33 AM

4,276 posts, read 3,673,681 times
That's awesome. As far as I know, otters are harmless and fun to watch.

If you ever see a beaver, though, you may need to call a trapper. They can be very destructive. They killed a lot of my bushes, which was no big deal, but the HOA had to have them removed because they were destroying people's trees and messing up the drainage of the whole subdivision.

If you see a little furry head sort of just floating along the surface (beavers keep their heads above water while they swim, they don't dive and submerge like otters), just make a noise. If it's a beaver, he will go into an escape dive and "slap" the surface of the water with his tail. It's loud! I don't know if they are technically nocturnal, but I pretty much only saw them after dark.

Be glad you have otters! It probably means your water isn't very polluted, too.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:05 PM

830 posts, read 669,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumboula View Post
I saw two otters in the creek behind my house! I was so surprised, but according to the GA Dept of Wildlife, they are pretty common. Anyone else ever spot an urban otter in Atlanta?
A few years ago, I saw a river otter in the Chattahoochee River at Jones Bridge Park. So cute! It made my day!

Old 12-13-2011, 04:33 PM

4,770 posts, read 5,132,958 times
I saw a large mammal that I thought could be either a beaver or otter on the banks of the Chattahoochee a few years back. Was told by someone there that it was a Nutria or River Rat, also called a Coypu.

Coypu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-14-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I saw a large mammal that I thought could be either a beaver or otter on the banks of the Chattahoochee a few years back. Was told by someone there that it was a Nutria or River Rat, also called a Coypu.

Didn't know there were nutria around here! I moved to Atlanta from New Orleans where they are a real nuisance burrowing into the levees. The sheriff gained local fame/infamy by sending out deputies to shoot them at night!

Old 12-14-2011, 08:40 AM

9,125 posts, read 21,174,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
That's awesome. As far as I know, otters are harmless and fun to watch.
FYI... they are fun to watch, but in the highly unlikely event they come up to you, they can (and do) bite. And they bite hard.

Another side-note: They will steal anything they can carry. If you live next to a creek that they travel on, it's not unheard of for them to go onto people's back porches and eat dog/cat food if it's out, steal shoe mats (or shoes) at the door, or even "lounge" on swings (and eat the cushions in the process). Yep, they're cute, but mischievous.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:28 PM

757 posts, read 488,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

Wow, I didn't think we had Nutria in the metro area. That's cool. I've heard people in the swamps down by New Orleans eat them.

Same with Otters, didn't know we had those in the metro either. That's whats up. I wouldn't mind seeing either one.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:10 AM

736 posts, read 595,802 times
How cool! I didn't know we had otters in the south, much less in urban areas. I've learned something new today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta