U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 11:07 PM

7,690 posts, read 9,534,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
ATLTJL, are you hoping that Gwinnett Place mall would reinvent itself as an traditional mall or as an Asian International Shopping Center?
I would like to see it reinvent itself as a traditional mall.

I think it is important to have a Sears in the area. If we lose Gwinnet Place, we will have to go to Northpoint.

I just don't think an international shopping center would benefit the area. Yes, there is a hefty Korean population, but Korean businesses are already extremely well represented in the area. I think a traditional shopping area more accurately reflects the demographics of the region. Consider that traditional shopping malls are fairly diverse and appeal to a wide variety of people. There is no reason the Korean population could not shop there. Korean businesses, however, are divisive and appeal only to Korean people. Half the time the shop owners do not even speak a language other than Korean and often (but not always) are not friendly toward non-Korean people. Traditional store owners tend to be friendly to everyone.

It's also for selfish reasons as I have little use for Korean businesses myself.

I'm not saying that I am totally against creating a Korean shopping mall. If it's a choice between a decent Korean mall or a Greenbriar mall, I'll take the Korean mall any day. I would just rather have it develop as an upscale traditional shopping destination.

I don't see why we couldn't do the same thing that Cumberland Mall did. Tear down the Megamart building and create in its place a grand entrance. Surround it with a Cheescake Factory, P.F. Changs, Houstons, and Maggianos, and it would be good to go. If we could create a mini-night life area around the mall like Perimeter did with locations for Uncle Julio's, Intermezzo, Eclipse de Luna, and so on, it would be even better! Or even just get something like a Tilted Kilt or Twisted Taco, that would work too....my vote would be for an Atkins Park.

The biggest problem is I'm just not sure the population around the mall would support it. It may be possible, though, if it could draw from as far down as Jimmy Carter and maybe a bit from the Suwanee crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 09:46 PM

12,912 posts, read 20,985,787 times
Very interesting article...

Gwinnett Place Mall’s future uncertain *| ajc.com

...uncertain future, but good things could be on the horizon.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:38 PM

I don't know if I see high-end condos and apartments on Pleasant Hill Road, but it's hard to imagine that anybody could do a worse job running the joint than Simon did.

If you think about it, most mall-type retailers don't want locations as close to each other as Mall of Georgia and GP are. I'm sure Simon cannibalized itself by encouraging the best retailers to go to Mall of Georgia.

It could be good, it could be bad....but I'm going to go ahead and hope that somebody who knows what he is doing revitalizes the area. It's ready for it.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:24 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,444,789 times
I've heard that several places like Abercrombie and Toni & Guy are not renewing their leases at Gwinnett Place because of Mega Mart. Honestly, I don't really blame them. I don't think it's the best fit for the mall. I visited it a few times hoping for the same level of service and quality I find at H Mart and Assi Plaza. I left disappointed, however. I'm personally glad to hear Simon is dropping their interest in the mall. I've heard that Simon has really lost all interest in marketing or improving the mall. Really, what reason would they have to improve the mall? It would just compete with the other 2 malls they own further down 85. Hopefully, a company with interest comes along and redevelops the property. The other business on Pleasant Hill are thriving. It's a shame to see the mall languish because of mismanagement and lack of concern.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:36 AM

134 posts, read 417,588 times
I remember Atlanta in the 90's when there was Shannon Mall/85S, and SouthLake Mall/75S on the southside of town. Lenox Mall just north of the 75/85 split. Cumberland Mall 75N and Perimeter Mall and futher up 85N was Gwinnett Place Mall. These were the heydays of the mall when Macys, Sears, JC Penney and Riches and such were anchor stores.

I remember Christmas' when you would go to a mall and be hard pressed to find a parking spot in the whole of the lot let alone one close to the entrance. And, I remember when West End Mall was regarded as a "less-than" mall.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:36 AM

22,157 posts, read 16,157,856 times
There is an over-saturation of malls in metro Atlanta. I visited the Gwinnett Place area last weekend for Wild Bills and was disappointed at the sea of pavement that stretched in all directions. They need some parks or greenspace around that area.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I've heard that several places like Abercrombie and Toni & Guy are not renewing their leases at Gwinnett Place because of Mega Mart
Thanks for telling me that. This is what I feared. A lot of people hailed Megamart as helping save Gwinnett Place Mall and making it an Asian shopping desitination. I was skeptical about having a store that has grocery and ballrooms in a shopping mall.

Looks like my concerns were valid. I mean, who goes to a shopping mall to do grocery shopping? Maybe if it was the only game in town, but since H-Mart, Assi, Great Wall, and others are right downt the street, what's the point in putting up with mall parking and other inconveniences? And how is Abercrombie supposed to thrive when stinky kim chi is right down the hall?

Of course, it could be just becasue Megamart sucks at what it does, not just because of what it is. I visited when it first opened and the grocery store looked fairly typical, but the clothing section was horrible. Selection was sparse and everything was overpriced. I couldn't imagine who would buy any apparel there.

Anyway, I don't know how familiar you are with GP, cqholt, but I think some of the sea of pavement you are referring to is parking that has always been there, but some of it is also the remnants of satellite busineses that have been demoed. By Fry's there is an abaondoned movie theater, but there also used to be one on the east side of the mall that now just looks like a paved field with grass growing up through the pavement. If you never knew there used to be a theater there, you might wonder what on earth it is doing there.

I have great concern for how permissive Gwinnett is being with the Korean owned businesses. Diversity is all well and good, but I don't think GP is an appropriate district to house businesses that will allow you to gamble on sports and get hand jobs so long as you know how to ask for them. Those kinds of places will always exist, and I don't even have a moral problem with that, just not next to a shopping mall. Put 'em on Buford Highway where they belong

A little more oversight and managment that cares would likely serve the Gwinnett Place area well and do much to save it. That is, if it isn't already too far gone to be saved.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:31 AM

22,157 posts, read 16,157,856 times
Quote:
Anyway, I don't know how familiar you are with GP, cqholt, but I think some of the sea of pavement you are referring to is parking that has always been there, but some of it is also the remnants of satellite busineses that have been demoed. By Fry's there is an abaondoned movie theater, but there also used to be one on the east side of the mall that now just looks like a paved field with grass growing up through the pavement. If you never knew there used to be a theater there, you might wonder what on earth it is doing there.
It was dark and I could see the mall across a football sized parking lot. Did notice there was no greenery and trees in the parking lot. This is whats happening to the inner-ring suburbs as people move farther out or back into the city. These older malls and shopping centers are falling into disrepair and lowering the property values in the vicinity. My opinion is Gwinnett needs to make a building moritoruim and force the redevelopment of these older shopping malls and centers.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:36 AM

7,113 posts, read 8,120,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollyoncruiser View Post
I remember Atlanta in the 90's when there was Shannon Mall/85S, and SouthLake Mall/75S on the southside of town. Lenox Mall just north of the 75/85 split. Cumberland Mall 75N and Perimeter Mall and futher up 85N was Gwinnett Place Mall. These were the heydays of the mall when Macys, Sears, JC Penney and Riches and such were anchor stores.

I remember Christmas' when you would go to a mall and be hard pressed to find a parking spot in the whole of the lot let alone one close to the entrance. And, I remember when West End Mall was regarded as a "less-than" mall.
Who'd have thought we would reminisce fondly about suburban malls like we used to about downtown department stores?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:37 AM

I wouldn't be against that idea, but it would have trouble passing in the county at large because Gwinnett is huge and if you can't build anything new, you will really stifle certain parts of the county.

I would encourage the redevelopment of GP and nothing new to be built in that vicinity, but I don't think there has been too much action around there in the way of new construction in the past 10 or 15 years anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or