U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 01:58 PM

953 posts, read 2,778,051 times

Advertisements

It doesn't even have to be Korean, but just a nice upscale shopping center targeted towards the Asian cliente.

It would be nice to have something like the diamond plaza in Irvine where you have mix of Japanese, Taiwanese, Chinese, Japanese, Korean retail stores all in one place. For the Gwinnett Place Mall to have even the slightest chance of a come back... it MUST reinvent itself to become that new HIP place for Asians to shop.

Nrgpill, if you haven't noticed... Pleasant Hill is basically the new Wilshire & Olymipic Blvd in the making. Gwinnett Place mall is located in the heart of Atlanta's new Korea Town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgpill View Post
Mega mart was never serious at that location. Basically if a Korean company is going to turn that sorry mall around, it would take nothing less than Chaebol money, but that money is better invested in places like Dubai.

If you really think the Ktown galleria is the model for Gwinett Place's future, I have another example for you. Koreatown Plaza on Western Ave is basically what you can expect KTown Galleria to look like in about 10-15 yrs. In other words, it's going to age horribly w/ mom and pop stores and constant 2-3 yr turnover. All shops are horribly overpriced and you see stuff like DVD/CD shops when most have already moved onto online streaming.

Oh, and don't get me started on the food court - no two trips to the same place tasted the same, ever. At least with Panda Express I know I am getting something that is consistently sub-par.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 02:30 PM

7,700 posts, read 9,540,558 times
Quote:
it MUST reinvent itself to become that new HIP place for Asians to shop.
So you think the whites, blacks, and/or Hispanics have no role to play in turning this mall around?

Making an area too immigrant-centric is a risky proposition. Unless the influx of Koreans continues, we'll soon be entering the second generation from these folks, kids who were born in America, went to American schools, and speak English much better than they speak Korean. They're not going to have much use for Asian only shopping.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:36 PM

425 posts, read 1,561,042 times
Mr Panda, i don't disagree w/ a lot of what you said but "hip" to me is vibe driven only when there is credible authenticity. A closed in mall to be hip would be an oxymoron unless it is something like an 8 story flagship Barneys.
But it's really not that hard to attract asians... build a plaza w/ Neiman's, Barneys Coop, LV, Zara, and Uniqlo. I guarantee all asians will congregate at this plaza, even from neighboring states.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:53 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgpill View Post
Mr Panda, i don't disagree w/ a lot of what you said but "hip" to me is vibe driven only when there is credible authenticity. A closed in mall to be hip would be an oxymoron unless it is something like an 8 story flagship Barneys.
But it's really not that hard to attract asians... build a plaza w/ Neiman's, Barneys Coop, LV, Zara, and Uniqlo. I guarantee all asians will congregate at this plaza, even from neighboring states.
I wish we did have a Uniqulo here, or at least an online store. The only place in the U.S. with that store is NYC currently.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:38 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,445,426 times
One idea for the mall that I thought was interesting was essentially demoing the entire mall, except for the anchors. Then carving small streets lined with stores and offices in between the original anchors. Also, it included building multiple decks in the old parking lots and adding more retail, office, and residential space, as well as green space. I believe this was put together by the Gwinnett Place CID. I'm not sure if it's even remotely feasible, but a great idea nonetheless.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:33 AM

425 posts, read 1,561,042 times
at this point I believe GPM needs a store mix that will draw from just more than the immediate vicinity. To me the GPM brand has been damaged to the point of not being able to survive on the "typical mall" mix, like the mall of GA. The type of businesses GPM should look for must be able to help the entire area. Just imagine if GPM was an Ikea instead. Would we even be talking about revitalizing the area today?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:14 AM

230 posts, read 394,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
One idea for the mall that I thought was interesting was essentially demoing the entire mall, except for the anchors. Then carving small streets lined with stores and offices in between the original anchors. Also, it included building multiple decks in the old parking lots and adding more retail, office, and residential space, as well as green space. I believe this was put together by the Gwinnett Place CID. I'm not sure if it's even remotely feasible, but a great idea nonetheless.
I saw a plan for Perimeter Mall that was very similar to this. Only saw it once, so i'm not sure how serious it was. I'll try to find the link latter. Maybe this is part of a larger trend?

Here is another plan by PCID, where they envision what Perimeter Mall might look like in future. If you go 75%-80% down you will find it.

Perimeter Livable Center Initiative - City of Dun Woody 102909 - FINAL

I actually prefer having an outdoor mall. It reminds me of a European high street. However, if GPM does go for this option, then hopefully they will block off the interior streets from traffic.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:41 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,960,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
It is about time for gwinnett place mall to transform to an upscale k-town galleria! Mega Mart is truly an embarrassment!

Mr. Panda, I am curious: what should Mega Mart be? - more upscale? Is it in the wrong place being at a mall that is failing? - I don't go to Gwinnett Place often, but I have to admit it is definitely not as appealing to shop at as it was in the 1990s or so. That whole area does look rough as the buildings around there have not aged well. Basically in metro Atlanta, too many malls have been built and the older ones have lost a lot of business due to several factors. Unfortunately, Gwinnett has lots of aged, emptied strip malls. It looks really bad driving around.

I do like some of the produce and hot food served at Mega Mart. I reread this thread and have to agree that the GPM was probably not the best place for a Korean grocer. A Korean grocer is an odd fit next to Macy's. I have wondered if the entire mall will shutter in time. There is still a lot of shopping in and around that area overall, so hard to say. I don't go to malls much anyway as I tend to look for cheaper goods elsewhere in strip malls. After reading this, I am not sure how that area of Duluth near 85 can be turned around or redeveloped to attract more business that appeals to more than the recent influx of Koreans.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:12 PM

19,113 posts, read 10,713,801 times
I lived about 15 minutes from Mall of Georgia....and would often drive to Perimeter or Lennox......just saying................

Old 02-24-2013, 07:41 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,116,155 times
Simon Properties to me is a prime example of those development-type of companies who assumed too much that they would be guaranteed profit because of the housing boom. And then when 2008 subprime mortgage meltdown hit, they ended up eating crap like everyone else.

But rather than lick their wounds and then finding a new strategy like building up their existing properties, advertising/hyping them up for potential new clients, or maybe renovating and remodeling for a new purposes, Simon would rather chase the same old model that screwed them up in the fist place. Stuff like that pisses me off.

You see developers like Fuqua pushing the same big box store/traffic choking models, you see Mall Property owners like Simon who will not adopt a new paradigm and leaves me shaking my head.

Now there is a new(or should I say old?) situation of companies buying foreclosed homes and renting them out or simply holding them for lord knows what reason. Looks to me like just another housing market bubble.

Companies go home-shopping around Metro area | www.ajc.com

Georgia just seems incapable of learning any sort of lesson from the last economic crisis. Why can't we simply learn to make do with we have and build up what we have? Why is there always this constant money chase for the sake of chasing money?

And our government constantly allows these companies to get away with following these ill-advised profit models. I guess we totally forgot those hard fought lessons from the 1930s.

Anyways, off that soapbox I go.

If it was up to me I would like Gwinnett Place Mall to be reconfigured into some outdoor open market-type of situation. I would like to see a walkable Asia town...or dare I say an Africa town!

Heck, I would like to see a factory there that builds stuff, if that's even possible for this country anymore.

But any of these situations that I desire would likely take some proactive and imaginative leadership and Georgia right sorely lacks that in both the public and private sectors.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 02-24-2013 at 07:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or