Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 02:48 PM

21 posts, read 82,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansmommy View Post
Does anyone know of any Spanish immersion programs for toddlers in Atlanta that are full-time and nice school? I looked at Tabula Rasa -only offers part time and not immressed with facility. Other than that I have not found anything close by (there are some in Alpharetta/Cumming and Buford but those are too far). Thanks!
Just take walk them around town, into stores, and especially convenience stores. They'll be immersed in Spanish alright. There's signs in Spanish everywhere, too, so they can learn to read. It's a good idea that they become immersed in what will be the national language in a ew years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 07:28 PM

31 posts, read 128,977 times
What do you call a person that speaks two languages? Bilingual
What do you call a person that speaks three languages? Trilingual
What do you call a person that speaks one language? American

Don't get angry with the messenger. This joke was actually made up by an American!

Old 01-22-2008, 06:05 AM

849 posts, read 3,526,897 times
Default math

has done nothing for me or my husband. however being adept at one language other than english from an early age seems to have programmed our brains to receive others even at the advanced age of 40ish. We learned Hebrew in full immersion, reading writing a second alphabet even. Europeans have ALWAYS been able to speak at least one language besides their own and most of them can functions in several.
You're right that math is a language but it is not universal. The problem with all the math emphasis is that our kids are learning to deal only with the material and concrete. There's no room for creative imagination and philosophy. In the past ALL those things were taught as being important and it is philosophy that has led to math and science. There's more to "prosperity" than a bunch of zeroes on a paycheck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
There's research that proves everything, from anything, from any side. If you want your kids to prosper, make sure they learn math and science, not Spanish. I have 4 years high school and a certificate in college for 2 years, all Spanish....

....I deal with more Indians, Asians, and Muslims than most people I know, they all speak English. We have a software team based out of India, they speak English. There's no Spanish....now if you're kids go into building construction, food, or want to program call waiting and ATM's then yes they need to know Spanish.

....Stick with the Math and Science....Math is a 'Universal' language.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:08 AM

Thumbs up you go girl

this grandma salutes you and suggests you google "spanish atlanta" I saw some schools on there, some of which have been posted in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansmommy View Post
Thanks for the info. I am looking for a program that takes place completely in Spanish - so that English speaker can learn in Spanish. Any info on Sandy SPrings Academy - website etc? thanks...

Old 01-22-2008, 11:10 AM

340 posts, read 1,576,579 times
Is there any Spanish community where kids can hear and talk in Spanish. I have a 12 years old son who is taking Spanish lessons at school and needs someone who speak with in Spanish. We live in down town Atlanta. Please help.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:19 AM

Default I saw something

either when I googled "spanish atlanta" or went into Mundo Hispanico I think it was an adult conversation group but I was looking for something else so just glanced at it. They may have a youth group too or maybe you and your son can start one

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityFan View Post
Is there any Spanish community where kids can hear and talk in Spanish. I have a 12 years old son who is taking Spanish lessons at school and needs someone who speak with in Spanish. We live in down town Atlanta. Please help.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:46 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
You're right that math is a language but it is not universal.

The problem with all the math emphasis is that our kids are learning to deal only with the material and concrete. There's no room for creative imagination and philosophy. In the past ALL those things were taught as being important and it is philosophy that has led to math and science. There's more to "prosperity" than a bunch of zeroes on a paycheck.
...thats fine you're entitled to your opinion, but you're wrong in that MATH IS UNIVERSAL

you emphasize Hebrew or Spanish, and I'll emphasize Math and Science and both our kid's will be "prosperous"......IMO, I feel mine will have financial/job security, they can learn Spanish on their own time...

...BTW, my step-brother is married to Mexican Green Card holder, with 3 kids 6, 10, 12..........'Spanish' hasn't done squat for them!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:41 PM

Default er, Inotice

this post is written in English. Why didn't you write it in mathese? Wouldn't we all understand it?
You second sentence is just what I'm talking about you can parse my sentences but there is no critical thinking or analysis of content. I didn't EMPHASIZE Hebrew or Spanish. I used them as examples. You were unable to extract the thought behind what I was saying and even ask a question for clarification. The point is that the parts of the brain that process oral language are next to the math center but not a part of it. They also function in a manner and connect with the creative, imaginative parts of the brain in ways that make the functions synthesize in a more efficient and effective way to learn and use information. All the great mathemeticians were also highly creative thinkers but not because they studied math. The derived their ground breaking mathematical theories because they could think and USE oral language.
Unlike the stereotypical image of the inarticulate nerd, serious higher mathemeticians are more often highly articulate and usually quite musically adept. BTW, I am in the 94th percentile in math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
...thats fine you're entitled to your opinion, but you're wrong in that MATH IS UNIVERSAL

you emphasize Hebrew or Spanish, and I'll emphasize Math and Science and both our kid's will be "prosperous"......IMO, I feel mine will have financial/job security, they can learn Spanish on their own time...

...BTW, my step-brother is married to Mexican Green Card holder, with 3 kids 6, 10, 12..........'Spanish' hasn't done squat for them!

Old 01-22-2008, 07:12 PM

Actually the Hispanic culture is comprised of multiraces: Spaniard, indigenous, African, Asian, and Caucasian, "multirracial"---just like the U.S. The Spaniards colonized the Latin American countries and its indigenous populations; the Portugese started and brought the African slave trade; there are generations of Chinese and Japanese immigrants living in Latin American countries; there are also large numbers of Jewish, Arab, and Hindu immigrants who have lived there for generations--just like in the U.S. And yes, they do speak Spanish.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:18 PM

Actually, Spain and Latin America is comprised of many races: Spaniards, indigenous, Asian, Middle Eastern, African, and Caucasian--just like in the U.S. The Spaniards settled and then colonized the indigenous civilizations; the Portugese started and brought the African slave trade; the British, the German, the Chinese, Japanese, Lebanese, Palestinian, Jews, French, and the Turkish have migrated and settled in Latin American countries for generations---just like in the U.S. And yes they do speak Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta