Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 5,582 times

Advertisements

Dear Iansmommy,

I was very interested to learn if you have opened a total immersion spanish school/ preschool. I could not locate any info in the thread. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 12:13 PM

21 posts, read 125,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliipewter View Post
Dear Iansmommy,

I was very interested to learn if you have opened a total immersion spanish school/ preschool. I could not locate any info in the thread. Thanks!
Hello! You can go to www.littlelinguistspreschool.com - website under construction! Thanks!!

Old 09-20-2008, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 5,470 times
Default Atlanta international school is allergic to black kids

I understand there is not a lot of choices in regards to serious immersion schools in Atlanta. Atlanta International School is a great school unfortunately they are allergic to black little kids. Therefore if you are a mother of a black boy like me don't waste your time applying. DON'T BOTHER ATTEND THEIR OPEN HOUSE IF YOU ARE BLACK. Unless you have a whole lot of money and know a lot of big wigs. Don't get me wrong they will gladly take your $100 application fee year after year after year as long as you are stupid enough to think they are gone to change their mind. It does not matter if your child has been exposed to a second language, speaks fluently a second language ( like my son), that he performs much higher than his required grade. It's the black factor.

I have met many mothers of little black kids who did not get their children into the schools after trying 3 years in a row trying to get them in. I have learned this year after rejecting these students that the school had empty seats in their first grade classes which they had rather kept empty instead of allowing them being occupied by a black student.

I moved here from Boston and was appalled at the level of racism involved in the admission process. It is only ironic that the school claims to be an international community. Currently my son plays soccer with two caucasian kids from AIS and their moms could not make any sense on the rationale for his 3 rejections from the school.

Has anyone else been noticing? As an international communtiy the school needs to reach out more to potential black students. But then again how ready are they to accept them and treat them as their white counterparts (should they ever initiate such measure) is another story.

We visited the Lycee Francais of New york and this backward/retarded attitude toward black little ones is totally non existent. We also had a great experience in Boston at the "L'ecole billingue de Boston" where the diversity was much more evident.

They claim to be in the business of preparing leaders for a global community. How hypocritical of AIS when they erect, daily, a huge wall of separation in regards to opportunities for a black student to acces their school. I would like to know if anyone out there have also been discriminated against by AIS just because of the color of their skin. Don't take my word for it go to their open house and see for yourself : ATLANTA INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL IS ALLERGIC TO BLACK KIDS WHILE PROUDLY DIVERSED ATL JUST SIT THERE WATCHING.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,469 times
Thumbs down Say no to tabula rasa academy

[FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Whatever you do do not take your child to Tabula Rasa academy on Riverside Dr. We tried Tabula Rasa as suggested by a friend, a school with a lot of potentials but they don't have a curriculum, the owner is a pathological liar and none of the teachers are licensed. Of course it will take you a whole entire year to figure that out. you should have seen what these people gave this kids for graduation. I invited my family to my child prek graduation it was a disaster. I was appalled at what the staff put together for these kids it was quite pitiful. I would say there was no planning, no regards for the families that left their home to go there. The French program is a total messs at Tabula Rasa you may as well throw your money in a well. the "graduation" presentation lasted exactly 5 minutes. One very bad song and that was it. They did not even bother to help the kids learn the song. Some days I pick up my son and he is watching cartoon in English with the teacher. the so called Pre K French teacher speaks only English with the kids. it was a major nightmare. so before you get your kids enrolled at Tabula make sure you investigate. I know myself and a lot of other parents don't plan to come back ever again to this school. About their expansion plan, that too is a major lie.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Old 09-21-2008, 04:13 PM

235 posts, read 835,010 times
Hi iansmommy
Thanks for posting your website, littlelinguistspreschool.com, I may check it out and come by for a visit.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,303 times
Smile We LOVE Tabula Rasa

We have been at the school for over 3 years and have been nothing but pleased with our children's education. They are completely bilingual at age 3 and 5 and now starting on French. Not to mention that they are are way ahead of their peers who attend other kindergarten and preschool programs in all areas of academia.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:12 PM

352 posts, read 1,421,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinymom View Post
I understand there is not a lot of choices in regards to serious immersion schools in Atlanta. Atlanta International School is a great school unfortunately they are allergic to black little kids. Therefore if you are a mother of a black boy like me don't waste your time applying. DON'T BOTHER ATTEND THEIR OPEN HOUSE IF YOU ARE BLACK. Unless you have a whole lot of money and know a lot of big wigs. Don't get me wrong they will gladly take your $100 application fee year after year after year as long as you are stupid enough to think they are gone to change their mind. It does not matter if your child has been exposed to a second language, speaks fluently a second language ( like my son), that he performs much higher than his required grade. It's the black factor.

I have met many mothers of little black kids who did not get their children into the schools after trying 3 years in a row trying to get them in. I have learned this year after rejecting these students that the school had empty seats in their first grade classes which they had rather kept empty instead of allowing them being occupied by a black student.

I moved here from Boston and was appalled at the level of racism involved in the admission process. It is only ironic that the school claims to be an international community. Currently my son plays soccer with two caucasian kids from AIS and their moms could not make any sense on the rationale for his 3 rejections from the school.

Has anyone else been noticing? As an international communtiy the school needs to reach out more to potential black students. But then again how ready are they to accept them and treat them as their white counterparts (should they ever initiate such measure) is another story.

We visited the Lycee Francais of New york and this backward/retarded attitude toward black little ones is totally non existent. We also had a great experience in Boston at the "L'ecole billingue de Boston" where the diversity was much more evident.

They claim to be in the business of preparing leaders for a global community. How hypocritical of AIS when they erect, daily, a huge wall of separation in regards to opportunities for a black student to acces their school. I would like to know if anyone out there have also been discriminated against by AIS just because of the color of their skin. Don't take my word for it go to their open house and see for yourself : ATLANTA INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL IS ALLERGIC TO BLACK KIDS WHILE PROUDLY DIVERSED ATL JUST SIT THERE WATCHING.
You are totally incorrect and I can tell you first hand its just as hard to get in AIS if you are white and your kid already speaks another foreign language. Its even hard to get siblings in. I also personally know coloured people at the school who would disagree with you. In fact if you compare private schools in Atlanta AIS has one of the highest diversities of any school.

Fact is AIS is way oversubscribed period whatever your colour is....................

Old 12-10-2008, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,254 times
Default Spanish Immersion Program

Try ABC's of Spanish and More, they are a small daycare located at Buckhead and have a very nice program ALL in Spanish, and talk with the parents, they are the best reference.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 9,481 times
Tabula Rasa is going to offer full time in August 2009 though. I have registered my 2yo and waiting for their full-time license. Facility looks OK to me.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:38 PM

381 posts, read 504,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Yet, you post no advantages of learning another language besides English. I've posted why I don't think it's beneficial even though I took 6 years of Spanish, my step-brother is also married to a green card holder from Mexico with 3 kids, all Mexican and fluent. So why is that racist?? and why dont' you provide examples??
the advantage is the same reasoning why a university degree is more desirable than a college degree... broaden one's education.

-a|ex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta