Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:59 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,386,464 times

Advertisements

Even if this was legal, I don't know how you could live without electricity or water for years to claim it. I'd rather pay lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 07:50 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,345,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Is it fair that we live in a society where gender and race determine whether the ability you have to succeed is measured before given the chance to try to compete?Or even just to live?
Lets not be so naive.
So of course there are extremes but hes FOLLOWING the law.LAW DOES NOT EQUAL MORALITY!!!!!!!
I never made the rules nor would I teach my kids to think good things in life should be given to you.However what I will teach them is when all else fails and they have exhausted all means,they should do all that is within the laws of society to protect themeselves and live knowing that they made a way by using and keeping their wits to survive.
Tax breaks for wealthy like corporate welfair,subsidies,and tax havens and shelters are destroying this country.Change the laws and maybe the need for people to do deparate things in bad times will dimish.
Do you really think I or anybody else would care a rats ass if I was doing what I had to survive?

This is why I had issues with the dude doing this.He has a college degree,another license and was in the military.He has no need to do any of this accept that he is greedy and has some type of complex where he feels hes getting over.I feel sorry for him because after his mother died I feel like he just wants to screw the world.Those not with him are against him.

I agree that if everyone did this it would be the collapse of our economy and way of life so I do NOT condone it under his reasoning.Especially to be so cavalier about it.
He may not be following the law. Googling a bit for his name suggests that he's selling classes teaching people how to do this and he even appeared in court when some of his pupils got arrested when the rightful owners showed up. Just b/c he hasn't gone to jail yet doesn't mean he won't in the near future once the ownership has been established. If not for the property he's squatting in, then he'll run afoul of others who follow him and then sue him for fraud when his strategy nets them prison.

Adverse possession is an anachronism of a bygone era when owners could fall off the face of the earth. In today's world of taxes, mortgages, etc...someone has claim to the property even if the homeowner walks away or the mortgage company collapses. Computerized records can trace any ownership and it's unlikely any entity w/ bodies left will simply let a few hundred grand walk off. If I were a bank, I'd be hiring Blackwater (or whatever they call themselves these days) to run training exercises through these homes. A few cowboys clearing houses w/ M-4's would protect their assets.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:27 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,500,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Indeed. If someone leaves their car unlocked and unattended, it really is anybody's for the taking, isnt it? As long as they take care of it and pay for the insurance, right? I mean, if you cant afford it, it doesnt mean you dont DESERVE it, right? Paying for stuff should be optional, and based purely on one's ability and willingness to pay. Next time you eat a nice meal at a restaurant, and then afterwards discover that, because their food was soooo good and tempting, you couldnt help but order more than you could afford, so really its their fault you cant pay, right? Surre. Certainly the waiter doesnt deserve a tip for selling you on the expensive items! Or, at worst, the rich guy sitting next to you should be forced to pick up your tab, because he clearly has more money than he needs.

ITS ONLY FAIR! After all.......
The problem with your car analogy is that this guy didn't move in while the owners were away on vacation; the house has been abandoned and the owners have walked away from it.

Your restaurant analogy makes little sense and doesn't even seem to be tangentially related to adverse possesion.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:51 AM

316 posts, read 653,363 times
I was somewhat expecting to see a shack in a slummy area, not a nice house like this one. Honestly these kind of things have been going on for years, even before the economy hit rock bottom and not just in Atlanta.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:22 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,379,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
If the economy doesn't get better soon and the unemployment benefits aren't extended, we may be hearing more and more stories like these...

Man moves into empty home, lives rent and mortgage free | www.wsbtv.com
Sounds like some gullible folks are going to be taken for a ride by this guy.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:41 PM

714 posts, read 812,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
The problem with your car analogy is that this guy didn't move in while the owners were away on vacation; the house has been abandoned and the owners have walked away from it.

Your restaurant analogy makes little sense and doesn't even seem to be tangentially related to adverse possesion.
The basic concept applies. A civilized society governed by reasonable norms and the rule of law cannot abide some taking what is not theirs by application of totally bogus "logic".

My analogies may or may not be apt. The bottom line is, someone owns that house, and it aint the squatter filth. If the mortgage company went belly up, its debtors own the company's assets, and have rights to the house waaaaaaaay before any wannabe squatter.

Get real. Squatters dont have any rights -- other than being summarily extracted, by force if necessary, from whatever abode they are attempting to STEAL.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:48 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,755,151 times
Quote:
The basic concept applies. A civilized society governed by reasonable norms and the rule of law cannot abide some taking what is not theirs by application of totally bogus "logic".

My analogies may or may not be apt. The bottom line is, someone owns that house, and it aint the squatter filth. If the mortgage company went belly up, its debtors own the company's assets, and have rights to the house waaaaaaaay before any wannabe squatter.

Get real. Squatters dont have any rights -- other than being summarily extracted, by force if necessary, from whatever abode they are attempting to STEAL.
Who owns it?Did you not hear that they said ownership has not been established.The mortgage company went out of business with no creditors.If in seven years no debitor is found or replys to the order,then bY LAW ,he can do what he is doing.Its in limbo.You may not like its a legal grey area.Its more of a moral issue.
You keep talking about "the law" as if it always means that "the law" is righteous.I can tell you that there is a huge segment of the population that does not see it as you do.

You will be happy to know that he was arrested last night for helping a client get back in by trespassing after his "client"was evicted.He was never evicted or arrested fo his owned house that he filed adverse action on.That should tell you it must be legal.
His dumb ass would be fine had he never gone on T.V. bragging.He hung up on me and cussed me out when I all I did was question him further on the legality and if he should be teaching other people to do this kind of stuff.He was telling the whole neighborhood what he was doing while he walked his dog.Almost taunting those people for being "stupid" enough to pay all that money for those houses.

I could say a lot more about his background but I know its gonna come out anyway.He has been in jail before but his case was dismissed for lack of evidence I think.You would think he would have kept a low profile.

He's delusional because he thinks hes helping people beat a crooked system and government.Dont get him start

Old 12-23-2011, 04:50 PM

714 posts, read 812,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Who owns it?Did you not hear that they said ownership has not been established.The mortgage company went out of business with no creditors.If in seven years no debitor is found or replys to the order,then bY LAW ,he can do what he is doing.Its in limbo.You may not like its a legal grey area.Its more of a moral issue.
You keep talking about "the law" as if it always means that "the law" is righteous.I can tell you that there is a huge segment of the population that does not see it as you do.

You will be happy to know that he was arrested last night for helping a client get back in by trespassing after his "client"was evicted.He was never evicted or arrested fo his owned house that he filed adverse action on.That should tell you it must be legal.
His dumb ass would be fine had he never gone on T.V. bragging.He hung up on me and cussed me out when I all I did was question him further on the legality and if he should be teaching other people to do this kind of stuff.He was telling the whole neighborhood what he was doing while he walked his dog.Almost taunting those people for being "stupid" enough to pay all that money for those houses.

I could say a lot more about his background but I know its gonna come out anyway.He has been in jail before but his case was dismissed for lack of evidence I think.You would think he would have kept a low profile.

He's delusional because he thinks hes helping people beat a crooked system
and government.Dont get him start
Do you understand balance sheets? Every company has one. There are assets and liabilities on it. If there are no liabilities outstanding when the company goes under, the original purveyors own the assets. If there are outstanding liabilities, the creditors own the remaining assets. At a minimum the city govt might take possession for unpaid back taxes. It's quite simple in concept. Sometimes the legalities can take time to work out, and that is what this is all about. Taking advantage of this time gap before the legal process can conclude.

Imaware there are thugs, miscreants and lowlifes who don't abide by the law because they choose not to. Its why I own three guns. In fact I have employed force to convince a late night visitor that my stuff was not his. He got the message, loud and clear.

Plenty of countries have weak legal systems. They are all impoverished, destitute and third world in nature. While no legal system is perfect, without one there is only chaos and misery for ALL. Our legal system works quite well for the vast majority of people. The rest are losers who basically are why we have prisons where they can be kept away from the rest of us.

Squatters are scum. They are a plague upon any neighborhood where they roost.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:14 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,755,151 times
Quote:
Do you understand balance sheets? Every company has one. There are assets and liabilities on it. If there are no liabilities outstanding when the company goes under, the original purveyors own the assets. If there are outstanding liabilities, the creditors own the remaining assets. At a minimum the city govt might take possession for unpaid back taxes. It's quite simple in concept. Sometimes the legalities can take time to work out, and that is what this is all about. Taking advantage of this time gap before the legal process can conclude.

Imaware there are thugs, miscreants and lowlifes who don't abide by the law because they choose not to. Its why I own three guns. In fact I have employed force to convince a late night visitor that my stuff was not his. He got the message, loud and clear.

Plenty of countries have weak legal systems. They are all impoverished, destitute and third world in nature. While no legal system is perfect, without one there is only chaos and misery for ALL. Our legal system works quite well for the vast majority of people. The rest are losers who basically are why we have prisons where they can be kept away from the rest of us.

Having a legal system does NOT mean anything if the people enforcing it are selective as to when and whom such laws should be upheld.That is why when people of authority should be held to the same standards .When thing law looses its morality as a guide,it becomes just another way where anarchy sets in the public consciousnesses.
"Robin Hood" came from this discourse.Roderick sees himself as a Robin Hood of sorts.When more people start thinking like this is when we have chaos or revolutions.Whether it be needed or not.Sometimes not for the better.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:48 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,340,594 times
Quote:

Generally, the kinds of people who squat in houses are lowlifes. I don't condone criminal types taking over houses and turning them into crime dens.

But, I have to wonder: If the house next door to you went vacant, and no one claimed ownership to it after a couple of years (no bank, no creditor, no individual), would you rather it just sit there rotting, or would you rather some nice individual come in, clean it up, and make it a working home (note I did not say some pond scum)? Would you despise his actions based solely on the principle that it's not his house, or would you like the fact that he was doing something to clean up an otherwise blighted eyesore in your neighborhood? I know that I would rather have a fixed up house than a dump based solely on principle.

If you were walking down the street and saw a $100 bill sitting on the ground, would you pick it up or would you leave it there because you deem it not yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta