Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 11:34 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
What about the owner of the mortgage? When the homeowner defaulted, he or she defaulted against a lien holder. Someone lent the homeowner money to buy the home secured by the property. They gave real money to pay for the home in exchange for future payments including interest regardless if the homeowner defrauded the bank. He's stealing the home from those interests. They may seem faceless but if you have a 401k, mutual fund or anything that invests in banks (or are a taxpayer), you're a victim. The less banks are able to recover from these defaults, the worse our investments/bailouts and the worse the damage to our own investments in homes that we are all currently paying for.

The lenders haven't abandoned the home until the end of the 7yr period. If the guy lasts that long w/o winding up in jail, then it's his but generally that simply isn't happening. As the other person in the video has shown these squatters are getting arrested once the rightful owners appear and they do appear since even the most worthless bank can't survive if people walk off w/ hundreds of thousands of assets. Short of the homeowner handing this guy the keys on the way out, then these people are all trespassing to take "adverse possession" and that means fraud or theft up front.

A victimless crime is playing poker w/ your friends...not attempting to take property from another party w/o their consent. The only other victimless crime I'm seeing is the dude's possessions being stolen while he was in jail for trespass. I do love his crocodile tears over items that were probably ill gotten to begin with. Dropping your wallet while burglarizing a place doesn't make you the victim.
He was not arrested for occupying the house.He still can legally stay there.The banks dont like to go after these types of case from what was stated on the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I'm not a libertarian nor am I white but it seems you need to bone up on your understanding of the libertarian platform.

Current Issues | Libertarian Party

Nothing about what these idiots are doing is libertarian. It's theft/anarchy under the guise of pulling one over "the man". Libertarians would strongly support the property rights of the lenders given they have a contract w/ homeowner to surrender the house should they default on the mortgage.

Civil disobedience is sitting in the front of the bus or some aspects of "occupying" Wall St. This is breaking and entering, criminal trespass, fraud, and theft by taking.

Personally, I'm a moderate Democrat...fiscally conservative but socially liberal. What precisely is racist about seeing these geniuses claim they've found some secret to taking homes from banks? Their buddies are all getting arrested and thrown out. Just b/c the bank they robbed is slow to react doesn't mean they won't. They have 7 years to claim their property and most will. The problem I have is these idiots are promoting this and trying to enrich themselves by instructing others to do the same thing. What happens if they try to take a home that isn't vacant?

They haven't studied some magical legal tome that proves this is legal. Instead it seems more likely they've poured over an old episode of the Simpsons.
Bart Carny - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This was my main concern.I totally agree.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math Commando View Post
LOL. He can't "take a house". He can merely occupy it until the rightful owners have him removed. They haven't done it yet because it's a non-priority. The mortgage company probably has hundreds of houses like this. As long as he isn't damaging the property he'll be okay in the short term.
True.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:46 AM

283 posts, read 375,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeStudentinAtl View Post
i think it is so funny that many are calling him a low life and crackhead lol

because people have been doing this for years, but for a man that looks like he doesn't belongs,,there is a major problem...

I really believe if it was a white guy taking advantage of the situation, there would be no news media or discussion of the property. neighbors would not complain. Life would go on ,,little jonny got a 340k house for 16 woohoo.. good for him.

the neighbors might even have group discussions, "how can we do this"

but you know he is a crackhead lowlife so he doesn't deserve to be there..
Not to jump on the "racism" bandwagon, but this is essentially part and parcel with the way things are in most parts of America. A lot of people want to rationalize events like redlining and white flight - those happened because many people out there simply do not want to live around or next to people who don't look like them. That's just plain simple. If Roderick Walker was just your average white American male, there wouldn't be as much outrage about this adverse possession issue. In fact, he'd get kudos for "taking advantage of a golden opportunity."

Instead, you have a black guy who may or may not be suffering from an undiagnosed mental illness being called a crackhead and a lowlife for worming his way through a loophole in state law. This isn't a case of "stealing someone else's property" when said property is effectively in limbo.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:52 AM

714 posts, read 813,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post
Not to jump on the "racism" bandwagon, but this is essentially part and parcel with the way things are in most parts of America. A lot of people want to rationalize events like redlining and white flight - those happened because many people out there simply do not want to live around or next to people who don't look like them. That's just plain simple. If Roderick Walker was just your average white American male, there wouldn't be as much outrage about this adverse possession issue. In fact, he'd get kudos for "taking advantage of a golden opportunity."

Instead, you have a black guy who may or may not be suffering from an undiagnosed mental illness being called a crackhead and a lowlife for worming his way through a loophole in state law. This isn't a case of "stealing someone else's property" when said property is effectively in limbo.
Oh yes. If only he were an "average" white male. Then gold would fall from the sky, the police would give him a dozen red roses instead of an arrest warrant and women wouldnt mind being raped by him....hahah. Sure mr Williams. Sure.

If only Nicole Brown had been hacked to death by a white ex NFL player instead of OJ. Then whites wouldn't have cared whether he was convicted. Surely. In dream land.

Next time the guy down the street isn't using his car, thus it's "in limbo", try "borrowing" it without asking. We average white males do this all the time. People love when we "take (temporary) possession without asking". Sure, Mr Williams. Sure they do. We get "kudos" in fact.

The dude is squatting in the house so that he can steal it from the rightful owner. If that's a golden opportunity then robbing a bank of money people "aren't currently using" must at least be a platinum idea.... (especially if an average white guy robs it!)

The absurd rationales people come up with to justify criminal behavior are mostly laughable. Sort of like those idiotic emails we all get from Nigerian scammers. They are plainly utter falsehoods but some folk are so gullible for most any hair brained idea. The rest of us have to stand up to the illegal behavior, no matter how crazy or foolish, or ridiculous, as the less well educated and less savvy are easy prey.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:40 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Oh yes. If only he were an "average" white male. Then gold would fall from the sky, the police would give him a dozen red roses instead of an arrest warrant and women wouldnt mind being raped by him....hahah. Sure mr Williams. Sure.

If only Nicole Brown had been hacked to death by a white ex NFL player instead of OJ. Then whites wouldn't have cared whether he was convicted. Surely. In dream land.

Next time the guy down the street isn't using his car, thus it's "in limbo", try "borrowing" it without asking. We average white males do this all the time. People love when we "take (temporary) possession without asking". Sure, Mr Williams. Sure they do. We get "kudos" in fact.

The dude is squatting in the house so that he can steal it from the rightful owner. If that's a golden opportunity then robbing a bank of money people "aren't currently using" must at least be a platinum idea.... (especially if an average white guy robs it!)

The absurd rationales people come up with to justify criminal behavior are mostly laughable. Sort of like those idiotic emails we all get from Nigerian scammers. They are plainly utter falsehoods but some folk are so gullible for most any hair brained idea. The rest of us have to stand up to the illegal behavior, no matter how crazy or foolish, or ridiculous, as the less well educated and less savvy are easy prey.

Everyone's so vehemently interested in proving that they are not racists and classists that they refuse to understand that there are only two types of people - criminals and non-criminals. And the non-criminals should be "standing up" against the criminals, not mindlessly defending them. Whether they are politicians taking bribes for votes, bureaucrats using their office for personal gain, or people taking whatever they want because "they deserve it!" - they are still criminals. And the more you excuse them, the more they feel they have a right to take still more, from whomever. Of course, the apologists among us call that 'naive" - until it is taken from them.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:29 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
This case is a little different than the other.The bank went of business and no one has claimed the house as an asset .The home owner simply walked away.
I would never do it but if what he is doing is legal and he cannot afford a house himself,I say more power to him.I have seen houses in neighborhoods(including mine)that are nice but are in limbo. No one taking care of the grass,the house get vandalized because they are empty and by then there is no chance of anyone getting the house legally.
As long as they are not doing illegal stuff and taking care of the property,so be it.Not how I would like to live but if its between this and being homeless....Then Beverly Hills here I come.LOL.People shoot themselves in the foot by being too righteous sometimes.
See bold above. As a former banker and that of a failed bank, I have some knowledge of the subject.

Just b/c a bank failed, doesn't mean that loan/property/assets is not owned by someone else now. In fact, it is a 100% certainty that someone owns that loan/property now. Some other financial institution. That financial institution is sifting through all of the loans it acquired through the failure of the original bank and will eventually get to this loan. When they do, they will make sure they get possession of the property back OR perhaps walk from the property (not likely, especially looking at the property/neighborhood...if it is was Detroit/Cleveland, maybe).

This guy is getting free rent for a while (good for him), but the new bank will take it back. There is an owner of the loan/property. They will catch up to this property.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:49 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post

It's not in limbo. The bank or its creditors own that home still. The only time a property would truly be in limbo is if the homeowner owned the property outright, walked away or died and had no creditors or heirs. Then short of the gov't taking the property due to unpaid property taxes, the ownership would be unknown. In these cases, the owner is simply slow in coming forward b/c they do own a lot of foreclosed homes and making sure squatters aren't in any of them can be overwhelming.

There isn't a loophole in the law. If I take a year long vacation from my home, it's not in limbo. It's private property. Anyone that goes inside is trespassing. Ownership is not disputed...it's the lien holder that has the title. If I break in the door of my neighbor's Pied-à-terre b/c I haven't seen him in a year, I'm breaking and entering, not taking advantage of golden opportunity.

It is a civil matter simply b/c nobody saw him kick the door in. His buddies have already been arrested and evicted (as have the guys in Texas) when the owner of the homes they tried to squat in showed up. It turns criminal as soon as the bank shows up w/ papers.

The dude could be a perfectly groomed white guy wearing an Armani suit and five figure Rolex and he'd still be a low-life thief. If the guy in the video went about his business quietly, maybe they'd leave him alone but instead he's promoting his services in perpetuating this fraud. It's not legal and wrangling more morons into the game makes it more expensive for banks to go around evicting them. Perhaps at some point there will be enough resources to start throwing out these idiots far more quickly so they stop trying to pass off this charade as "business".

Old 12-28-2011, 10:29 AM

73 posts, read 154,797 times
Quote:
It's not in limbo. The bank or its creditors own that home still. The only time a property would truly be in limbo is if the homeowner owned the property outright, walked away or died and had no creditors or heirs. Then short of the gov't taking the property due to unpaid property taxes, the ownership would be unknown. In these cases, the owner is simply slow in coming forward b/c they do own a lot of foreclosed homes and making sure squatters aren't in any of them can be overwhelming.

There isn't a loophole in the law. If I take a year long vacation from my home, it's not in limbo. It's private property. Anyone that goes inside is trespassing. Ownership is not disputed...it's the lien holder that has the title. If I break in the door of my neighbor's Pied-à-terre b/c I haven't seen him in a year, I'm breaking and entering, not taking advantage of golden opportunity.

It is a civil matter simply b/c nobody saw him kick the door in. His buddies have already been arrested and evicted (as have the guys in Texas) when the owner of the homes they tried to squat in showed up. It turns criminal as soon as the bank shows up w/ papers.

The dude could be a perfectly groomed white guy wearing an Armani suit and five figure Rolex and he'd still be a low-life thief. If the guy in the video went about his business quietly, maybe they'd leave him alone but instead he's promoting his services in perpetuating this fraud. It's not legal and wrangling more morons into the game makes it more expensive for banks to go around evicting them. Perhaps at some point there will be enough resources to start throwing out these idiots far more quickly so they stop trying to pass off this charade as "business".
You just don't get it, do you? It's not merely an issue of having the right paperwork. You have to claim the items in question. If nobody disputes your ownership then it's okay that you didn't claim ownership, but if someone does then you have to provide the paperwork. If you're to lazy too actually provide proof then you deserve to take the loss. That's the way things work in this country and it's not a damn loophole. It's intentional!

Old 12-28-2011, 11:11 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Math Commando View Post
You just don't get it, do you? It's not merely an issue of having the right paperwork. You have to claim the items in question. If nobody disputes your ownership then it's okay that you didn't claim ownership, but if someone does then you have to provide the paperwork. If you're to lazy too actually provide proof then you deserve to take the loss. That's the way things work in this country and it's not a damn loophole. It's intentional!
I say it's not a loophole if you'd read (it's in the chunk you quoted). I'm not disagreeing that it takes more than filing a paper to obtain ownership. I'm saying that short of having the keys, the people are entering these homes illegally which is criminal to make their own claim. If you haven't noticed, I posted several articles where associates of these guys are being arrested for breaking and entering, theft, and other crimes. What precisely is different from these guys and petty crooks breaking into homes owned by private individuals? They're just making lives more difficult for rank and file bank employees that have to exert time and money (and gov't resources in courts and deputies) to kick these idiots out.

The banks aren't lazy...they're overwhelmed by the sheer # of foreclosures they have to deal with. Banks are setup to originate and service loans...not repossess and liquidate. A loan officer isn't going to be very good at changing locks, and kicking squatters out. Yes, the loans have been sliced/diced into near oblivion but there is paperwork out there to align each house w/ its owner(s).

You're welcome to peruse GA's laws but nothing here says what they've done is on the up and up since they have to break in to take possession. That's not peaceable. If they hired a locksmith, they forged ownership documents. That would probably fall in with fraud. Virtually any way short of the keys being in the door (or they were the homeowners), they did something wrong to get there making their possession invalid.
Georgia's adverse possession law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta