Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 07:47 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by futrMrsJ View Post
Ummm... Okay...so who are YOUR agents? We haven't had any moving violations or otherwise in at least two years, no accidents since we've been with them - I've had one accident and that was in '95 or '96 and my fiance has had one also but even further out than that.

Maybe it's the agent???
Try calling their general 800 number and call for a new customer quote instead of transferring. If it's the same, then you know it's right. You can also try Progressive or other insurance carriers. It seems silly that you wouldn't want to move JUST because you'll have to pay an extra $500 on insurance, especially when the cost of other living expenses will far outweigh that extra money spent on insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 08:07 AM

131 posts, read 492,704 times
My insurance dropped drasticly when moving from Denver, CO. Don't forget to shop around. It is worth it to check out the competition.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:17 AM

16 posts, read 53,150 times
When I lived in Lilburn, GA I decided to change my mailing address to a PO Box in Norcross. I got a letter that my insurance was going up because that area was considered riskier for them. So decided to change back to my street address for that bill...and got it reverted. Silly insurance people.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:28 AM

88 posts, read 304,221 times
Update - we found out the quote didn't include myself and my fiance. Only him and he just turned 30 and he's still technically "single". So that's why it was so high.

I was definitely still going to move just a little discouraged that I wouldn't have allstate as a carrier. I have been more than pleased with their service....we're back on track now until I have another question about the many things we have to do to relo - geez, this is a lot!

Thanks for all of your help!

Old 08-31-2007, 05:49 PM

245 posts, read 652,655 times
It's obvious accidents play a big role around here. My vehicles are older, so I haven't had collision/comprehensive in years and my premiums are based on nothing but liability. Things are significantly higher here than in TN or MO. And once here, even moving from Alpharetta to Roswell was a pretty decent jump. My credit was excellent and I was in the best class as far as that goes. No points, no CLUE claims. My commute is all of 12 miles daily, and I put about 10,000 per year on both vehicles combined. Most insurance companies will send you a notice of adverse action if your credit scores result in higher rates.

That said, I know what it costs here is still substantially less than it is in many states. I cringe when I read about people paying several thousand a year.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:13 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futrMrsJ View Post
We're relocating to either Suwanee or Buford GA. We've received a quote from Allstate - b/c it's our current carrier and we wanted to stay with them, however there's an increase in our policy of $500!
When I spoke with my agent here he said he'd expect that insurance in GA would be cheaper but clearly this isn't the case.
I'm pretty sure the quote will be the same with all Allstate offices as they use the same system (I think) and with that said I refuse to move to GA where practically everything is cheaper than here in Naperville/Aurora, IL and pay MORE for auto insurance. That's just plain crazy! Am I being bamboozled or has anyone else experienced this?

Just to give you an idea I moved from Chicago to Aurora and saw a decrease in my coverage by $300. Now with all things equal (policy-wise) I'm being told it'll cost more to cover me in Buford or Suwanee which are both well outside of the "inner-city" or city limits where crime is often higher...I just don't get it. Can anyone offer any advice here - other places to try or similar experiences and what you've found or learned in this instance? I just don't see how I'd pay more there - maybe an equal policy but NOT More. geez!

Please Help!
Hi,
just my personal expirience. I am living in FL now but relocating to GA Oct 1. I called my current agent about my car and asked for the same exact policy and coverage for the same car that I have in Fl for GA. My quote was 100.00 a yr more BUT....I have two portions of it that are actually higher limits than what I have now due to the fact that some of the limits there are higher requirements by law than they are in FL...So when I look at that ..I get more insurance coverage (the law) and pay more..Makes sense to me...I think 100.00 a yr is not to bad...500.00 more is HUGE...I would check the rate differences and why...get details and see if there is more coverage vs what you have now where you reside...Just my take...Good Luck...Lisa

Old 08-31-2007, 09:05 PM

612 posts, read 2,778,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibseysgirl View Post
Hi,
just my personal expirience. I am living in FL now but relocating to GA Oct 1. I called my current agent about my car and asked for the same exact policy and coverage for the same car that I have in Fl for GA. My quote was 100.00 a yr more BUT....I have two portions of it that are actually higher limits than what I have now due to the fact that some of the limits there are higher requirements by law than they are in FL...So when I look at that ..I get more insurance coverage (the law) and pay more..Makes sense to me...I think 100.00 a yr is not to bad...500.00 more is HUGE...I would check the rate differences and why...get details and see if there is more coverage vs what you have now where you reside...Just my take...Good Luck...Lisa
Lisa, when I moved up from Tampa, mine went from $2200 to $980 per year.

I was shocked it was that much cheaper, then again, I've used the same company for 12 years, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. It's worth shopping around though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta