Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 10:07 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyte3k View Post
I want to know this issue as well. Personally, I don't see why any state has a slogan, an image, or cool font. A license plate is a utilitarian item issued by the government to identify a motor vehicle. A simple two-color (white plate with black font) plate would suffice... a la european tags.

I would think so much money could be saved if we had a simple plate that never gets redesigned, only uses two-colors and serves its generic purpose. No college teams, no schools, no messages, no alternative colors, no religious views, no vanity plates. Leave that to bumper stickers. That's like having balloons as the background image for my driver's license picture.
Yeah, but I think all those school/organization tags make money for those groups. I don't really have a problem if an INDIVIDUAL wants to pay to have a religious slogan on his tag. However, it's unconstitutional for a state to promote religion. Plus I enjoy looking at the various tags. It's a fun, cheap way to promote the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 04:29 PM

15 posts, read 38,160 times
"The Constitution itself only addressed the issues of religious liberties and the separation of church and state by stating in Article VI that "no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." During this period, Washington and other founders worked to write, refine, and pass the consititutional amendments known as The Bill of Rights.

These modifications to the core document were particularly critical to the religious bodies that had lacked full rights under colonial governments. Roman Catholics, Quakers, Jews, and other small Protestant sects had been subject to discriminatory laws restricting their civil and economic liberties, and each was eager to have the government – particularly the President – acknowledge and protect their rights.

In each case, Washington replied quickly, frequently borrowing phrases from the letters sent to him for his response. He consistently promised that "liberty of conscience" would be protected in the United States with one condition: that all "who demean themselves as good citizens" would be afforded the freedom to worship as they pleased without interference from the government."

Introduction (http://www.gwirf.org/index.php/exhibits/gw-letter-to-the-hebrew-congregation-in-newport-ri.html - broken link)

Having to pay to not have "In God We Trust" on your license plate is religious interference from the government...

Old 01-03-2012, 08:01 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,991 times
Well, I'd pay the $1 for 'In God We Trust', which is nothing compared to the extra $10 the State raised my GT tag this year which is used to supplement their depleting budget.

There's alot more things I could complain about over my Tax (Fee) tag money going towards than a damn plate sticker for $1. How bout making the electric car drivers pay 50% more for their tag to drive in the HOV lane? If the car is so efficient, they should be sitting idle in traffic and letting the gas guzzlers, who paid a gas guzzler tax use the HOV lanes as they spew more emissions when idle.

I don't think I should have to pay for a carry permit which cost more than $1 and yet many of these anti-god everywhere folks' b/c of the constitution' are the same folks who don't want me carrying a gun. So which is it?

Old 01-04-2012, 06:59 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Well, I'd pay the $1 for 'In God We Trust', which is nothing compared to the extra $10 the State raised my GT tag this year which is used to supplement their depleting budget.

There's alot more things I could complain about over my Tax (Fee) tag money going towards than a damn plate sticker for $1. How bout making the electric car drivers pay 50% more for their tag to drive in the HOV lane? If the car is so efficient, they should be sitting idle in traffic and letting the gas guzzlers, who paid a gas guzzler tax use the HOV lanes as they spew more emissions when idle.

I don't think I should have to pay for a carry permit which cost more than $1 and yet many of these anti-god everywhere folks' b/c of the constitution' are the same folks who don't want me carrying a gun. So which is it?

That doesn't make one lick of sense.

Actually, none of your post makes any sense.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post

That doesn't make one lick of sense.

Actually, none of your post makes any sense.
What, people can't make smart azz comments , but I'm serious about the carry fee

Old 01-04-2012, 07:54 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
... these anti-god everywhere folks' b/c of the constitution' are the same folks who don't want me carrying a gun.
So it's the pro-God people who want you carrying a gun?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
So it's the pro-God people who want you carrying a gun?

didn't say anyone wanted me to carry, I'm referring to some of the quasi-constitutionalist, they'll cry fowl about 'God' and cite the constitution but then cry foul about guns. That's all I'm saying.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:41 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Hm, I guess I understand you, but maybe not. The Constitution says we have the right to bear arms AND that the gummint has no business messing with religion. So it's hard to see how the pro-God-in-government crowd and the pro gun folks would have anything in common, constitutionally speaking.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:32 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
Quote:

What is this I don't even...

Old 01-05-2012, 11:44 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Hm, I guess I understand you, but maybe not. The Constitution says we have the right to bear arms AND that the gummint has no business messing with religion. So it's hard to see how the pro-God-in-government crowd and the pro gun folks would have anything in common, constitutionally speaking.

Umm...this

Also wanted to add that I am not a religious person but also support the right to bear arms. So to say that people who don't want God also don't want guns is incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta